Opinions on wood effect heel boots?

balacau

Reaction score
Maybe a couple of years back now, these style of boots were everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&?ViewItem&item=3948546242

I've recently been observing something of a minor "comeback" of this style, although they are usually very thin in the way of a platform and the heel is not so high as in the example above, but I find them nice never-the-less.

What do you people think?

Also, what is this "wood" made of? Cant be real wood surely so what is it?

Thanks for any feedback.

My God, I had a pair of those in 1973!! They're referred to as "stacked" heels, and it's actually leather - looks like the stack of leather used in multiple shoe soles, and in a way, it is: leather is stacked, crosscut very thin, and applied to a wood or plastic core.
They crop up now and then; I have a pair of sandals with that kind of heel, but lesser platform.

All traditional men's footwear, shoes and boots, comes replete with stacked heels. If women started wearing men's shoes a la Marlene Dietrich, now that would be hot.

I hate wooden heels, but the shape of those on ebay are actually quite nice and the sky high heel doesn't hurt. :D

I have a old red faded version of those... (not the exact same, a little lower in the heel.) I kind of like the wooden heels. two things though,
one, the heels are still too high for me and secondly, its so easy to slip in them... :cry:

I saw another pair of wood-effect heels while I was out and about in Newcastle yesterday, these were a kind of dark red colour, quite nice. Dont know f they were any higher than ankle length but thats getting away from the subject :P

I suppose these boots might not hurt that much if you are used to walking on heels of 4 inches or more since the platform raises the front of the foot up an inch or so.............

Hmmm I think I'll stick around and see how much they go for! :woot:

I like stacked heels primarily because you don't have to worry so much about ruining the heel as you would with a satin or leather clad heel.:flower:

aaargh!

As a shoe designer I feel the need to correct you - the correct terminology is a stacked heel.

So called because they are made from layers and layers of soling leather sheets laminated (glued) together - thats how you get the striped effect. On traditionally made mens shoes, (read expensive), they still make the heels from real stacked leather.

On most shoes today - (i.e. cheaper) - or on thinner stiletto heels (because of issues with strength), a stack veneer is used - a very thin piece, which is then glued around the moulded heel. On really cheap stacked heels, the effect is photoprinted onto a sheet of plastic. (ick!)

No wood involved at all.

I love stacked heels and they look great in summer- they suit the hippy look that will be around summer 2005. :heart:

(read expensive),
Plenty of expensive men's shoes don't have them because, I would warn anyone considering them, they're an absolute pain up the bum half the time. They can rot if you let them get soaked and they wear down pretty fast.

I was thinking more of John Lobb, etc, I don't think the likes of Dolce, or Gucci bother.

The thing with shoes is most people don't look after them properly. Back in the day, people would get them repaired, resoled etc, now we just bin them and buy more.

Im not a fan of those heels with the stacked heel look... I dunno, they look cheap on heels...on mens shoes I think it looks nice though...

ooh, I almost forgot!! I have these listed on ebay right now. They're so gorgeous, I wish they fit me :cry:

TheSoCalledPrep said:
ooh, I almost forgot!! I have these listed on ebay right now. They're so gorgeous, I wish they fit me :cry:
Strange and wonderful! I think you and I have similar tastes!:flower:

PrinceOfCats said:
All traditional men's footwear, shoes and boots, comes replete with stacked heels. If women started wearing men's shoes a la Marlene Dietrich, now that would be hot.
I wear men's shoes. But I don't know that it is hot.

boots.jpg

These boots have a stacked heel (three layers of leather) with a rubber heel cap underneath. The soles are "stacked" too--two layers of sole leather, then a fairly thick rubber sole.

While these boots were expensive for me ($90) they are not expensive in the scale of shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely hot. There's something deeply unattractive about women teetering about on high-heels...

SoCalledPrep-I love those shoes. very 60's. Exactly my style. I don't really like the black ones posted first-they have a bit of a "harder" edge, but i lilke brown leather.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceOfCats said:
Definitely hot. There's something deeply unattractive about women teetering about on high-heels...
Aw, thanks! I've got a Granny Weatherwax take on shoes. I feel they should be comfortable, sturdy, and damn near invincible, and good for breaking somebody's kneecap if I ever got mugged! I've had those boots since 1998 and they're still going strong :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->