Olivier Theyskens F/W 2018.19 Paris

i don't know why, but i feel sad for him. like he didn't made the right decisions in his career.
but i hope he is happy to be independent.

Kinda low budget but I still like it.

Good enough, nothing groundbreaking. I hope he's going to push himself more.

This is kinda mediocre. We can try to make it as if it's good or close to good because we like him but in reality, it's mediocre.
It's not worthy of a fashion show, really not!

I feel really bad because despite his talent, i don't think that we will see him at any big house where he can totally let his creativity speak anytime soon...

This feels very Gucci by Tom Ford to me. I kind of like it although I'm not sure at the cut of some pieces (a thing that he was always quite good at).

So gloomy and mediocre. I felt depressed by looking at the collection. I used to like it a lot, i dont know what happened but i feel like it is a bit over for him.

i don't know why, but i feel sad for him. like he didn't made the right decisions in his career.
but i hope he is happy to be independent.
Well... if you're going to feel sad for Olivier, who's experienced a typical sequence of events that high fashion brings upon young, rising talents (way before it was a thing), then perhaps the more accurate emotion is total devastation for the entire industry, look at where it's now.. and look at what Olivier is doing while other younger (or contemporaries like Demna) are still insisting on beating a dead horse, he's gone back to where he started, reopened his own label and is working on his own rhythm, not even falling for church-you-never-guessed/1898 laboratory location gimmicks of other independent acts or 'thoughtful' trends, this is as clean and honest as he's done in a long time and unrelated to anything (trend, other shows or themes) other than his own work, it's a step forward and an example of strength in his field... in the [independent] outlet everyone, sooner or later, will realise it's financially, psychologically and creatively the sanest there is. I'm actually more sad that this type of design approach and presentation is seen as negative when everything every currently revered designer is "inspired" by these days is actually taken from those days when shows looked like this and designers worked like this too.

I think it's a gorgeous and sexy collection that will look wonderful on women.. even the unattractive bits (like these denim pieces) have some hope.

Well... if you're going to feel sad for Olivier, who's experienced a typical sequence of events that high fashion brings upon young, rising talents (way before it was a thing), then perhaps the more accurate emotion is total devastation for the entire industry, look at where it's now.. and look at what Olivier is doing while other younger (or contemporaries like Demna) are still insisting on beating a dead horse, he's gone back to where he started, reopened his own label and is working on his own rhythm, not even falling for church-you-never-guessed/1898 laboratory location gimmicks of other independent acts or 'thoughtful' trends, this is as clean and honest as he's done in a long time and unrelated to anything (trend, other shows or themes) other than his own work, it's a step forward and an example of strength in his field... in the [independent] outlet everyone, sooner or later, will realise it's financially, psychologically and creatively the sanest there is. I'm actually more sad that this type of design approach and presentation is seen as negative when everything every currently revered designer is "inspired" by these days is actually taken from those days when shows looked like this and designers worked like this too.

I think it's a gorgeous and sexy collection that will look wonderful on women.. even the unattractive bits (like these denim pieces) have some hope.
When you put it like that, it does make me appreciate what he's going for and just him in general.

I was trying to summerize my thoughts on this and I dont think I could have said it better myself haha!

I think doing this independently means he has to make sure the balance sheet has to be healthy, hence a slew of sellable, decent and pretty looks. He has no pressure from suits since he is the suits now and I don’t think he will allow himself to do a Gucci-esque collection since that’s not in his DNA, yet at the same time he doesn’t have the luxury of doing impractical, incredibly expensive gowns that look artistic and beautiful yet won’t sell like what he did at Rochas/ Nina Ricci.

So this is reality biting, but a good one at that.

I think he still has it, he just need to start making enough money to start funding his dreamy collections, those being necessary or not to present to us, is another discussion altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Olivier! Even the cast is blah! This brand can't survive on basics alone, it needs to be bolder to stand out. All the sellers are there, it's just the presentation and styling that needs work. He's showing clothes, and not fashion. He can do both, and he should do both. There's no excuse for such mediocrity from a brilliant designer. He could easily take out Jacquemus and Loewe if he wanted to. No other designer of the moment is even close to his level. Come on Olivier! We're all rooting for you!

^My thoughts exactly....

No doubt, he's still one of the most gifted designers we have. There are a lot of great (and a few not so great) ideas he still delivers. But why destroy it all with such an amateurish show? Such a waste of talent. He should be a leader. Not just doing pretty clothes.

If he really wants to succeed with his own label in the long run - he must hire a better stylist and a much better casting to evoke a different impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->