Pierrot F/W 07-08 New York

brian

Reaction score
pierrot is back!! i am so excited!! :buzz:

Pierrot: Send in the Clowns
Renata Espinosa
February 03rd, 2007 @ 10:14 AM - New York

French-born, New York-based Pierre Carrilero may only show his collection, Pierrot, once a year for the fall collections – his handmade knitwear, after all, is decidedly cold-weather oriented and recalls the cozy winter sweaters your mother would have knit for you – but frankly, we would wear Pierrot year-round if we could, because these knits are so much more than clothes. They are performers, storytellers and . Pierrot creates knits for merry pranksters, for gals with rich inner lives and a wicked sense of humor.

Held on Thursday, February 2 at a tiny black box theater at the start of New York fashion week, the Fall '07 Pierrot show, entitled “Au Clair de La Lune” in reference to a French popular song from the 1700s, Carrilero looked to his line's namesake, Pierrot, as the starting point, the character from the song. As any Francophile could tell you, Pierrot is the wistful, white-faced pantomine who wears ballooning tunics with oversized buttons and wide-legged trousers. He’s a clown, but a melancholy one, and like many clown characters, the comedy sometimes masks a darker, more disturbed motivation.

Carrilero divided the collection into two parts: silent era French clown with knits of all shapes in a mostly black, white and red palette of harlequin-esque diamond patterns and stripes knit into short flirty skirts or oversized sweater dresses, and then an exuberant passage of technicolor clowns in knit pieces that looked straight out of Vogue Knitting circa 1978: rainbow colored shawls that looked like afghans, mulitcolored puffed sleeve sweaters paired with leotards and fishnets and knit pants held up by suspenders. If there were a sweater you could wear to the disco, Pierrot has created them.

Always a showman and a performer at heart, Carrilero’s presentation was a fully staged work of theater. Models, wearing classic pantomime makeup, gloves and berets or small caps, didn’t simply walk onto the stage. Instead, they entered from the back of the house, gesturing like pantomimes before posing onstage in front of black and white images of the moon or silent black and white films clowns projected onto a screen behind them. The juxatoposition of the girls, who were delightful to watch and perfectly cast (not all models are capable of pulling off pantomime - or any acting for that matter - without looking ridiculous) with the psychotic clowns was a work of art.

Pierrot displays a passion for knitting unlike anything else that is out there, and its whimsy and creativity is inspired. The collection continually sells out at Barneys New York each winter it is carried and one can easily understand why: who wouldn’t want to wear a sweater that functions like an antidepressant spun out of yarn?
--fashionwiredaily

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

nymag

I love it! It's such a 'happy' collection. Love the colours, but it's not cutting edge or new or anything, but I really like it

Scenesters rejoice! Now they can be ironic and warm. :P But in all seriousness, I don't know anything about this designer so maybe I'm just missing it, but a lot of those pieces look like things a grandma would make for her 1 - 10 year old grandkids from one of those knitting pattern magazines. :sick: "5 step easy clown cardigan!" :yuk:

kisa said:
Scenesters rejoice! Now they can be ironic and warm. :P But in all seriousness, I don't know anything about this designer so maybe I'm just missing it, but a lot of those pieces look like things a grandma would make for her 1 - 10 year old grandkids from one of those knitting pattern magazines. :sick: "5 step easy clown cardigan!" :yuk:

:rofl: haha maybe that's why I love this collection. I loved my grandmother haha.

sorry kisa,but your sarcasm isn't lost on me. what is so wrong with that? all of his knits are hand-made and great quality yarns and stitches so they're very special pieces to own...this is hardly ragamuffin.

love pierrot...and this collection :heart: quite magical. i love that hooded knit dress and the sweater with the wolf or fox motif. and i love the idea of the harlequin being in this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->