Padma Lakshmi Fine Jewelry : Padma Lakshmi by Steven Meisel

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
source | wwd.com

WHERE FOOD AND FASHION COLLIDE: The realization of Padma Lakshmi’s first fine jewelry advertising campaign proves that no matter how high brow, anyone can relish in a good reality TV show. Lakshmi, a model, cookbook author, fine jewelry designer and host of Bravo’s “Top Chef,” has a fan in fashion photographer Steven Meisel — and it led him to team up with her to shoot a catalogue of photographs that will be used for advertising and other promotional matters. “I have always admired [Meisel’s] work from way back in the Nineties with his work for Dolce & Gabbana and Vogue,” said Lakshmi, who had never met Meisel prior to their work together last spring. The photos show a glistening, nude Lakshmi draped in her delicate gold and gemstone spices, which take inspiration from foods such as lentils and cardamom pods. The ads will bow in Hearst’s September supplement “30 Days of Fashion.” The images also will be featured on padmalakshmi.com. (Given the hubbub her steamy television ad for Hardee’s Western Bacon Thickburger caused on the Internet, the latest campaign is sure to attract lots of hits.) The jewelry line, which launched last spring, has been performing well at retail, with several reorders from Bergdorf Goodman and new distribution in Richards in Greenwich, Conn.; Mitchells in Westport, Conn., and Aria, the new resort in Las Vegas, as well as the Web sites of Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus. Lakshmi recently opened a showroom and test kitchen in lower Manhattan.

Suprised that Meisel shot this.

I can't see the image :doh: Could someone please upload it to another hosting site or use tFS attachment tool? :flower:

and you think the other big names paid him less than what he'd demand?
Of course not, that's not what i meant.It was reported that he declined to do many major campaigns this season (Dior even!) because they didnt want to meet his paycheck demand.For many brands who were hit by recession his fee was simply to much this time around, and he didnt want to lower it, so they parted.Of course Meisel still got tons of work, it was just surprising to see he took on this one,imho.

^The article says he's a fan of Padma's... so maybe that helped :heart: :lol:

She looks beautiful as always :heart: The jewelry seems stunning as well, though we're seeing less of that and more of Padma :lol:

It was reported that he declined to do many major campaigns this season (Dior even!) because they didnt want to meet his paycheck demand.For many brands who were hit by recession his fee was simply to much this time around, and he didnt want to lower it, so they parted.

Wow, this makes me a little disappointed, because i thought making art is more important than money for such a talented artist :(

oh and i like the ad :lol:

Wow,that's unexpected!I never would've thought he shot this.

Wow, this makes me a little disappointed, because i thought making art is more important than money for such a talented artist :(

oh and i like the ad :lol:

shooting an advertising campaign to help a fashion label to boost its multi-million dollars sales of overpriced goods is not quite what one would call an art form. so i don't see anything wrong about Meisel demanding for a certain level of fees. he's at the top of his game and his name, to some extent, is a brand as exclusive and powerful as, say, Dior. so he may be picky.
as for the campaign, i totally share Miss Dalloway's sentiments. with the questionable typography and overdone photoshopping this image reminds me of instant coffee ad rather than haute joaillerie advert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->