Opinion Needed On Burberry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by nikki80, Nov 10, 2004.

1. nikki80

nikki80 New Member

Hi there,

I'm doing consumer research on Burberry for my class so would really appreciate if anyone can share their view toward the brand and the products. Could be anything..like or dislike...

Thanks a bunch!!! :flower:

2. AlexN

AlexN New Member

I don't like the Burberry plaid. Most people just see it as a status symbol, even though it's counterfeited constantly and most people don't have the real thing. Burberry's real clothes are pretty good, though. Burberry Prorsum is great.

3. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i'll think about this and respond when i have more time... :flower:

my favourite burberry item is...however...a stick umbrella...
    i got one as a gift years ago and it is one of my prized posessions...the opening mechanism broke last year and i had it replaced at burberry because they don't make this style umbrella anymore...that's how much i love it... :blush: :P

4. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

I agree! For me, a general 'no' to the plaid, but I like the clothes a lot. :huh: :heart:

5. BlueJeanBaby

BlueJeanBaby New Member

I don't like the plaid either....too many years at a catholic school as a kid left me with a distaste for anything plaid. The clothes aren't bad though =)

6. Alura

Alura New Member

The tartan pattern has gone from cool to too much mass appeal. I saw a girl on the airport wearing hat, matching bag, shirt and scrave! :sick: Very tasteless. It all started in London a few years ago, one could spot the return of the wool scarve, and since then Burberry has grown stronger and stronger!

Burbery prorsum is beautiful though, both for men and women, and I praise Burberry for this marketing bomb!

7. Acid

Acid yes

Burberry is SO unappealing in britain for this reason.....

CHAV CULTURE!!!!

this website will explain all

make sure you check out 'chav of the month gallery'

http://www.chavscum.co.uk

8. Luna

Luna offline.

I have a burberry tote... but I pretty much despise everything else that has the plaid on it. too preppy....

9. tiffany

tiffany Active Member

:lol: :lol: :flower:

10. Alura

Alura New Member

Love that Chav Site! It's true, Burberry is really uncool in Europe at this moment if you want to make an impression. It's hot for the masses but passé for the fashion crowd. Same with Louis Vuitton monogram bags, the 'Eye Love you' LV print, UGGS and Von Dutch caps.

I saw this hilarious pic of a UK 'celebrity' in Hello (thougt it was that big boob Kerri girl), with a Burberry stroller, outfit and rainhat and her baby was all dressed up in Burberry as well!!! Ouch! :ninja:

11. AlexN

AlexN New Member

Ouch, indeed! :shock:

12. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

:lol:

13. Acid

Acid yes

yes! that was daniella westbrook and ive been searching aimlessly for that photo to post on here! :blink: its soooo bad

14. Alura

Alura New Member

I was seriously laughing out loud, it made my boring lunch break haha.

15. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

I like the plaid print. It can be quite nice when it's not overdone. I really like the classic trench coats lined in the print.

16. MJCouture

MJCouture Active Member

Like any other "logo," it should only be used in moderation. I do not think it is fashionable, but it is basic and casual. The regular line actually does some nice things (non-plaid) for men that you would never guess were Burberry (I have a gorgeous sheerling jacket from them), and prosum does as well.

17. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i completely agree...and there are some things that are just reliably nice from burberry. if you need a durable basic trench, you go burberry. as far as fashion, there's something unlikely and even quirky about burberry. it's a surprise brand ("oh, i would have never thought that was burberry") and often times very appropriate for a dress down brand (i've worn a burberry swim suit at a casual pool party once...it's a good way not to be noticed)

18. JohnnyBoo

JohnnyBoo New Member

I love Burberry myself. I think Christopher Bailey is amazing, and I think he's one of the very few designers who can deliver a strong collection for both men & women with each season. Has anybody seen his menswear line for Spring '05? My favorite menswear collection of the season!!!

But, although I DO like that ubiquitous plaid (I LOVE plaid!), I just dont like it plastered on everything the house can conceive, from pants to pens to dinnerwear and teddy-bears even. I think this whole logo-mania has got to stop!

19. Chanel_Aficionada

Chanel_Aficionada New Member

Burberry clothes are fine -- I myself own many of the polos.

But the scarves, umbrellas, and especially the handbags and totes are *not* in any way cool, chic, etc. Most people who own these items probably have never even considered actually buying Burberry clothing because they just want the status of one plaid scarf or bag or whatever. Urgh.

I do have a Burberry tennis bag, but it's not even in the plaid.

20. jd255

jd255 New Member

The plaid is not my favorite...I feel like it's so overplayed. As far as their everyday clothing, I like it.