New York FW -conclusion

mdankwah

Reaction score
Since fashion week is over today and judging by the collections, i have a feeling of what ralph lauren's might be. So i'm just gonna give my verdict. Maybe it's me but i was very disappointed in every single collection i sae even the one's i thought would excel - zac posen, donna karan, marc jacobs, calvin klein and many more. New York seems to me to be loosing the touch and becoming way too safe. I prefer London much more because of the ability to bring the unexpected.

i have to agree with your statment. All the collections seemed overly done (meaning - been there, done that) Like you said, the collections were extremely safe (= $$) and very commercial (= $$$$). Nothing really was striking. I'm not feeling the washed out pastels (at all). That said, the collections I did like (for the most part) were Behnaz Sarafpour, Luella Bartley and Perry Ellis. Worst was Marc (please move on to something else), Marc by Marc (the Marc girl and guy need to grow up - this infactuation with high school circa the 70's and 80's is TIRED!) and Michael Kors (Kor's traveling socialite needs to settle back home and become more in tune with city life.)

I think it was all about Rosa Cha and hot girls with bouncy assets and god bless N. Rodriguez for those tight little tops made for real busts...and just for hot girls in general, NY has the hottest girls. That's what I think, isn't that what fashion is all about anyway? Who cares about mousey librarians or the words 'girly', 'feminine', 'light', and 'pencil skirt' or about any of that deep broading that takes place about clothes most of the posters here can't wear (because they're men)? Breasts. It's all about breasts.

from what I've seen, I only liked Oscar de la Renta's collection and Proenza Schouler's colors and prints. Other than that, I was dissapointed. everything seemed quite repetitive and unoriginal.

NY SP/SU was a dud for the most part. I loved the BCBG collection but wasn't really impressed with anything else. There's still hope that Paris will really sparkle.

Originally posted by MulletProof@Sep 15 2004, 05:03 PM
from what I've seen, I only liked Oscar de la Renta's collection and Proenza Schouler's colors and prints. Other than that, I was dissapointed. everything seemed quite repetitive and unoriginal.
[snapback]368479[/snapback]​

i tend to agree with only one more addition. i nominate calvin klein bc i really think that costa is the torchbearer for american minimalism...sure color and individualism is in now, but i think that realistically most people come back to the simplicity of a spare but perfect wardrobe like costa put out...vogue said it right when it said that calvin klein is our answer to giorgio armani

Originally posted by datura001@Sep 15 2004, 06:00 PM
Breasts. It's all about breasts.
[snapback]368471[/snapback]​

Uh. Maybe for you. I don't think everyone else feels that way.

I just want to say thank you to all the wonderful people on tFS that have bought fashion week in NY to this forum. Thanks for all the pictures of the runway coverage,the insiders info and also the backstage pictures. I have loved reading everyones opinions on each designer. The closeups of the make up and hair are something special that the average person doesn't usually get to see. And last but not least the models, I really missed going to fashion week this season but getting to see who made what show an rooting for our favorites was a lot of fun.
You guys are great, if I were a big fashion magazine editor I would hire you in a second. Thanks again. :flower: :heart:

Since fashion week is over today and judging by the collections, i have a feeling of what ralph lauren's might be. So i'm just gonna give my verdict. Maybe it's me but i was very disappointed in every single collection i sae even the one's i thought would excel - zac posen, donna karan, marc jacobs, calvin klein and many more. New York seems to me to be loosing the touch and becoming way too safe. I prefer London much more because of the ability to bring the unexpected.

Sorry, but I disagree completely. Maybe I just like everything, but I think that the NY designers bring what they are good at and what sells. This is a business afterall, and the point is to sell clothes. Maybe safe may not be exciting, but it sells and keeps the customers happy. Also, are people's expectations becoming a bit too high? It seems that no matter what route the designer takes, many people criticize every single thing- not that that is wrong, but I think that you have to take it for what it is and respect that designer's vision.

The only collection I really loved was Perry Ellis. The rest were so boring and felt like it was a late 90s revival in minimalism. I mean, minimalism can be great and all but I just felt the timing wasn't right and it wasn't done too well either. Marc Jacobs just plainly had lots of ugly clothes and for once the styling didn't work for it either. I didn't really feel any of the collections, it was just all so bland.

I actually found this NY fashion week very inspiring from the little tid bits of what I've seen. There were some very boring collections (Proenza and Marc by MJ) but there were some real gems hidden in them. I only saw a pic of two but I loved Anna Sui's cowboy chic, Donna had AMAZING shapes, Perry Ellis was GREAT, Calvin was also excellent.

Like I said, I found a lot of inspiration in this week hidden here and there.

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Sep 15 2004, 10:13 PM
Sorry, but I disagree completely. Maybe I just like everything, but I think that the NY designers bring what they are good at and what sells. This is a business afterall, and the point is to sell clothes. Maybe safe may not be exciting, but it sells and keeps the customers happy. Also, are people's expectations becoming a bit too high? It seems that no matter what route the designer takes, many people criticize every single thing- not that that is wrong, but I think that you have to take it for what it is and respect that designer's vision.
[snapback]368782[/snapback]​

I don't think we need to accept mediocrity just because it's someone's vision. There exists both commercial and critical success. Finding success on both levels is extremely difficult to do. Fashion is a business like you say and surely, a collection like Michael Kors' will sell like hotcakes. The Michael Kors client doesn't care what Cathy Horyn or the users of TFS think. She buys consistently and relentlessly. Early and often, as they say! :lol:

I personally think this was one of the worst NYFW on record. I can count the shows I enjoyed on one hand. I don't think my expectations are high. I've seen much better fashion come out of New York than what designers are doing as of late.

I was watching ENews yesterday, and found it amusing when they said all of the hottest celebrities flocked to New York for the equally hottest fashion week.

How ironic.

Yes, New York has been yawn-inducing and disappointing; my favourite collection being Luella Bartley.

Can't wait for Paris for real fashion, and London for something fresh and exciting.

i always wait for Paris, London and MiLAn thats where the REAL action is though without Tom Ford i dont know abt Milan
otherwise NewYork was rather uninspiring in most parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->