Paul Frank Is My Friend

Good grief.

Designer Frank Sues Ex-Business Partners Fri Mar 17, 7:44 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Paul Frank, the artist behind the monkey-face icon Julius that adorns a popular line of fashions for young girls, is suing the company that bears his name in a bid to shut it down.

This week, Frank sued Costa Mesa-based Paul Frank Industries, claiming company President Ryan Heuser and Chief Executive John Oswald fired him in November "without cause."

Frank also claims the two executives are paying themselves excessive salaries and using company cars and other assets for personal use.

The firm generates annual sales in excess of $40 million because of the popularity of Julius and other designs, including Ellie the elephant and Clancy the giraffe, Frank claims, so he is seeking an order to shut down the firm to protect his interests.

In a separate lawsuit, Frank claims the company is using his designs without his permission.

"I was promised by the partners I brought in that they would make my creations even more profitable," Frank said in a statement. "What they didn't tell me was that they would snatch those profits for themselves."

A call to the company seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday.

The company has said Frank left the company last year "to pursue other interests," noting he would remain "a significant stakeholder."

The designer, whose full name is Paul Frank Sunich, started the company in 1995, selling wallets fitted with a patch of his monkey icon design from a newsstand where he worked.

Heuser joined later that year to handle marketing and Oswald came on two years later.

At the time, the Frank, Heuser and Oswald each owned one-third of the company.

Over the years, the garment firm has grown and now operates 14 stores in Los Angeles, London, Tokyo and other cities.

(AP)

Last edited by a moderator:
what a mess.. even though Paul Frank items are terribly cheese-y i hate what happened to him and i'll be almost sad to see this company going out of business (a friend is importing/distributing this for my local market, he will sure lose lots of money now..)

here some more on this from wwd.com
Paul Frank Sunich, a co-founder of Paul Frank Industries, has filed a lawsuit seeking the dissolution of the apparel and accessories company that bears his name and accusing his former partners of mismanagement.
Sunich alleged in a complaint filed Wednesday in California Superior Court that Paul Frank president Ryan Heuser and chief executive officer John Oswald fired him without cause, have unjustly enriched themselves, and tried to force the sale of Sunich's one-third stake in the $40 million-a-year enterprise.
Liquidation and dissolution of the 10-year-old Costa Mesa, Calif., company is "reasonably necessary for the protection of the rights or interests of the plaintiff," the suit said.
Sunich is seeking a breakup and distribution of the assets, as well as $3 million in damages and restitution, and the appointment of a receiver to manage the company pending the outcome of the case.

ahhh paul frank i didnt relaise that was still around ahvent seen it in ages .. its cute. I went through a slight ok major obsession with it when i was like 12.
After gooogling paul frank i found a bag i really want its so cute its a camera on it. But its only available in usa :( anyone seen it in uk ??

photo from fredflare.com this would be such a cute bag for textiles class

haha. paul frank is adorable.

Aw... isn't that so cute? I have a pink teeshirt with that picture on it.

:( I didn't know all that backround info about paul frank.....but I practically live in his clothes :smile:!

nikos said:
i really like them, though i always pick out the most "neutral" things. i have to say they offer amazing quality in terms of fabric, much better than most anyone else in their field.

I absolutely agree about the quality of the fabric! I just looove it! their Pjs are just :heart:

Ive bought some of his t-shirts too and I loved them! :D

I like his stuff a bit more than A Bathing Ape, but a bit less than L.A.M.B/Harijuku Lovers :smile:

I don't like it, I don't think it is very fun. It's a bit like manga. Can't tolerate those things.

i use to like paul frank back when i was in grade school. pussycow was my favorite character. he use to be so cool and always e-mail me personally about all his updates. now that his company got big, never hear from him again. i met him several times in his old newport beach warehouse when he was starting up the brand. i love that store! he was the one who introduced me to kitson, because he had a signing there. that was way before the paris, nicole, and lindsay trend. he also use to have sales twice a year at the warehouse. that as so cool. you can win free stuff, his shirts were 10 bucks, and everything was 70% off or below. but now everything is soo overpriced! last time I was at the LA store, i wanted to buy a pair of glasses and they were $140?!?!:shock: everything is a "collaboration" and "limited edition" and he jacked up the price for that. his things are so boring to me now. :yuk:

Paul Frank was cute years ago, until the teenage wanna-be punk/emo kids took it as thier new mascot as they abandoned Hello Kitty.

JJohnson said:
I wish there was Paul Frank for guys :D

You're kidding, right? A lot of it is "unisex" (I hate that word!), and some of it is male-specific.

I never cared much for Julius, but some of the less overtly branded stuff is nice. I have a hoodie and sunglasses with the small, discreet house-and-trees logo, and a pair of boxer briefs with the Marshall stack that says Paul Frank instead of Marshall.

I was interested to see what the Warhol-licensed stuff would be like but most of it was way too cutesy or loud for me. There was a pretty nice striped polo but by the time it came out, that look had become overexposed IMO. There was also a tee shirt with a graphic that looked like a color negative of a table (in Max's Kansas City, no doubt) littered with bottles, glasses and dirty ashtrays. I wish I'd bought that one, but as it was in Urban Outfitters I figured within a week half the people I work with would be wearing one, so I skipped it. :P

Here they are worn amongst the teenagers, no matter if they are emo or "different", mums, teachers and doctors. There's no limit, because everybody wants Paul Frank to love them.

Paul Frank is great for every day streetwear at an affordable price. It is "cutsie" but not everything in life has to be serious! I like to collect wallets/bags from P.F.

they definately have guy clothing

i loved paul frank from ages like 13-16, but ive grown out of it now. i still wear a couple shirts, mostly the wittier stuff like the mr.t julius shirt, the andy warhol julius shirt, and the village people shirt

tangerine said:
You're kidding, right? A lot of it is "unisex" (I hate that word!), and some of it is male-specific.

I never cared much for Julius, but some of the less overtly branded stuff is nice. I have a hoodie and sunglasses with the small, discreet house-and-trees logo, and a pair of boxer briefs with the Marshall stack that says Paul Frank instead of Marshall.

I was interested to see what the Warhol-licensed stuff would be like but most of it was way too cutesy or loud for me. There was a pretty nice striped polo but by the time it came out, that look had become overexposed IMO. There was also a tee shirt with a graphic that looked like a color negative of a table (in Max's Kansas City, no doubt) littered with bottles, glasses and dirty ashtrays. I wish I'd bought that one, but as it was in Urban Outfitters I figured within a week half the people I work with would be wearing one, so I skipped it. :P

yeah.............if it's at Urban Outfitters..............I avoid it at all costs.........because soon every spoiled college kid will have it on.........thinking that they are hip and cool:rolleyes:

Paul Frank is cool for like PJs and stuff.
I actually bought these Paul Frank rainboots the other day. They were on sale at delias. It hasn't rained since I bought them though, which sucks cause I really want to wear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->