Pop Fall/Winter 09.10 : Tavi Williams with Artwork by Damien Hirst

1fbx8o.jpg

Everybody loves Tavi :lol: (no pun intended :ninja: )

it's only a promotional photo though.

from fashionista.com

i can't get rid off the feeling that people are overreacting here. me too have hardly heard of the girl and to be honest have never been interested, but really... POP cover is not US elections. what's wrong with the kid scoring the cover? i pretty much sure it's not about promoting the girl herself (nor celebrating her blogging skills), rather than having a young girl on the cover. at that point i can't find anything wrong about it. as for the exploitation issue... it's okay for 13yo girls to model and score ad campaigns, but it's so awfully wrong for a non-model kid to get a mag cover - so tell me how would that hurt her childhood (some nasty comments apart)?
that said i think the 'kid cover' idea is not that bad and sums up our massive hysteria about youth and pre-puberty.
but this image somehow made me think of Dakota's sister... how old is she? now THAT would be a cover choice...

^ :question:

I quite like the cover actually ... when I saw the name Tavi I did not remember who she was, but then someone reminded me that she was Tavi-the fashion blogger ... they did a good job with her I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its a bit of a shame.:unsure:

for one, its silly that Pop is literally flushing money down the toilet...

if they have a fledgling magazine why not put someone good on the cover?

instead they do something gimicky and put a kid on the cover.

also hirst is wasted here.

he's one of the most "expensive" artists in the worlds...so why not have him do something wow worthy? instead the background of the cover looks like clip art.

oh god i hope tavi doesnt read this thread!!! i dont like her blog either but i think some people are being pretty horrible. i mean...shes only little. :lol:

She's little, her parents should be protecting her. It kinda scares me that they are allowing such a young child into such an adult world. Not that most models are much older than 13 when they start, it just makes me question their motives and whether they are stage parents.

As for the cover itself, I do like it. Again, its a little uncomfortable to see a child being put in this adult situation, but from an aesthetic standpoint its a very well done cover.

my question is if she is on the cover as a celebrity or a model. What I mean is there an article about her in the magazine or is she just in the image. I didn't see her name on the cover. It doesn't seem like they are promoting her as a blogger. Maybe there is something in the contents?

She's little, her parents should be protecting her. It kinda scares me that they are allowing such a young child into such an adult world. Not that most models are much older than 13 when they start, it just makes me question their motives and whether they are stage parents

I don't really think Tavi is being exploited. I think it's a great opportunity to be on the cover of a respectable fashion magazine. I think it would be more horrible if her parents prohibited her from being featured in POP. If I were offered to be featured in POP and missed the opportunity because my parents won't let me, I'd resent them for life. :P

But that's not saying I think she's worthy of the cover. I browsed through her blog and don't think it presents anything new or groundbreaking. It's just a kid who likes to dress up and who writes about it.

um, aren't models themselves 'children' put in adult clothing/situations? i think it's very hypocritical to think that because she's 'little' and gracing a magazine cover she's being exploited or 'she's just a kid!' yet when models,especially the young ones are on magazines it's just fashion. -_-

No way am I impressed with this crap. I personally don't want to read about a 13 year old blogger.
There needs to be some seriously good content in this for me to buy this.
This is a first for me, but I'm actually refusing to buy one up to now.

Awful, this really isn't what I was expecting from Dasha after reading interviews with her and David Girhammer, I was hoping for alot more, but this? no

I don't get why a fashion blogger? I don't know this girls site or what she's famous for...I'm just a little confused as to why her for the cover, especially considering the direction thats been suggested in interviews, plus the fact that the new POP website thepop.com has ALREADY made such a focus and emphasis on fashion blogs, so why again for the magazine?

first the cover is just horrible !
and why Hirst ? I mean this new woman in charge of Pop is known for her love of contemporary art ? non ? ... so why take Hirst ? He's b***s*** since the mid 90s (personal opinion) ...
Hirst doesn't want to do collective exhibition and he's doing s*** on a cover magazine - that is owned by a rich russian girl .... let me think about it one moment !
!! So agree, why Hirst? I personally hate what he's done here...its so boring, why not someone new and unknown who can do smth better w/ passion ? I was expecting so much more from this magazine, but the cover just looks like an old issue of POP! I don't even think the cover itself looks that good . . .

but who exactly is this magazine meant to appeal to when its on the shelves in some store? A girl blogger dressed up and butterfly background? I was hoping for something really different, like maybe just art...hopefully the contents will save this first impression

