"Popped" Collars

Mr. Fabulous

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a thread on this "trend" but if there is sorry.. :unsure: but who else hates it?

Eveytime I go to the mall and I see it on a manikin I just have to fix it :innocent: , am I the only one who thought a polo shirt made you look a little more professional (when wearing it right), I mean it makes it look so tacky :sick: I thought this was a teenage thing until I saw like 5 middle aged guys wearing it.. Like what's the point of it?

Maybe it's just me but it's just giving another meaning for polo shirts.

ohmigod, i cannot stand this! uggghhh

the only thing worse than seeing a guy with his polo collar turned up, is if its a pink ralph lauren polo, his hair is all spiked up and he is wearing big sunglasses...indoors.

All the guys at my prep school do this and it bugs the hell out of me. They all wear their polo shirts with khakis or those shorts with little thingys embroidered all over it and I'm like ew why do you still let Mommy pick your clothes.

It actually stems from sailing because when you go sailing the wind pops your collar.

I'm against it. It seems to be a symbol of "coolness" if you do it. I think it looks ridiculous.

Im glad alot of you agree with this because everyone else i know thinks its the cool thing to do. I personally think the people who do this look like tools, cause when you see a group of teenagers all with popped collars and gelled hair walking around thinking theyre cool, it looks stupid.

Hmmm, I thought this was over about 15 years ago or so ... I guess it's back. I've been seeing it a bit, I just thought the guys I saw it on were about 15 years behind on their fashion news ... it happens :D

I don't mind it, but the whole idea of a guy wearing Abercrmobie head to toe (including a polo shirt - complete with obvious popped collar) just makes me cringe.

I'm fickle. I don't like it on men, but I do like it on women. Particularly with button downs and blazers as opposed to polos.

to me, popped collars on men it's worse than the thong showing on girls.

it used to be such a huge trend over here (portugal), all the hip hop guys were wearing polos with popped collars + gold earrings & chains + newsboy caps + nike trainers. i swear it's the most horrific thing i've ever seen.

I don't like it either.. my mom said she use to do it like in the 70's-80's. A couple of people I know do it and everytime I see them I go fix their collar:P They get so mad at me:lol: I'm like that's not suppose to be like that. I suppose with the right thing (blazer, etc..) it might look okay but the people I see wearing their collars up are teens who wear abercrombie&fitch and american eagle:rolleyes:

Bonchic said:
it might look okay but the people I see wearing their collars up are teens who wear abercrombie&fitch and american eagle:rolleyes:

Its especially bad when the polos aren't even pique material, but just like plain cotton, like they'd use for tee shirts. It seems like that;s what most of the American Eagle polos are like.

everytime i see someone with a popped collar i get the urge to punch them in the face...:ninja:

yeah, a lot of people do it at my school, and it so annoys me because it's not cool, i tell you!!
Oh well, popped collars on kids is just a sad trying-to-fit-in phase they're going through, but as someone said they saw it on middle aged men - ew!! someone needs to grow up.

the only thing uglier than an upturned collar is when its layered in pink and green

Like all trends it really depends on how it is worn and who is wearing it. When it looks contrived, and when the person wearing it obviously is only popping their collar because they think its cool, then it is horrid looking. However, I have seen some people pull it off quite nicely.

i do it myself, depending on the material the shirt is made of. i have 2 little boys' polos from thrift shops, and they look great with popped collars.

but i do agree on the A&F guys, as i tend to hate any mass trend like that. people who know nothing about fashion, trying to be fashionable : /

TOTALLY tacky.... There's no RIGHT or WRONG way too do it...... it's always WRONG, ugly and tacky... :sick:

what do you guys mean exactly by "popped"? like completely upturned? here a lot of people wear theirs not completely folded over in the back like in pucci_mama's avatar. mostly the "vuitton" women do this with their nice tailored jackets, and guys do it with their jean jackets... i dont think it looks *bad*, per se, but i get a feeling of PRETENTIOUSNESS when i see it.

:yuk::yuk::yuk:

I was at Trader Joes today and I saw a lady with a pink popped collar & green capris. The worst thing is, she couldn't have been younger than 65 YEARS OLD. Her capris were up to her boobs & she had one of those preppy ribbon belts with a flamingo on it. I almost died laughing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->