Not To Be Obvious, Models Are Back

there have only been a handful of girls in the history of magazines who qualify for that honour...don't fool yourself...girls come and go...most of them are interchangeable and replaceable...with very very few exceptions... and they are ALWAYS directed by the photographer /editor /art director...

Yes, of course the model is directed by the photographer/ed/ad. Of course models come and go because most of them are mediocre. But I still belive that the model is as important for the image as the photographer. Important to me doesn't mean how much work the model puts into the image. It means that however much work most photographers put in they will seldom produce great fashion photos with bad models. :wink:

To me, there are a handfull of photographers who always put out great work - Guy Bourdin, Frank Horvat, Sieff, Feurer and Helmut Newton quite obviously. Today there are a few that seem to do their thing irrespective of the model - Nathaniel Goldberg seems like one of those to me but I can't think of anyone else. Your average fashion photographer can't do miracles with a boring girl - your average fashion photographer is a vampire who feeds on model blood to get his pictures. An excellent fashion photographer enhances what is already there and knows to appreciate the model (Like Arthur Elgort, Francesco Scavullo, Patrick Demarchelier and Albert Watson).

Originally posted by iluvjeisa@Sep 11 2004, 01:31 AM
(Like Arthur Elgort, Francesco Scavullo, Patrick Demarchelier and Albert Watson).
[snapback]363128[/snapback]​
i can't tell if you're saying these guys are good or vampires?...

what about avedon, penn, meisel, mondino...?

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Sep 11 2004, 01:14 AM
The models' facial expressions, I liked your description. :flower:
[snapback]363115[/snapback]​

whew... :flower:

I meant they were excellent - vampires or not :smile: They're certainly not average, not even average for being a photographer for a high fashion magazine. They do rely heavily on the model's beauty and expression for their shots and they're seldom experimental or overly artistic. I love them, though, but if they didn't have an eye for great models I doubt they would be shooting fantastic eds.

Meisel, Avedon and Penn are much more formal - they keep the sex out of their images unless they want to make a statement.

sugarpea said:
clealry the author did not look at the cover thoroughly...they do not all look the same...althgouh i agree that it lacked considerably diversity, racially

Sorry, but don't ask me to point out a diffrence, save Gemma and Liya:unsure:

As for racially... they could have injected some Hye, Ai, Yasmin, and Liliana, that's for sure :innocent:

As for models being back... look at Cindy, Claudia, Linda, Naomi, Christy, and hate to say it, even old Janice Dickinson pics. They were all beauties, but you could tell each one apart. They each had an edge (Claudia the bombshell:kiss:, Cindy All-America, Janice BadGirl:argg:, Christy elegence, Naomi firecracker, Linda CoolGirlB)) so there was one for everyone to like. We really need ALL kinds of diversity, from the :alien: Alien girls to the waifs to the glamazons, but each adding a spin to thier 'genre'. And we ain't gettin' it, so we turn to celebs.

And might I add that diversity CAN sell. For every Beyonce selling a Vouge cover there is a Hana who isn't.

KhaoticKharma said:
Sorry, but don't ask me to point out a diffrence, save Gemma and Liya:unsure:

As for racially... they could have injected some Hye, Ai, Yasmin, and Liliana, that's for sure :innocent:

As for models being back... look at Cindy, Claudia, Linda, Naomi, Christy, and hate to say it, even old Janice Dickinson pics. They were all beauties, but you could tell each one apart. They each had an edge (Claudia the bombshell:kiss:, Cindy All-America, Janice BadGirl:argg:, Christy elegence, Naomi firecracker, Linda CoolGirlB)) so there was one for everyone to like. We really need ALL kinds of diversity, from the :alien: Alien girls to the waifs to the glamazons, but each adding a spin to thier 'genre'. And we ain't gettin' it, so we turn to celebs.

And might I add that diversity CAN sell. For every Beyonce selling a Vouge cover there is a Hana who isn't.

I agree 100%. Even in America you'll see a few non-white models on magazine covers. But that's rare.

gisele once said tt actresses are taking away models' jobs,and it's not fair...

:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->