Pom Pom Power

Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Nov 4 2004, 07:34 PM
Avoid cottons, unless you want dense pompoms.
[snapback]418245[/snapback]​

i want VERY dense pom poms... :P :innocent:

soft, as soon as I saw the title I knew who the poster might be and lo and behold I look up and what do I see? but a suitcase with a pompom attached that my gradnma made and attached to her suitcase. anyway, maybe i'll take it off and rock it somehow . am not sure yet how.

that picture, is that from the jo gordon site or someone wearing her scarf or?

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 4 2004, 07:38 PM
i want VERY dense pom poms... :P :innocent:
[snapback]418248[/snapback]​

I don't think I explained myself well . . . With cotton, you are going to be able to see the individual strands more- the pompom won't look as consolidated as one made with loftier yarns. Cotton has little resilience so you won't be able to wrap as much as with a stretchier yarn, so although heavy and denser, it won't look it.

Here is the bottom of a handknit skirt I bought a few days ago. The pom-poms on the bottom are all little crochet balls. It is hea-vy, so I am waiting for it to get a little colder and wear it with some thick tights and flats.

I absolutely LOVE pom poms! :P :heart: :heart:

I made a 50's prom dress covered with them

Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Nov 4 2004, 08:45 PM
I don't think I explained myself well . . . With cotton, you are going to be able to see the individual strands more- the pompom won't look as consolidated as one made with loftier yarns. Cotton has little resilience so you won't be able to wrap as much as with a stretchier yarn, so although heavy and denser, it won't look it.

Here is the bottom of a handknit skirt I bought a few days ago. The pom-poms on the bottom are all little crochet balls. It is hea-vy, so I am waiting for it to get a little colder and wear it with some thick tights and flats.
[snapback]418292[/snapback]​

that skirt seems lovely paprika...

what will happen if i use a thinner yarn?... :flower:

Chloe seems to use pom poms quite often. Imitation of Christ also used them this season/.

Brilliant thread softgrey. Thankyou so much. Love all the pics posted - its giving me lots of ideas. Yes you can get pom pom makers but they are for very small ones (like you get on bably clothes). I'm going to make another one on sunday. I am thinking of a big black long pom pom scark. Maybe with one pom pom in a contrasting colour (copying y's I know).

Oh I love this thread - I hope it runs for a while.

Pom poms=cute cute cute cute cute :wub:

It's cool that you can make them yourself. Did you know you can fingerknit, too, by the way? I did that all the time when I was a little girl.
That and pom poms together would look great. I should make a fingerknitted pom pom scarf and show you :flower:

..when you have made the pom pom I've read it's a good idea to hold it over hot steam..I'm not sure why tho' :unsure:

marcjacobs-pompom-scarf.jpg

Marc Jacobs pompom scarf

Originally posted by helena@Nov 5 2004, 05:00 AM
Brilliant thread softgrey. Thankyou so much. Love all the pics posted - its giving me lots of ideas. Yes you can get pom pom makers but they are for very small ones  (like you get on bably clothes). I'm going to make another one on sunday. I am thinking of a big black long pom pom scark. Maybe with one pom pom in a contrasting colour (copying y's I know). 

Oh I love this thread - I hope it runs for a while.
[snapback]418638[/snapback]​

you are welcome helena..and i hope everyone gets inspired to do some creative things...the scarf idea is pretty much what i was considering as well...but i love the idea of hanging them off bags or pinning them on lapels...

my mom had a very rare burst of creativity last year when she saw a multi pom pom scarf for hundreds of dollars...she was convinced that it would be easy to recreate...so she went home and did it... :woot: it's deep plum coloured (really nice) and she decided she wanted to give it to me!!!... :P ..thanks mom!...

hanne...that marc jacobs scarf is cute too...i bet you could just take a scarf you already have and add pompoms... hmmm..

mimmy...if you make something..you should definitely share...

:flower:

eleanor...can you find any examples of some choe stuff?...please???...i love chloe... :heart:

Confessions of a pom pomholic:

i once bought a DKNY sweater just for it's pom poms!
I walk down the street just swinging those pom poms round n round :\

sounds adorable sugo...shake it sister... :P

from miss martha stewart... pretty funny...
POM-POM ANIMALS

We usually see them tied to ice skates or perched atop winter hats, but with a little imagination, pom-poms can be transformed into surprisingly realistic, delightful little creatures. Inspired by the pom-pom animals made by the renowned Steiff Company, these palm-size treasures are perfect for tucking into an Easter basket.

These instructions demonstrate how to make a ladybug, a baby chick, and the caterpillar shown here, but by varying the color, size, and placement of the pom-poms, you can create just about any animal. Before you begin, study the physical characteristics and postures of the animals you plan to make, taking inspiration from nature magazines, encyclopedias, children’s books, or even a trip to the zoo. Since the pom-pom parts are simply joined with a needle and thread, it’s easy to experiment until you get the right look.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...12&catid=cat253

I love pom poms, perfect addition to a bag and how cosy would that Y's by Yohji jacket be. I also love the mini pom poms on the marni accessories, so cute.

Kenzo a/w04 - I loved this collection, though not the pompom outfits in particular... :wacko:

ken025.jpg
ken026.jpg

Not quite pompoms, but... :woot:

ken014.jpg
ken029.jpg

those are GORGEOUS...!!! :woot:
thank you so much for all the beautiful pom pom pics strawberry... :heart:

lol I've never thought of them as a good accessorie! Now I want a pom pom pin to close up my sweater. :flower:

the pom pom collars are as fabulous as fur...but more friendly... :flower: :heart:

I want to go ice skating in Central Park with pom poms on my perfectly white boots!!!

i promise to take you when you're here... :kiss: :flower:

we went ice skating so much when i was a kid...my pompoms were 1/2 red and 1/2 white with bells... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->