Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds/The Birthday Party

lollicandy

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on him or Birthday Party so I thought I'd start one.

I prefer the Birthday Party over Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds but both are great.

Also, what brought this to mind was the fact that I was just watching this Burger King commercial and I think they just ripped off part of "Shivers" from Nick's first band, The Boys Next Door. I'll try to find vids of each to compare.

Here's Nick's feet to kick it all off. There's other musicians feet at www.votos.de

I have a ton of Nick Cave photos from Birthday Party era that just ooze a nasty, cool vibe, but unfortunately I don't have any credits for them I so wish I could share them with you guys, I'll try my best to find credits.

Release the bats!!

Attachments

• artsguardiancoukOwsnitziAnickcavefeet.jpg
    artsguardiancoukOwsnitziAnickcavefeet.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of both The Birthday Party and the Bad Seeds. I was introduced by the former, and ended up preferring the latter by a hair because Nick Cave plays the piano so menacingly well...

Saw Nick Cave perform live in Belfast years ago - a small venue, we all sat there on our schoolroom-style chairs as he alternated between giving readings and sitting at the piano. Then he started playing the intro to 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' and you started wondering, how is he going to do it without Kylie Minogue... then unannounced, out she stepped onto the stage. Two stars for the price of one, that night. Fantastic.

^ Wow!!! What readings? His poetry or his books? I've always wanted to read King Ink, and The Angel and the ***, haven't gotten around to getting a copy of either.

Other than Morrissey, he is the other real rock icon I would love to see in person.

And its McDonald's I really don't know why I kept writing Burger King!! I did it twice, lol.

Jennifer~ I do love the Bad Seeds and the whole piano thing; one of my all time favorite songs is Your Funeral, My Trial. For me Bad Seeds is a more contemplative, less raw. I kind of like how they sort of compliment one another, the 2 bands. But the Birthday Party is just reckless and raucous!

Also, I love Nick Cave, but I really really can't stand Grinderman.

"Hands up, who wants to die?!", theres so many good lines from the Birthday Party.

Wait, am I being silly, but isn't the thread title 'Nick Drake'? All posts seem to be about Nick Cave...

Did someone merge my thread???

because Nick Drake and Nick CAVE are NOT the same !!!!

They couldn't be more different, LOLZ.

Help undo undo!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: sorry sorry.
I was so sure there was an old Nick Cave one around that I trusted the search button too quickly. Back to normal now. :P

^ Wow!!! What readings? His poetry or his books? I've always wanted to read King Ink, and The Angel and the ***, haven't gotten around to getting a copy of either.

Other than Morrissey, he is the other real rock icon I would love to see in person.

And its McDonald's I really don't know why I kept writing Burger King!! I did it twice, lol.

Jennifer~ I do love the Bad Seeds and the whole piano thing; one of my all time favorite songs is Your Funeral, My Trial. For me Bad Seeds is a more contemplative, less raw. I kind of like how they sort of compliment one another, the 2 bands. But the Birthday Party is just reckless and raucous!

Also, I love Nick Cave, but I really really can't stand Grinderman.

"Hands up, who wants to die?!", theres so many good lines from the Birthday Party.
Yes! I absolutely love Your Funeral, My Trial. It's fairly underrated, safe to say, but once you've heard it you're hooked. "Here I am, little lamb..." But The Birthday Party CAN out-wreck anyone. :P

strawberry daiquiri, thank you!!:flower: I was totally blank at first, like 'I wrote in a Nick Drake thread, thats odd I have NO memory of that.':lol: I don't even really like Nick Drake that much so I was scrolling through like, huh I wonder what I said, LOL.

I could've sworn there was something about Nick Cave here but I couldn't find anything in search or Google either.

Jennifer~ I also love the cover, with him as a seedy lounge singer. That song has some really amazing lyrics, "all the stars winked at me" and "a bauble moon did mock, and trinket stars did smile" and "here I am little lamb" have always stuck with me.

nick cave was recently inducted into the aria hall of fame. he also inducted his band mates from the birthday party and the bad seeds into the hall of fame. classic. :lol:
tigerrouge said:
Then he started playing the intro to 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' and you started wondering, how is he going to do it without Kylie Minogue... then unannounced, out she stepped onto the stage. Two stars for the price of one, that night. Fantastic.
ooh nice! i love that song... :heart: i got to hear it live but it was performed by other musicians; Tom Smith from Editors and Juanita Stein from Howling Bells. :heart: probably not as good as nick and kylie but still good! :P

I've been listening to The Boatman's Call non-stop recently. He's one of my all-time favourite lyricists, incredible :heart:

3101718599_0507f16395_b.jpg

Nick Cave circa 1986

He's such a stylin' dreamboat

oh yay! I'm glad theres a Nick Cave thread. I definitely like Birthday Party over Bad Seeds, but I dig em both a LOT

Deep in the Woods, Into My Arms, Black Hair, Do You Love Me?, The Weeping Song, Avalanche, Loverman, Where The Wild Roses Grow, From Her to Eternity, Your Funeral, My Trial, Stranger Than Kindness, Love Letter, To Be By Your Side, The Singer, Slowly Goes The Night, and The Carny are my favorite Nick Cave songs. I'm sure that I forgot a few. Overall he's awesome and talented lyricist/poet. I tried to convert a former friend into a Nick Cave fan needless to say it didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->