Pinhole cams!

That is so cool! I wish I had stubled across something like this back when I took photography in school and had access to a darkroom. It would definatley have been a project unlike all others. :smile:

I know I love the way the pics look. I've emailed the address to my sister who is taking photography at college.

I've worked with pinhole cameras in photography class but none have came out that clear. :huh:

I myself have worked with a pinhole camera when I was in school. I enjoyed it alot. I love the antique effect it provides.

*GASP*

What a lovely idea! It's like every little picture has its own unique frame...

bump

Hey is there a way to get rid of that black circle around the picture?

^ You'd have to move the pinhole closer to the film so it covers the entire area. But hey, it's damn near free! Quit yer whinin'.

B)

Once I burn up my last shots on the roll, I'll show you guys how I made a 35mm pinhole cam out of a dollar store camera. This is provided that my cam gets good results. No need to make an *** of myself, right? :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
^haha, thanks. titania sent me some links too yesterday

i found one here...
http://users.rcn.com/stewoody/index.htm
It has info on how to develop the pictures.
If you look at their camera, it's huge... And the film they are using is big too. They are using photo paper, I think, for making the negative and making the positive prints.
If I use the camera from pinhole.cz won't the negative be small?

Here's stuff on exposure times
http://www.pinhole.org/make/exposure.cfm
I guess the more sensitive the paper is, the lesser the exposure time will be. What paper/film have you found to be the best, fbm ?

Gee, I wonder where she got those links from... :innocent:

Anyway, now that I'm on the spot, I don't like using paper in a pinhole or individual sheets of film for that matter. It's just too much hassle to run in and out of a darkroom or keep fumbling through a change bag to get another shot. So, like a true vagabond (you should've seen my luggage last week,) I take cameras made to use regular film and tweak them into pinholes. That way, I can shoot and shoot and shoot without needing a darkroom, etc, between shots. I can also just dump the rolls off to be developed like any other film. Bada bing.

All that said, I love Ilford HP5, to the point that thinking about the grain gets me all flush. But anything 100 speed or so will do, as long as it's Ilford. :smile: I use a second or so for exposure, it's not rocket science right? For color, I use whatever is cheap and slow, like 100 speed Kodak.

Go to a thrift store, spend a buck on a 35mm camera, crack it open. Figure out how it works (not rocket science, remember) and remove the shutter thing, which is just usually a piece of plastic attached to a spring. Now you have a hole. Make a pinhole out of your favorite beverage ( :innocent: ) and center that baby over the hole where the shutter once was. Viola! A self winding pinhole. Use a business card taped to the front as your new 'shutter.'

Work smarter, not harder friends! :flower: I'll post an explicit example of this sooner or later. I have a few rolls to finish burning.

Oh, if you want to get precise: http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/diameter.htm

PS: Excuse the sarcasm, it was one of those days.

looking forward to the update, fbm :smile:

that would be cool to use a real camera and not having to develop a shot each time you take a picture
and you can take pictures of yourself too, no? cuz you can manage the self-timer??
and you can adjust the time the shutter closes?? (shutter speed dial)

i'm trying to read as much as i can about it and parts before i start :doh:
I think it'd be cool to develop the photos myself too instead of taking it to a photo lab.. I heard you can do some effects with it maybe.

hey what does it mean 35 mm camera? is it the film that measures 35 millimetres?
so, i guess you mean we should also get the 'regular' kind of film, not the paper kind in one of the links i posted
but!!! what about the size of the resulting photo? it will be small then! :unsure:

i hope this hobby's not too expensive? :lol:

You're over-thinking a primitive thing. Just do it. :flower:

I'll answer questions after I see results.

I love pinhole cameras! I usually make them out of old Pop Tart boxes, tape, and tin foil.

Here are two of the photos I've taken. They're kind of abstract looking but that's why I like them :smile:

Picture1-4.png

n1155360213_30062469_2757.jpg

^^ The second one is stunning. That's changed my mind; I'M MAKING ONE! :heart:

i like both of them..:P thanks for sharing soscalls and welcome to TFS!
what is the 1st one exactly anyway..

Wow, thank you both so much :D

The first one is actually my sister (she's in the 2nd one, too!) standing beneath some trees. I love this type of photography because you never know exactly what you'll get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->