NME's Top 100 Greatest Albums Of The Decade

Discussion in 'the Art of Noise' started by Scott, Dec 10, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

http://www.nme.com/list/the-top-100-greatest-albums-of-the-decade/158049/page/1

thought this was a bit interesting. i am rather miffed they didn't include any goldfrapp records on this list. especially how extraordinary their debut was and also in light of how much they've been ripped off. felt mountain,surely deserves to be top 10,imo. as well,björk was ranked a lowly 95 for vespertine and not a single mention of medúlla. i also think pj harvey and radiohead should have been much higher....radiohead particularly at Nº1 with Kid A and PJ at Nº2 with stories...by far the most prolific recordings this decade. and why wasn't roisin on this as well....portishead's third....beth gibbons and rustin man????!!!

2. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

This list is much better than the so-called list they published for the tracks of the decade, even the Rolling Stone readers choose a better song:hardhead:

3. Filipe

Filipe New Member

I don't know why Amy Winehouse is on the 27th spot and Green Day on the 60th spot when they made one of the best albums of this decade.

4. xerq

xerq !

the Strokes for the win! :clap:
    think Room on Fire is the better album though and Radiohead should've been number 1. i love the strokes but Thom's songwriting abilities are far superior.
    arctic monkeys shouldn't be that high and MGMT on the list completely made NME's list look invalid.

5. Filipe

Filipe New Member

^Just by the fact that American Idiot by Green Day is on the 60th spot, made it completely invalid for me. Although, I seriously don't care for the music made during this decade, it was nothing of special at all. It was obviously worst than the 90's.

6. xerq

xerq !

i think after 2004 music(especially mainstream music) just became bad. we had the emo explosion, the rap dance thing,autotune and now crappy hipster bands. i fear for the next decade. we need a rock revival akin to the early 00s one.

90s will always be the best.:heart:

7. papa_levante

papa_levante oh! darling

I don't like all these lists. The 00's are technically not even over, so who's to say the best album won't be out next year? :huh:

I do like seeing so many bands on there that aren't exactly mainstream. Just goes to show that our best music isn't all made by mainstream nobodies.

#7 papa_levante, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Big Mouth: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

^ the decade closed this year, next year will belong to the 10's decade :flower:
    I was really dissapointed by American Idiot's position too, I'm a Green Day fan but that album rocked without being biased just a little, it was the last good rock album that had a huge mainstream airing-Kings Of Leon's Only By The Night is not even close to the cultural impact of American Idiot-I think that these lists depend truly on the on creator's point of view, if it was me doing this list few albums werent there and the positions wouldnot be the same, the same if someone elses does the list, I think that the albums record was good, not perfect obviously but...
    ...At least they didnt put a Beyoncé album at number one :rolleyes:

#8 Karen0193, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by moderator springflower1: Dec 10, 2009
  9. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

The first three spots!. :lol:
    I guess NME is the publication preteens buy before moving on to Nylon these days.

10. ckgirlbr

ckgirlbr goodbye kiss

I totally agree with you. I turn on the TV or the radio and really feel sad. I don't care for mainstream bands/artists, but it's still very depressing. Not that I care for Grammy, but look at 2010's nominees... :doh: I don't have high hopes for the next decade, but some albums I'm really looking forward to are supposed to come out next year, that sort of relieves me.

I'm kind of young so I can't really say I witnessed early 00s music scene, I just remember of some bands such as Green Day, Blink 182, The Calling :)lol:), Foo Fighters, they're not necessarily my favorite bands, but things that time were much better than they are today, in my opinion. For me it's getting worse and worse.

NME are biased when it comes to those lists... So I don't think we should take it very seriously. As much as I love Arctic Monkeys and Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not album, I don't believe it's that amazing, not to the point to be considered the 4th album of the decade.

But it'll always have a certain controversy on those lists, no matter who has written them, it'll always have someone who doesn't agree with them, they're always a product of someone or a group of people's opinion after all. ^_^

That's true. :lol: I got so damn surprised (in a bad way) to read it was chosen the track of the decade. :rolleyes: The greatest tracks of the decade list is not very reliable, just check the two first spots... :innocent:

11. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

^ I love The Calling :lol:! I think that the only good category is rock and those bands are not new. AC/DC and U2 couldnt be older, Eric Clapton, super old; Green Day, that was formed in the late 80's and Dave Matthew Band that is not new either, we are in need of new talent :judge:
    I do like Lady GaGa but Poker Face is not her best song, Just Dance could be a better nomination and seriously Taylor Swift has like 8 nominations, her songs are catchy but catchy means good?

12. ckgirlbr

ckgirlbr goodbye kiss

I know they're not that new, new for me is I don't know, MGMT?, but those were the ones I remember that made a lot of sucess. ;) I forgot to add Linkin Park to my list. I mean, at least some good bands made some sucess that time.

We really need a new talent, especially because the old ones who are still alive will die soon and we don't have many equally good ones to replace them. -_-

I guess the 00s may be remembered as one of the worst decades for music. :ninja:

About The Calling, I remember I used to have a crush on the singer, Alex :lol:

#12 ckgirlbr, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Dec 11, 2009
  13. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

I dont know, the start of the decade was really good, the end of the decade was a complete rubbish. Everything got worse when all this Disney crap and Emo tendencies of bands:judge:
    MGMT is new, but seriously they are good! I was surprised when I read that they were 100 but I think that they deserved it, but Time To Pretend to be the 2 song of our decade,that song surely is amazing but number 2 I dont thing so, and songs like Time For Heroes or Plug In Baby are below 50, thats messed up.
    Linkin Park are the only nu metal band that is worthy of any acknolegement, imo!

Alex's voice :wub:

14. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

NME is like the Bop of Indie rock anyway.

15. Scott

^haha! and it's so weird,just as mullet was saying about nylon,because it was at one point a highly reputable music publication. it's so self-serving and unreliable these days. to exclude and rank lowly so many compelling works for hipster music isn't really that conducive to garnering respect for such a list.

i would actually love to hear other people's ideas on what they feel are the greatest....top 20? top 50? perhaps in a separate thread? i dunno if i could compile 100 myself because quite honestly there has not been 100.

16. xerq

xerq !

more like top 20. there hasn't been that many good albums to be honest.

17. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

The funny thing about this list is that it's so regional... like it felt the NEED to include all these English indie rock bands that had their short period of hype in the last decade... I mean, Hard-Fi, best of the decade, really?!?? Above Vespertine??? No.

18. Scott

^exactly! i mean it just so appalling.

19. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

So we all thought this was bad.. but wait till you see this. :rofl:

20. Scott

well,one can expect that from billboard :sick: