Pierre Cardin Is Up For Sale

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
(from vogue.co.uk)
CARDIN ON THE TABLE

PIERRE CARDIN has put his company on the market, hoping to close a deal by the end of June. The 81-year-old designer, who is expected to host one of his annual superlative soirees at his futuristic hillside mansion to celebrate the Cannes Film Festival later this month, has hired the Italian group Multipartner to run the sale with possible interested parties including Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and private equity group Cerberus. The company, which has annual turnover of approximately £24 million, is likely to sell for somewhere in the region of £270 million. While the sale is likely to include the fashion house's headquarters in Paris, Milan, Barcelona and Beijing, Cardin will not be giving up his own real estate. And the designer, who has never been shy to proclaim his status as a "fashion leader", is likely to maintain strong ties with the company, despite the sale. "I would like to die with my fashion," he said two years ago. "Yves Saint Laurent stopped. He is free. He is not my cup of tea. He liked to stop, he stopped. I like work, I work." (May 5 2004, AM)

Expect rumours of who will take over this house by the end of the year or they can continue being stale selling in department stores the world over. :innocent:

£270 million is a good deal, he should go for it. Him, a "fashion leader"? :rolleyes: It's a good thing he sets himself apart from Yves St Laurent, cause they're not even comparable... :innocent:

Pierre Cardin???? YSL???? they are indeed not comparable! take a money, old man!

is this a joke? Who would pay that for a dried up company that barely even owns its own name. His name is still licensed up the wazoo, I assume that they are all going to be bought up as well like Gucci did with YSL (not to compare the too)?

Originally posted by MJCouture@May 7th, 2004 - 7:23 pm
is this a joke? Who would pay that for a dried up company that barely even owns its own name. His name is still licensed up the wazoo, I assume that they are all going to be bought up as well like Gucci did with YSL (not to compare the too)?
Well... Pierre Cardin was one of the greats a few decades ago; the history is what you buy, I suppose.

With some strategic decisions, like cleaning up the licenses, and a great designer and marketing, Cardin could be elevated to the stratosphere.

I think Cardin could easily be another relaunch to make headlines in the top magazines. It WAS quite an original line years ago. I can't think of anything from them in a long time though, save for cologne. I know it's licensed all over the place, but where is it being sold?

Whoever the licensee is that makes Pierre Cardin dress shirts is doing a good job. You can get them at Century 21 for like $15 and the quality is comparable to shirts priced at 2 1/2 times that.

Originally posted by tott@May 7th, 2004 - 5:09 pm
Well... Pierre Cardin was one of the greats a few decades ago; the history is what you buy, I suppose.

With some strategic decisions, like cleaning up the licenses, and a great designer and marketing, Cardin could be elevated to the stratosphere.
Exactly.

Originally posted by ignitioned32+May 8th, 2004 - 7:37 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ May 8th, 2004 - 7:37 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tott@May 7th, 2004 - 5:09 pm

Exactly. [/b][/quote]
i agree, Cardin is already making a kind of comeback since the begining of spring and his vintage is HUGE in Japan.

i'll be glad to see a total re-launch of the label

thanks for the topic igni :flower:

i think they are indeed comparable with ysl considering that pierre cardin was around abt the same time as ysl then ysl had to be rescued by the gucci group.Probably Pierre may also make a strong comeback after a takeover

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->