Opening & Operating a Retail Store / Boutique (Brick & Mortar or On-Line)

dulcedeleche

Reaction score
I am seriously considering opening a boutique. Does anyone own/know anyone that owns a boutique? I would just like to hear some general discussion of what it involves. And any ideas, of course.

You could ask purechris :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
getting designers in your store?

i am planning on opening my own store after working hard for an independant for some time. i would like to know how to approach brands and designers about stocking there collections an also ho do designers feel about putting ther items in new stores?

so far my experience in dealing with agents and designers is limited,i cant ask my boss as he is a friend and i think we may fall out when he hears my plans.

does anyone own there own store or buy for one?
please advise

i would like to stock raf by raf simons but am unsure if this would be possible thanks.

contact the showrooms, and try the tradefairs :wink:

i know about the showrooms as for trade fairs ive been to quite a few and never come across any really big designers but i mean will they even think about giving you an account if you are a new store? thanks anyway lena

a brand gets another brand so if you could get that one brand willing to work with you, it becomes easier to acquire additional brands.

usually, they are more willing to let a store carry their accessories line first so you may wanna take that route.

they usually take into account how many stores are around your store carrying their items as well as type of customer base you have and if that fits with your store image.

it's just about being professional as well as constant calling and talking to them so they feel comfortable with you.

i should find out in much more detail in couple of weeks since that is what i will be doing. :lol: :lol: :lol: if i get any more insight, i will let you know.

good luck

if the designer u r interested in does not sell in your area you can always buy, much more if you pay in front.. its very simple to contact the importing company/showroom, its a piece of cake really, you wont have a problem as long as you pay them well, being a start up will cost you a bit, but its normal..
try to rep mainly new rising designers, they are more 'hip' and more accesible than 'big names', then u can add two or three 'big players' to add 'glam'

it all depends on the location and your bank account.. :lucky:

i was only thinking about a couple of the big players as you say and then focusing on smaller up and coming independants. as for my area nobody sells any of the brands or labels i want.
i was also thinking about having one corner of the store available for fashion students to show there own pieces and change them over every month or so any veiws on this?
also i dont want the shop to be in your face as they say more for people who know about fashion rather than focusing on large branding.

another question how do brands and designers feel about you selling there stuff online,is there any restrictions?
thanks in advance.

i think it is always a great idea to promote students as well as up and coming designers. however, the catch is, you first need to some amount of credibility or faithful clients to trust you to believe in those new designers.

also, designer label business is a bit tough since the life span of the products is short. therefore, an online store is a bit helpful to move your inventory.

i dont know exactly where and what you are thinking of for your store but it is a good thing to remember that tees, tanks, and jeans are your main bread and butter for most smaller retail stores.

I do. I know you have to get a loan from the bank and other goverment certficates but what else? How do you buy from the merchants? Where do you get the information from

usually better lines ask for a press kit of your store...w/information like the size, the 'look' of your store, other lines you carry, volume of sales, as well as whether they have their own store or other stores near your vicinity selling their products.

it's a very difficult task to get really good stuff off the bat. you would most likely to focus on the smaller names that is about to hit it big. they are more willing to work with. also most places will be more willing to let a new vendor carry their accessories and shoes line but are more difficult to get the clothing.

best way i think is to start with whatever line you can get and go to the shows and get to know the sales staff esp since most of them move around the different company so if they love you, they will give you the products.

therefore, it may be easier to buy a store already up and running or work for a boutique for a bit until you get to meet the sales rep and such. i wouldnt suggest opening up a store from scratch when you dont know anyone in the industry (but that's my two cents)

good luck!!

excellent reply annabel lee, welcome to tFS :flower:

annabel_lee said:
usually better lines ask for a press kit of your store...w/information like the size, the 'look' of your store, other lines you carry, volume of sales, as well as whether they have their own store or other stores near your vicinity selling their products.

it's a very difficult task to get really good stuff off the bat. you would most likely to focus on the smaller names that is about to hit it big. they are more willing to work with. also most places will be more willing to let a new vendor carry their accessories and shoes line but are more difficult to get the clothing.

best way i think is to start with whatever line you can get and go to the shows and get to know the sales staff esp since most of them move around the different company so if they love you, they will give you the products.

therefore, it may be easier to buy a store already up and running or work for a boutique for a bit until you get to meet the sales rep and such. i wouldnt suggest opening up a store from scratch when you dont know anyone in the industry (but that's my two cents)

good luck!!

Thank you that was awesome advice! I have awhile to go. I am in the middle of getting my BA in liberal arts and then I plan to go to fashion school.

Feel free to ask me anytime, I am working as a buyer myself in a family-run business... Since I guess that you are not intending to open a huge business from the start, it would be best if you already did some research which lines or designers could work well for you and the market that you want to address. You may want to have a look at any of the bigger tradeshows in your area, just to see what´s on the market, especially when you are new, it will be difficult dealing with big corporate brand names like Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Dior or Gucci, as it is likely that you will have to order A LOT from them... it´s a huge risk unless you already have the customers that are likely to buy merchandise from you, so working with smaller brands and designers will give you a much-needed flexibility in the first few years where you have to find your customer base.

annabel_lee said:
what kind of merchandise, brands, etc do you guys carry???

We currently focus on selling Y´s Yohji Yamamoto, Rochas, Bruno Pieters, Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Stephan Schneider and Anne Valérie Hash for women and Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Stephan Schneider, Kris Van Assche and Raf by Raf Simons for men... it´s then rounded up with brands like Acne Jeans, Nudie Jeans, A.P.C., Schiesser (German company with extremely high quality jerseys) and assorted footwear/accessories to allow a less strictly runway-based styling with the designers... arguably, they also allow ourselves a faster cashflow, since the prices are remarkably lower than, say, a top from Rochas or Dior.

I was just thinking about this. I am pretty new to this board and like what I see. I am possibly moving from CA to Va and thinking about opening one up too. I heard you have to know who to buy from (as far as wholesalers etc) is that true? The start up $$$$ is no prob..it's just the whole idea of who to talk to and what the steps are.. any ideas?

I opened my boutique about a year and a half ago...it has been going pretty good I am glad I made it through the 1st year..that is the hardest...I could help anyone interested in finding wholesalers...and what is really involved. I am in New Jersey but travel to NYC alot for the showrooms and trade shows. You have to really be involved with the designers, I am constantly looking for new products...The hardest part is having new stock always available for the customers. My website will show some of the stuff I sell. I started small out of my home just to get people to know my name and what I sell..to build a cusotmer mailing list... Once you go to a few trade shows you will know what to buy, the minimums, and the terms such as immediates,cancel dates, delivery. The other thing to think about is your general business info, if you go online set up your business name to get a tax id number, this is something some designers ask for too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acctforstylethings
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"