The Most Overrated Designers...

i kinda promised myself i wouldnt post in this thread, as being a designer (albeit not as famous or successful as many mention here) i guess at some point my work will be critiqued as much as thiers .

howevwer, my question is to all the people posting.
By what criteria does one determine if a designer is overrated or underrated
so as to come to the conclusions in your posts?

Karl. He is more worried about his weight than the pieces he sends down the runway. What a diva.

michael kors
donatella, although the most recent collection was an improvement
giles mendel
bagdley and miscka (why are they even considered high fashion?)
marc jacobs (i love marc but he isn't god like some ppl make him out to be)
karl lagerfeld (once again, i love chanel and fendi but ppl saying he's the best designer out there is ridiculous)

zamb said:
i kinda promised myself i wouldnt post in this thread, as being a designer (albeit not as famous or successful as many mention here) i guess at some point my work will be critiqued as much as thiers .

my criteria of overrated is :
when a certain designer is too much exposed or praised in media as a great designer, bla bla bla... when their design is just not that good...

zamb said:

For me it's about the overall feeling of a collection (i.e. sleazy, elegant, mod, etc. etc. that kind of thing), the quality and prices of the clothing, and the amount of hype a designer might have surrounding them/their work.

to explain my list-
Michael Kors: everything he does is so run-of-the-mill. I never see anything special, eye-catching, original or thoughtful in his work... ever.

Tom Ford: sleazy and repetitive trend-bot... and did I say SLEAZY?

Karl Lagerfeld: what Afreekan said in post #45.

Donatella Versace: does she really deserve an explanation as to why she's overrated? :sick:

for me,it's merely a question of hype,zamb.

seahorseinstripe said:
phoebe philo
luella bartley
devi kroelle
michael kors
ralph lauren

EEk! I agree with your other choices, but I think Phoebe Philo is a fantastic designer. Please defend your argument about her. Why is she overrated?

I don't see Marc Jacobs as being that overrated, but I certainly think that he is waaay overpriced, especially at Louis Vuitton.

Im happy I'm not the only one who thinks Kors and Jacobs are over rated... they both suck.
Prada is over rated.
Armani is over rated.
McQueen is FAR too over rated. Everyones in love with him.
Demeulemeester is over rated too.

Karl Lagerfeld: what Afreekan said in post #45.

well.......
he may be a diva, i kinda wanna agree with you on that.
however i dont think that a designer like him can really be considered overrated
we have to remember that he is the last remaining of the great couturiers, by this i mean one who worked in couture when it was a real business and not a promotional tool. (Oscar D. in NYC could make a case as being another but he no longer does a couture collection)
also how many 70+ yr old designers we have today that is as prolific and relevant as he has, the guy designs (or oversees) about 12 collections for three different fashion houses
YSL his main rival has retired a long time now with his house changing two designers)
Chanel couture is said to be probaly the only couture house that makes a profit (maybe this is a lie but i dont know )
yes, he does some crap sometimes, and says a lot of garbage but in the end for what he has accomplished and continues to do at his age , i think he deserves every credit that has been given to him

To be honest,I don't get how anybody can say McQueen is overrated. That man has gone from being a complete nobody--between being in the back of some of the most prestigious Savile Row tailors,honing his skills and assisting Koji Tatsuno--to slowly garnering the success he has now. He is rightfully deserving of everything he's got,imo.

Karl Lagerfeld...the only thing that's truly overrated about him is his overactive mouthpiece.

yeny said:
EEk! I agree with your other choices, but I think Phoebe Philo is a fantastic designer. Please defend your argument about her. Why is she overrated?

don't get me wrong... i actually liked her collections, but then, i think she had enough praises when she first join chloe, because after a few seasons, i kinda think she's being repetitive. but she kept on getting praises and all which is just too much for me.
like she's only have one style, or maybe she's too afraid to move on to another designs :P

I do acknowledge his status in the game. But IMHO, he doesn't focus on designing anymore. I guess he he has earned that right.

Let's just please everyone and say that every single designer ever to grace the face of the earth is overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->