Pregnancy Beauty

lilliputty

Reaction score
So I've just discovered I'm pregnant, which is the best news I could have ever had!

It's very early days though (am only 5.5 weeks pregnant) but I still wanted to start out as I mean to go on. And take good care of myself as well as the little bean that's growing inside me.

Was wondering what the best tips are for beauty during pregnancy - what's best for the skin, what the best food tips are and how people have kept in shape during this magical time!

Please share your yummy mummy secrets with me! :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use silica tablettes (the kind that improves the condition of your skin/hair/nail ) you need ask your doctor if it is okay to continue using that.. my doctor advice me quiet using them.

The hormonal changes in your body might give you acne (at 5,5 weeks the hormons probably haven't manifested themselves strongly on your skin yet) - atleast that is what happend in the first half of my second pregnancy - I went more frequently to my beautician..and that has really been helpful.

We have a thread on stretch marks (prevention etc) which you might be interested in reading. (also there is a thread on pregnancy in general).

Good Luck with your pregnancy lilliputty :flower:

Don't use hairspray, don't use cosmetics with harmful chemicals (try Dr. Hauschka), stay away from skin- and hair care with harmful chemicals. Just stay as far away from parabens and such as you possibly can.

Congratulations!

I don't have children myself, but I've picked up some beauty tips from other mothers and magazines. Like Hanne and Ida said, several popular skin/hair supplements, such as flaxseed tablets, are not advisable during pregnancy. Also, many cosmetic ingredients that are perfectly fine under usual circumstances should be avoided. An example is salycilic acid, common in anti-acne and exfoliating products. These ingredients may be natural or synthetic; after all, flaxseed oil is natural.

Some women only color their hair with vegetable dyes and stop polishing their nails during pregnancy, but there are divided opinions on whether these steps are necessary. Your doctor's input on such matters is extremely important. Some also cut their hair short a few months into pregnancy, because it may start to thin. One woman told me she regretted it, because short hair tends to be more time-consuming to style, and after the baby is born, your spare time will be precious.

I've also heard that some women get completely nauseous from perfume. But my cousin's wife was the opposite; normally she never wears perfume, but her sense of smell was so intense during pregnancy that she would dab concentrated perfume on hankerchiefs, to block out all the other unpleasant smells!

Now is the time to pamper yourself, more than any other time. Massages to soothe the strain of the added weight, professional footcare for swollen feet, etc.

Best wishes.

^ There are definitely carefree short haircuts ... what I usually see is women with lush hair during the pregnancy, and then the stress of the delivery (and perhaps hormones too) causes much of the hair to go into the resting phase and then the baby pulls it out by the handful. Of course, this could never happen if the hair was rooted as usual. That might be the time to change the hairstyle ...

I recently started using cosmeticsdatabase.com, which rates the toxicity of many common cosmetic products--hair, face, nail, etc. I was quite surprised to find that the face wash I've been using got the top toxic rating (10 of 10), while many nail polishes are less toxic. You definitely want to avoid toluene (in nail polish, but many brands like MAC have eliminated it) which causes birth defects, and I would think also phlalates (sp?), a plasticizer that's common in perfume and many other products. It's in Poison (my own favorite) and the vast majority of commercial scents. It doesn't even need to be listed separately, apparently ... it could be part of 'fragrance.' So if you feel like wearing scent, it would be a good time to find a natural one :flower:

Oh, and I'm not a mother either :wink: Best of luck with your pregnancy :flower:

In Denmark we're seeing a lot of boys being born with damaged reproductive organs caused by phlatates and parabens and all the toxic chemicals we put in our veggies. I wouldn't know what to do if I got pregnant, you can't avoid everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->