Personal Styling / Becoming a Personal Stylist or Shopper

MJCouture

Reaction score
Stylists vs. Personal Shopper

I have noticed a lot of people using the term 'personal shopper' to refer to stylists who do not do editorial/ad work, and only dress celebrities or other personal clients. I have a huge problem with this, primarily because I think the skill level is just the same (in fact it is much harder to dress someone who actually exists, it is far easier to dress an **** 6 foot gaze who is there only to appear as she is styled). But I am looking to have this cleared up--- can a stylist only do editorial and ad work? While I think there are examples of celebrity 'stylists' who really are just glorefied personal shoppers (ie: rachel zoe), I don't think we should discredit EVERY person who works in that part of the industry as not having styling ability and technique. Am I off base?

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal shopper does sound like it's somehow below the status of a stylist ... so I don't love the term either. Even though it really does describe the work that is being done in many cases.

I prefer to call it "personal stylist" ... which indicates, at least to me, that it's using the same skills only it's for an individual, not for editorial, commercial or catalog work.

I also see a slight difference from a "personal shopper" and a "personal/celebrity/wardrobe or fashion stylist". There are also personal shoppers that don't do just fashion ... they might provide gifts for a busy executive to give out or things like that. So, to me, the term "personal shopper" really applies to someone who does the shopping and brings the goods to the client to select from whether it is personal wardobe or something else. A "stylist" is more involved in making strong suggestions and in the decision making ... helping a client enforce or revamp their personal image.

I have a query about what to charge for personal styling. I am working more and more with people who want to improve their image and I'm finding I like it very much.

But I'd like to get an idea of what others charge in this area. I want to be fair but I don't want to undercharge either.

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

Well, I'll offer this, although it won't really give you what you should be charging: It cannot be anywhere near what a stylist's regular day rate is for print which usually runs from about $600 to $1200 ... depending on the city and the level of the stylist's portfolio. But up to half that would be reasonable ... unless it's celeb work. (I"ve read the Rachel Zoe gets $6,000 a day ... but then that is the extreme and not what the average stylist makes). So, it works the same as day rates ... it really depends on the city you are in, your level of expertise and credits and your clients' ability to pay. Higher end clients will expect to pay more ... regular people who are merely fashion challenged won't be able to afford it.

^Yes it varies greatly...I think we need more of an idea of what exactly you do so then some one could be able to narrow down a price estimate :smile:

If you have had more than 5 customers I'd say it is fair to charge 60-100 euro/dollars per hours

I seem to working more and more with people who want to accelerate their career and they have realised that their appearance is working to a disadvantage.

I start by meeting the client to get an idea of their personality and if I want to work with them. I then meet with them at their home to perform a wardrobe assessment to get an idea of what they like to wear and how I can build on their existing wardrobe, also we throw things away.

I may accompany them and/or suggest a good haircut, I also show them makeup applications (I used to me an MUA and I like to keep my skills up) that work with them. And I also chat with them via e-mail throughout their day. In a nutshell I make myself available to them for support anytime they want within reason.

Does this give you a better understanding of what I do and hopefully an idea of what I can charge.

Is Rachel Zoe a small blonde woman? That is an incredible fee!

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

Well, it's not really what you do ... but the level you have reached, what your direct competitors are charging and what the market you work in will bear. Stylists in New York can charge more than stylists in Dayton, Ohio.

If you are well known to be an expert and have lot's of clients as references to back you up ... you certainly can charge more than someone who is just starting out ... first year or so. I have no idea what personal stylists charge in your city ... you should do some research, if you can. Then go to the upper end if you have years of experience and the high powered references under your belt. If you are in it less than a year, start at the lower end and see how that goes.

Like anything, it is controlled by supply and demand. If stylists are in high demand and there are not many in your city ... then all the working stylists will probably get more money. If there are lots of out of work stylists and not many clients ... you'll find out that they will start to offer cut rates and lower the fees for everyone. And, then, it may not even be worth you while to stay in the biz.

