Performance art

Perickles

Reaction score
In art, performance art is a performance presented to an audience, traditionally interdisciplinary. Performance may be either scripted or unscripted, random or carefully orchestrated; spontaneous or otherwise carefully planned with or without audience participation. The performance can be live or via media; the performer can be present or absent. It can be any situation that involves four basic elements: time, space, the performer's body, or presence in a medium, and a relationship between performer and audience. Performance art can happen anywhere, in any venue or setting and for any length of time. The actions of an individual or a group at a particular place and in a particular time constitute the work. Wikipedia.

I really love this kind of art, so I want to know more. I think the most famous artist of this art movement is Marina Abramović, she is the "grandmother of performance art".

Marina Abramović & Ulay - Rest Energy (1980)

The artists held a taut bow with an arrow loaded and pointing at Abramovic’s heart, with only the weight of their bodies maintaining the tension. Microphones recorded their rapidly accelerating heartbeats.

20292317.jpg

hd.cnscg.com

Anya Liftig - Rubber Bands

20110126143405rubberban.jpg

artslant.com

Chris Burden - Shoot (1971)

He was shot in his left arm by an assistant from a distance of about five meters.

cburden-shoot1329003078645.png

studyblue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Marta Minujín - Operación Perfume

Marta-Minujin.jpg

metro951.com

1225007421844_f.jpg

fotolog- catalogodearte

spraying the streets with Diesel Fuel For Life.

Meat Joy by Carolee Schneemann

meatjoy_4_1.gif

freeartlondon - wordpress

tumblr_mb6pvtwoa01rt4riyo1_500.jpg

thepoliticsofcruelty tumblr

Blue Women Art by Yves Klein (1962)

yves-klein-untitled.jpg

mccullagh.org

Piège pour un voyeur by Michel Journiac - 1969

Michel-Journiac-Pi%C3%A8ge-pour-un-voyeur.jpg

altblog.be

unfortunately I don't understand french, is there any way you could expand what the above piece is about, as it looks interesting! Also thank you Perickles for all your contributions to this thread, as performance art is something I shall be exploring later on in the spring, so all this research is great :smile:

Piège pour un voyeur (Trap for a Voyeur), first version in 1969. This is about a human cage of white neon lights at Galerie Patricia Dorfmann, ensnaring the body of the hostage in the strict geometries of Minimalist sculpture. Michel Journiac was one of the founders of the Body Art movement in France and as a gay man activist, he attacked society's stereotypes, defended those who existed outside of daily society, and challenged traditional moral values.

Yoko Ono, Cut piece, 1965

Happy Birthday Yoko :mohawk:

Yoko+Ono.jpg

last.fm

Yoko_Ono_CutPiece.jpg

sweettalkonthespot.com

Kim Beom screams at yellow paint

Kim-Beom-Painting-yellow-scream8-450x337.jpg

blogs.walkerart.org

Fashion Victims by Yolanda Dominguez

Now we all know and understand the term ‘fashion victim’, but performance artist Yolanda Dominguez gave a whole new spin on it with her new piece entitled ‘Fashion Victim’. The piece is a response to the recent disaster that happened in Bangladesh when more than 1.000 textile workers including many women and children died after their workshop collapsed. Yolanda placed women on Madrid’s Gran Via shopping street under rubble and a selection of fashion accessories she called “an appeal for responsible production and consumption, both for people and the planet”. Though provocative – it is obvious these type of performances need to happen to create some kind of awareness. Visuals are fantastic.

04_Fashion-Victims_Yolanda-Dominguez.jpg

02_Fashion-Victims_Yolanda-Dominguez.jpg

09_Fashion-Victims_Yolanda-Dominguez.jpg

source: blendbureaux.com

when an idea is getting too literal, there really is no need to execute. I don't want to point out which that is/are, but this type of art sometimes can be very very superficial.

Sometimes I think that when the art work is too conceptual you aren't able to represent what you want to say in a clear and understandable way, because you have no a good power of synthesis, which is a talent that everyone wants to have. Of course, it depends of the context, for example in this case of the fashion victim, is a good way to say what she wants to the mass. Arts are not only for snobs in a museum.

just in case if you think that is, I was not talking about Fashion Victims. that was purely what I feel after seeing too much of sh!tty stuffs.

I don't just try to find the bad part of it, it just came to me that I feel instantly have to post it here.
how complete bs it is!

Performance art is one of the least controlled and more transient forms of art.

I'm wondering what people think about this.
http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=bf1bee538a10

I'm not very into politics, but this performance made me interested about what is happening in Russia. However, that's what art is about: to make you think differently, to change something, to be a different person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->