Patrik Rzepski Nyc's Only Real Star?

nope...for the most part i don't see it...so if it's not here...then where is it...that's my whole point...the experimental stuff usually doesn't sell and the more conservative(wearable) stuff does...it usually ends up at century 21 and other discount outlets...you know i wear those designers...but i don't know any other women who do...well i know one person and she's from switzerland...and i live in NYC and work in the fashion industry...so where is the customer.????..the market is miniscule...sad but true...

it seems like 'giving in' to commerciality somewhat is a wise move...it doesn't have to mean surrendering completely and losing oneself altogether...but you have to be in the game...look at the designers who are only moderately talented but are achieving success(esp.- posen)...mcqueen managed to do it and so did theyskens and elbaz...and they didn't sell their souls...compromise seems to be the key...

and speaking of jurgi...didn't he go out of business..?...

i don't have the answers scott...these are just my observations... :unsure: :(

:flower:

and space...no one said you weren't ALLOWED to make anything...but if no one buys what you make...then you better have a real job to pay the rent...or else come from money...because if it doesn't sell then you're not in business...and you're not part of the industry...and the art world generally looks down on fashion...so i really don't understand the point ...it would basically just be a hobby then..not a career...like fishing or golf...and i imagine it could be very fulfilling...if that's what you want to do... :flower:

But Soft*,you must remember these are small 'independent' businesses too and many of them want to keep it that way. Elbaz is designing or Lanvin,McQueen is partly owned by Gucci and Posen has all his celeb clientele not to mention he's now being supported by Puffy....commercial or creative,these smaller designers just aren't going to have that kind of success. So why should one conform just for the sake of selling when their work isn't even going to get out there like those can,in the first place?

If you look at Viktor & Rolf,they have lost alot of their faithful fans because of the turn around.

like i said ...i don't have the asnwers...but i think it's fair to say that most people would like success and to see their work recognized...being a starving artists is fine and romantic in your twenties and maybe even your early thirties...but by the time you pass forty...trust me...it isn't so cute anymore...i'm not talking about huge commercial success a la gucci...just enough to make a comfortable living and not have to worry how you're going to pay the rent and buy fabric every month...and be able to hire a pr firm to get you more press and brand recognition...

i watch friends of mine who are tremendously talented...do you remeber yumi eto?...i think she's about to finally shut down after 8-10 yrs of struggling along...to remind you of her work here's a pic...it's painful to watch someone so talented struggle for so long...i used to believe that she would eventually make it...but the world is a different place now...the little guy can't compete...as you pointed out...and it's hard to survive on custom orders and private clients alone...it's just not realistic...unfortunately...

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely agree with softgrey on everything she said. :flower:

It takes a lot of maturity to be able to combine one's creative passions with a sense of commerciality. Romantic idealism is fine from an 18 year-old student designer living at home. But in the real world, when you have real problems, it's hard to feed your purely creative endeavors when you don't have money to feed yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->