Parsons School of Fashion, New York

boheme

Reaction score
1) Do you need a one year art foundation to go to Parsons?

2) Dont take this the wrong way but these kids in my class were talking about Parsons and one person was like "did you know that 80% of the students there are asians?" i just wanted to know if thats true

2nd one seems like a total exaggeration ... there are asians there, but not 80%, or at least when I went to visit I didn't have that impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my bachelor of arts/fine arts with Parson's and Eugene Lang...
no more asians than whites, blacks, pinks or greens.

If you are transfering, they want to make sure you are profficient in the basics. You should have credits equivalent to their foundations progra, basically life drawing, color theory and all that jazz. Just to let you know, they're more critical of transfer students. it's pretty hard to transfer in, while going through their foundations into the bfa fashion program its pretty easy.

As for asians, I would say 80%, I would say something like 50%..it seems a lot of students are from korea. The school is, however, about 76% female. At least that's what they told us during transfer student orientation (and just to give you a number, they said 5500 students applied for transfers into parsons and they only accepted 161, this is for all of degrees. I believe fashion accounted for about 50 or so students)

From Collegeboard.com

(1st Year Students)

• 27% In-state students
  • 73% Out-of-state students
  • 0% Part-time students
  • 83% Women
  • 17% Men
  • <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 22% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 5% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 8% Hispanic
  • 30% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 23% Non-Resident Alien
  • 11% Race/ethnicity unreported

Tamar Stern said:
I did my bachelor of arts/fine arts with Parson's and Eugene Lang...
no more asians than whites, blacks, pinks or greens.

Pinks and greens???? I'm scared to go there now :neutral:

Does anyone on the boards here go to Parsons? I need to know if they have a magazine or any type of a student publication. I want to submit something. I couldn't find anything on the web.

mouko said:
If you are transfering, they want to make sure you are profficient in the basics. You should have credits equivalent to their foundations progra, basically life drawing, color theory and all that jazz. Just to let you know, they're more critical of transfer students. it's pretty hard to transfer in, while going through their foundations into the bfa fashion program its pretty easy.

As for asians, I would say 80%, I would say something like 50%..it seems a lot of students are from korea. The school is, however, about 76% female. At least that's what they told us during transfer student orientation (and just to give you a number, they said 5500 students applied for transfers into parsons and they only accepted 161, this is for all of degrees. I believe fashion accounted for about 50 or so students)

I am in a community college now i want to apply to Parsons do u think i would have problems getting in?
I had to go to a community college because of my grades, no my GPA is good and i was wondering if its harder to apply from a community college?

Parsons

For a Canadian student graduating high school, does anyone know what is required for admission?

Their website is really difficult to get around...

Thanksss

International Students

In addition to the general application requirements, international students are required to submit the following:
  1. TOEFL Exam results: required if English is not an applicant's native language. Minimum score required: 580 paper exam or 237 computerized exam. The College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) administers the TOEFL exam. International students should register for the exam at the earliest possible test date available. Visit the TOEFL WWW site for more information.
  2. Official Transcripts: Have original copies of your official high school and/or college transcripts sent directly to Parsons at the address above. Photocopies are not acceptable. International students must supply official English translations of all requested records. Untranslated documents will not be accepted.
  3. Read all requirements carefully. Only send the materials requested for the program to which you are applying.
You are not required to present any support documentation unless you are accepted into one of the degree programs. We request that you do not send such documentation prior to your acceptance.

Download the Application:
http://www.parsons.edu/applications/Undergrad_Application.pdf

You will need Acrobat Reader to open the application.

Hope this helps.:flower:

It did THANKS so much

Being from Canada... what's this whole SAT's thing I keep hearing about and am I required to take them?

About Parsons Master in History of Design

Hi, I'm new here. It seems like a lot of ppl here work in the fashion industry, so i would like to hear some advice from you guys. I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea about the Master degree in history of Design at Parsons? I have a Bachelor's degree in Art History, And now I wanna move on to something more industry oriented and more related to fashion. Can someone give me some suggestions whereelse i should apply?

Thanks a billion!:heart:

Parsons School of Fashion, New York City

Curious how most of the students can afford to attend. financial aid is available but the thought of $40,000+ debt right out of school is not one I like...

I agree. I'm planning to apply and hopefully attend but I certainly don't have paper coming out my a**... so then as soon as I graduate... I'm in sh*t. Ironically.

I want to go to Parsons too. But, I'm from Canada...and tution + student fees = :angry: . Lol.

From Canada as well (Toronto) and believe me... I know how you feel. After changing the tuition fees that I KNOW of into Canadian currency I saw my life flash before my eyes. :(

im going to parsons next year, and I think everyone feels the same way... i am living of campus, so that saves a little i guess

i know...everytime i thought about how much i was going to owe after graduation i felt sick to my stomach...especially after listening to some of the other students whose parents paid 15,000 cash each semester...and still had money to buy designer bags and jeans. but if you havent got the money for the place, youre still in good company!

Iyemstupid, That's what I've planned... I'd rather rent or maybe even put a down payment on a condo and somehow try to maintain... it could really get your life going.

Does anyone know how international students find jobs in New York before leaving for school... I mean I've worked at Aritzia and Betsey Johnson here in Toronto and done some volunteer work in the fashion industry and I'm 18 so I don't think experience won't be a problem but how does the whole "drop-a-resume-we'll-give-you-a-call THEN go to numerous interviews" work when you're in another country 10 hours away... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth C. said:
Curious how most of the students can afford to attend. financial aid is available but the thought of $40,000+ debt right out of school is not one I like...
Yeah, but I guess the fact that Parsons looks great on your resume is pretty intriguing.

Having said that, Parsons is a load of BS, I am a recent grad., I should know. :blush:
I was told (by their career dept. nonetheless) that the very name Parsons would open many doors for me. Sadly (unsurprisingly), after more in debt than can feed a 1000 homeless kids in Calcutta for a decade; I am yet receive a job offer that can allow me to survive on the job AND pay off the loan. Bunch of C.R.A.P.:angry: !!!

OTOH, what about folks at FIT, RISD etc. How is your job search going? Any pointers for a poor kid who signed off the next decade of her professional life to paying off Parsons... :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->