Pop #40 S/S 2019 : Alek Wek, Gisele Bündchen, Hailey Bieber & Sara Grace Wallerstedt

I always enjoy your encyclopaedic knowledge of Pop, it's almost as though you work there to understand so much about it. Dare I say you are it's biggest fan? Does your love stretch the full 20years or just since Ms Grand exited the project?

Yes biggest fan. Only have a handful of earlier issues. Issue 2 is spectacular!

The early issues of Pop were a real treat, I truly looked forward to the magazine, and a lot of the editorial images made an impression on me to this very day.

The early issues of Pop were a real treat, I truly looked forward to the magazine, and a lot of the editorial images made an impression on me to this very day.

Same, some of Mert + Marcus's work during this period was quite astonishing and really set the template for the next decade. I wonder if when we look back on 30 years of pop, we will look at the current agenda with the same misty eyes?

Same, some of Mert + Marcus's work during this period was quite astonishing and really set the template for the next decade. I wonder if when we look back on 30 years of pop, we will look at the current agenda with the same misty eyes?

Harley Weir, Viviane Sassen, Brianna Capozzi, Charlotte Wales, Talia Chetrit, Stevie Dance..... This magazine has continued to push forward, breaking wonderful photographers - most of them women :smile: - while Mert and Marcus et al lost some magic somehow..... Became too self-satisfied "industry" somehow???

Only my response of course. And you know I'm here too for incredible Juergen Teller projects over 50+ pages.... That 'We Love Paris' cover story starring Daria will have me misty eyed FOREVER!

I wonder if when we look back on 30 years of pop, we will look at the current agenda with the same misty eyes?

Never! Not if I can help it, lol.

I definitely think players like Charlotte Wales will still be around, and will have evolved by then too. To be honest the key instigators of this new guard are already adjusting their signature to adapt to what editors feel their readers should have. Zoe Ghertner's current Vogue cover, Cass Bird's edit in V is probably more closer to their I&V/Testino standards, Harley Weir's been doing more glamorous edits for some time now. This capitulation happened much sooner than I imagined.

Only my response of course. And you know I'm here too for incredible Juergen Teller projects over 50+ pages.... That 'We Love Paris' cover story starring Daria will have me misty eyed FOREVER!

Are you actually able to digest those mammoth Juergen shoots though? I find them overwhelming and slightly impenetrable. Call me old fashioned, but I preferred the days when he shot on film and would deliver a more concise and direct story.

@Benn98 For sure the capitulation is on, but 'm not sure that Cass is the saviour. Harley and Zoe reign supreme over any of her recent work in my view.

Are you actually able to digest those mammoth Juergen shoots though? I find them overwhelming and slightly impenetrable. Call me old fashioned, but I preferred the days when he shot on film and would deliver a more concise and direct story.

@Benn98 For sure the capitulation is on, but 'm not sure that Cass is the saviour. Harley and Zoe reign supreme over any of her recent work in my view.

So true!!
Just to make it clear, I don't mind capitulation. Some may consider it as 'selling out', but I think there's some form of brilliance attached to adjusting your style to meet the demands of the client. Magazines are not supposed to be a playground where photographers can shoot what they like anyway. The way Zoe, probably the last of the new guard photographers who I imagined would book a US Vogue cover, balanced her style with what the magazine is about is commendable. She didn't take 120° from her style. And to think that was her first Vogue cover. I'd like to see Peckmezian, Dufort or Mark Borthwick's daughter try.....

So true!!
The way Zoe, probably the last of the new guard photographers who I imagined would book a US Vogue cover, balanced her style with what the magazine is about is commendable. She didn't take 120° from her style. And to think that was her first Vogue cover. I'd like to see Peckmezian, Dufort or Mark Borthwick's daughter try.....

I too very much enjoyed Zoe's cover. There was an elegance that felt right for the market but it also felt like "her" picture. And of a subject matter that could easily have gone so awry. I hope she books more US Vogue covers as this felt very right.

Honestly, yes, I go back to those Juergen Teller projects again and again and again. He was great shooting on film and he is great in digital, in collage, in his home studio, pretty much wherever. I do understand it's not everybody's taste.

Will it date well? Let's see. I believe it will.

I love his campaign work too. For me, his very best editorial work is in POP and Arena Homme +

she will regret marrying that clown

Why are the covers gone from the official Instagram account?

Damn. I wonder if US vogue was supposed to be exclusive in some way? + This messed that up?

she will regret marrying that clown
I think that they deserve each other. She is with him because of fame and she knows very well that he cannot love anyone else but himself. On the other hand, she is good for his career as well, everybody is talking about them and that's what they do.

The covers of Alek and Gisele are stunning. I will buy this issue if I found it here in Brazil

Gisele Bündchen by Harley Weir:

Alek Wek by Talia Chetrit:

Sara Grace Wallerstedt by Sean and Seng:

Wow, I can't believe @lewak looked in to his crystal ball and saw that the the covers of Hailey were indeed just teasers.

It goes without saying, though, that all the new ones are infinitely better though I feel the Gisele one is a tad familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->