^ sorry, but i couldn't hold my smile back.
i can't really understand why POP cover seems like the end of the world. nobody has seen content yet, but lots of people have already buried the issue in the grave. what's wrong with it? you may dislike the cover, but why on earth should people think the issue is a mess not seeing a single spread out of it? that's beyond me.
as for Hirst... there is this 'famous name' factor, but somehow i see a certain logic and connection between taking a small kid clad in uber-chic Chanel outfit and putting her over the background of dead butterflies' wings. i think the combo translates this idea of wasted childhood (it's not even about youth anymore) just perfectly. sactrifiction of one's vulnerability in the name of the relentless media exposure and hype. correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it just what mass media (and at that point fashion titles) have been about for, like, few last years? so to me it's quite an accurate social commentary on the world we're living in - something one should expect from POP.
and i've been thinking about it for awhile - does the girl have a PR agent? :smile:

^ Its not end of the world, I said it was a 'first impression' I'm just a little dissapointed thats all, I just don't personally like the covers art direction, but I know the contents still have the chance to be good, I'm not dismissing the issue :smile:

it's kind of messing with my head that she's 12...

i mean nothing wrong with it - it's a nice cover, i checked up her blog for the first time yesterday and its a nice blog, she's got interesting/nice style..

but like 12?! *whoa*. I was um....playing on the swings at 12...I seriously was not considering commes de garcons or evaluating Decarnin's work at Balmain...wow.

crazy world this. I feel ooold...and i'm only 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Furthermore, I agree with others have said: she has much more reason to be on this cover than a generic actress, singer or model.

Wow you're brave to say that here :innocent:

I'm not anti this girl but I'm not interested in seeing her on the cover or reading about her. She looks 8 not 13. Are we sure she is.

Sorry but I don't understand why it's hard for some people to understand why some member don't like this. Fashion mags are aimed at a wide range of people sure and I started reading Vogue when I was about 8 or 9 but I didn't want to see someone my age on the cover. I wanted the Supermodels.

If they wanted to put a fashion blogger on the cover then they should have put Susie. I think people of any age could find her interesting.

POP should have shut down the magazine when Katie left or at least hired an actual editor or someone who has been at another magazine and was looking for that step up the ladder to do the job not a socialite who "designs" faux leather leggings. I really don't think Dasha deserved the job.

Wouldn't be suprised if POP goes the same way that Nylon has.

I don't really think Tavi is being exploited. I think it's a great opportunity to be on the cover of a respectable fashion magazine. I think it would be more horrible if her parents prohibited her from being featured in POP. If I were offered to be featured in POP and missed the opportunity because my parents won't let me, I'd resent them for life. :P

But that's not saying I think she's worthy of the cover. I browsed through her blog and don't think it presents anything new or groundbreaking. It's just a kid who likes to dress up and who writes about it.

Exploitation is not exactly what I am worried about. Yes its a great opportunity, but the fashion world is very adult and kids should be kids. Its cute to see on her blog wearing grown up clothes, but its also worrisome to see kids growing up so fast.

Wow you're brave to say that here :innocent:

I'm not anti this girl but I'm not interested in seeing her on the cover or reading about her. She looks 8 not 13. Are we sure she is.

Sorry but I don't understand why it's hard for some people to understand why some member don't like this. Fashion mags are aimed at a wide range of people sure and I started reading Vogue when I was about 8 or 9 but I didn't want to see someone my age on the cover. I wanted the Supermodels.

If they wanted to put a fashion blogger on the cover then they should have put Susie. I think people of any age could find her interesting.

POP should have shut down the magazine when Katie left or at least hired an actual editor or someone who has been at another magazine and was looking for that step up the ladder to do the job not a socialite who "designs" faux leather leggings. I really don't think Dasha deserved the job.

Wouldn't be suprised if POP goes the same way that Nylon has.

Eh I can see someone being uncomfortable with somebody so young on an adult magazine, but it's not like she's wearing thigh-high boots and cleavage bearing shirts a la Miley on Elle. It's not like she's sexualized or anything.
I'm also waiting to see what the interview is about - I'm willing to bet it will focus on her fashion philosophies, since she obviouslhy has a lot to say on the blog, but I guess we'll have to wait for that.

I will be absolutely shocked if Tavi's interview has anything of substance in it. Pop will want to make sure that Tavi's youth is as obvious as possible. They won't let her sound mature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->