Everyone has given me food for thought, especially Bette. I will do my own research and find out what other stylists are charging. My concentration has mainly been commercial but lately my phone has been ringning for personal styling..

in NYC
from what i understand there is about $200/hour with a 2-3 hour minimum...
check online to see what others are charging...

of course- people can say they charge whatever they like on a website...
but that does not mean that anyone is actually hiring them...

i really don't know anyone who has ever used a personal stylist...
they just find a friend with good taste and ask them to take them shopping...

:innocent:

Travelling personal stylist

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm putting this in the right section. I have found a few people to be very helpful in lending their opinions to a number of queries so I'd like to get some advice.

I have a client that would like me to take them shopping in Europe, I told them of my up coming trip to Paris and they would like to accompany me in a professional capacity.

My query is I'm not sure what to charge them? I am of the opinion that I should charge for time, but I'm wondering about travel expenses.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

Uh ... having no experience at traveling with a personal client, but knowing others that have traveled for photoshoots and how they handle it ... I have a few ideas:

If you will be working for them the whole time you are there, you should charge them your daily rate at the minimum, but perhaps adding rates for travelling days since even when you are not working (travel days and days off) you cannot take any other gigs. And it should include all your costs; airfare, hotel, meals.

However, if you are just working for them for a specified number of days, and you were already going to Paris for your own reasons and you will still be able to accomplish your original agenda, I'd say charge for hotel and meals just for the days that you will be working for this client. The rest of the trip would be on you, as you originally planned it.

Bette,

You've always given me good advice throughout my career. In fact you may not remember me from another MuseCube but you influenced my decision to go into this career.

Thank you again for such great advice, I was thinking along the same lines as you, but you also gave me a few things I didn't consider.

All the best,

Jacqueline

You are welcome ... and no, I don't remember you on Musecube ... I don't even spend much time there at all ... so it must have been a long time ago. It's so nice to see you here are tFS. :flower: A way better place ... especially this forum ... for serious professionals.

I didn't think you'd remember me, I had mailed you for a word document on becoming a stylist that you had offered. I think it might have been from another forum (it was 3yrs ago) but I'll never forget it and I still refer to this document today. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to become a stylist, but you helped a great deal in furthering my decision.

I do enjoy this forum, I just wish I had a bit more time to contribute. I'm hoping that will change in the near future.

How are things going with you? I am still trying to find my way and I am still building my book but it's still enjoyable.

Thanks again!

Jacqueline

Personal Stylist Books... Recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm just starting out as a personal stylist/shopper, and so far I've come across one really good book called 'Colour Me Beautiful'.

Do you know of any others that you could highly recommend?

Thanks! :smile:

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!!

Be aware that this book is really, really old ... I think it came out in the 80's. So, unless they have updated it, the colors may not be current. But I would say that the threory still is pretty good ... at least a good starting point to learn about color on various people. But you also need to learn about texture, body shape, balance, trends, and how to run and promote a small business.

I really haven't come across any really good books about how to be a personal stylist ... or how to set up and run your business, but I'm sure there are a wide assorment of books that can help.

There is one book, but it's more for stylists (wardrobe, hair, make up, manicurists) who work with photographers and models in the fashion/commercial world ... not for personal stylists. But it's got lots of very important information if you want to get into regular fashion styling: http://www.crystalwrightlive.com/books-a-dvds.html

Of course, the more you learn about fashion in general, the better. So ... you should also refer to the following thread, which has a lot of recommendations about various designers and concepts and see if any might shed some light on fashion history and what's current. Books About Fashion & Designers - Recommendations ?

Thank you for your response!

Yeah they've released many editions I have the 2010 one which I've found quite useful. It also has chapters on body types, makeup, fashion styles etc. I'm quite fortunate to have a web designer and marketer who takes care of my business.

I agree I love to follow current fashion blogs and keep up with the fashion magazines, I've found this forum a great way to do that too. Thank you, I will definitely look into that book and check out that thread!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanY
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->