Prada Uomo F/W 2004

The complete collection: (Starts from set below this page)
pra008.jpg
pra009.jpg

pra010.jpg
pra011.jpg

seeing the collection as a whole, i must say this is the first disappointing season for prada menswear in a very long time. i never expect splash from miuccia and her design team, but there is a quiet quirkiness about here clothes that always make them must have items. i am thinking about the ostrich belts, the half-button up formal shirt, the white leather sneaker, the co-ordinated scarf and hat. all small quiet design moves that were gold to those of us who love the prada aesthetic. these clothes look like a prada joke. the best pieces are just the leftovers from spring (which i can't say i didn't love)... i feel like this is spring of 2002 when all designers put on safe collections because of the dip in retail sales after 9/11...what is really going on?

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Jan 12th, 2004 - 7:09 pm
although its very Walter Van Beriendonck :rolleyes:
I was thinking that too.

I don't know what to think about this collection. Its something different for the Prada man. She seems to have taken kindly to the childlike sense that seems to be hot right now. Maybe she wants to boost her sales up and try and lure the Bernhard W. or Raf Simons customer? I do think that the styling is awful. Somehow,those combinations don't feel right to me. Its like looking at an overly simplistic,sophisticated Prada guy trying too hard at being edgy or quirky.

Originally posted by Scott@Jan 13th, 2004 - 11:12 am
Maybe she wants to boost her sales up and try and lure the Bernhard W. or Raf Simons customer?
I was thinking this, too. Especially with the robot cartoon, which is very Bernhard, IMO.

Is a collection like this really the best way to ensure sales? I thought the best thing to do in an unfavorable economic climate was to produce luxurious, upbeat, colorful clothing and not drab basics? Most people I know buy Prada (and most luxury labels) because it truly is something special. But so much of this looks like it could come from Banana Republic. Not a good move.

lol the cartoon style robot is kind of cute :blush:
I don't really care for most of it

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Jan 13th, 2004 - 9:35 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Jan 13th, 2004 - 9:35 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Jan 13th, 2004 - 11:12 am
Maybe she wants to boost her sales up and try and lure the Bernhard W. or Raf Simons customer?
I was thinking this, too. Especially with the robot cartoon, which is very Bernhard, IMO.

Is a collection like this really the best way to ensure sales? I thought the best thing to do in an unfavorable economic climate was to produce luxurious, upbeat, colorful clothing and not drab basics? Most people I know buy Prada (and most luxury labels) because it truly is something special. But so much of this looks like it could come from Banana Republic. Not a good move. [/b][/quote]
I think what's happening is that she's probably reaching out to certain targeted types of people. She's got two of the biggest happenings going on with men right now-quirkiness(like with B.W.) and complete and utter simplicity. Unfortunately,it all comes out looking rather like a complete act of desperation for sales.

i find Prada a trend setting company, their collections have been there leading the mass market for ages.
its not as if i'm a prada client or admirer, but i can see their flexibility and their perfect timing, clever aristic direction and very good instinct.
prada is mainly responsible for all the recent nostalgia trip.. while sending on a retro trip, prada does exactly what is not supposed to do, changing direction presenting a very contemporary 'street' collection, in the mood of today's popular styles. it is simple, but i can see those pieces flying out the stores, there is something 'classic' there, what counts as good investment pieces :flower:

Suzzy Menkes said that the Milan FW 04 is about (among other things) tailoring. A.McQueen makes haute couture. And Prada - discreet, modern tailoring. Here in Prada I see also "fun" with the famous now "hand made" robot, as well as keyrings and dyed sweater's hem. This is like Prada enjoyed playing with her own style. Did she do it for love - or for money:-) Does it more (in Prada case) more than does it sell? I don't know (happy not being a fashion buyer here:-).

But I think that luxury is in cut, fabrics and details. The modern luxury is a discreet, get a closer look thing. And here Prada has managed to make a "seriously tailored" collection but with a flash of fun, and it all comes so easy.

How does it compare to previous collections? Having had a quick look at previous ones, I must admit that this is my fav. While it does not show any must have luxurious leather item, it's a more total look collection, but still light, fresh and fun.

Seeing the whole collection , I actually liek alot of teh pieces individualy, btu he styleing alls eems wroung.

liek Scott* said desperately seekings ales, but I dount knwo how well its going to sell.

I like anything robots. :heart: (Obviously, look at my signature. :wink: )

on the whole it looks wrong.. very cold, clinical, contrived (alliteration!heh) and reminds me of bad avant garde stuff.. makes me depressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"