Pringle of Scotland Pre-Fall 2012

pellucid

Reaction score
For pre-fall, Pringle of Scotland’s design director, Alistair Carr, riffed on motifs from the house’s history while still giving the looks a modern twist. His take on the famed twinset, for instance, was a wine-colored cardigan that fastens diagonally across the body, with diamanté buttons designed to resemble one Carr discovered in Pringle’s archives. Elsewhere, the firm’s Fair Isle knit technique was used to create graphic patterns on a chunky wool sweater. Pops of color came on green-and-orange-graffiti-printed pants and dresses, the image taken from photos Carr snapped of the street art during a visit to Paris. For men, there were chunky knits, silk polo shirts and coats in herringbone wool.

wwd

Amazing. Every look is perfection from head to toe. I loved what Clare did for Pringle but this is even better. Love it :heart: Thanks for posting!

Is Alistair Carr used to doing menswear? This is very menswear orientated and when it comes to the actual womenswear it's shapeless, disguised with a belt.
Maybe this is a trend coming through? Umit Benan's first collection for Trussardi was even more menswear-based.
Seeing as this is quite masculine it's surprising that the fabric choice and the construction of some of the trousers is very bad.

Is Alistair Carr used to doing menswear? This is very menswear orientated and when it comes to the actual womenswear it's shapeless, disguised with a belt.
Maybe this is a trend coming through? Umit Benan's first collection for Trussardi was even more menswear-based.
Seeing as this is quite masculine it's surprising that the fabric choice and the construction of some of the trousers is very bad.

he used to be head womenswear designer at balenciaga, so no :flower:

something is off about this, it looks like balenciaga's nerdy awkward sister

You can actually feel the balenciaga touch here. I dont know why but you can totally think of which collection he did for Balenciaga. It has the similar style. But I love it !

For Alistair Carr's third collection at Pringle, the Balenciaga-trained designer took things literally: "I looked at the classic knit pieces in the archives and wanted to twist things up a bit—so I did: I just twisted it." Twisted collar and seam details pepper the collection alongside other modern interpretations of the heritage company's archives. Instead of a twinset, Carr gives us the "triple set": a coat, sweater, and trousers, the latter two whipped up from the same butter-soft cashmere knit. There was a refit of the iconic Pringle argyle pattern, too, with each argyle amplified and sewn on a sweater in acid-colored crystals, throwing off a 3-D effect. And layering was a theme that extended even down to the shoes on which he collaborated with Chrissie Morris—leather panels you can pull off if the mood strikes.

If Carr, who had never worked with knits before moving to Pringle, was nervous about taking over the reins of one of the world's most iconic knitwear houses, it doesn't show: There was confidence to spare in a graffiti-print dress and jacket inspired by an abandoned van, and dresses and sweaters embossed with neon snowflakes. For Pringle purists not ready to go the way of graffiti and neon, don't fret. An astonishing cashmere coat, fur and cashmere scarves, and multi-ply chunky jumpers show that Carr is very much in sync with Pringle's heritage.

-style

So good! Simply phenomenal.

I do agree that it resembles Balenciaga, but hey, other labels seem to be doing Balenciaga better than Balenciaga itself for the past few seasons. This collection is the birth child of Philo and Ghesquiere.

Yeah, the silhouettes are definitely very balenciaga.. But I still like it, the styling is really strong.. Except for the looks with fur- I think its an unnecessary addition.

That's funny that someone mentioned it because I was about to say "That Pringle of Scotland girl could be the Balenciaga woman's sister!" :lol: I really love it overall. It's modern and wearable. Every piece could be worn in multiple ways. Moreover, it has a sort of freshness that Balenciaga has been lacking lately.

I could see more and more people being attracted to that brand thanks to Carr's designs.

by Sarah Mower​

The winter may have only started biting now, resort collections are already in the shops, and spring has yet to come, but for designers, it’s already next fall. Or almost. From today until January, dozens of houses, labels, and individuals will be laying out their warm-up ideas for fall 2012. First up for inspection in London’s growing “pre-fall” scene is Pringle of Scotland, where Alistair Carr—who’s British with a background at Balenciaga—is about to enter his sophomore year at the label.

Partly, what he’s doing is taking the high road back to Pringle’s spiritual home as a luxury knitwear company, but he’s adding innovations on the way. “I’ve been looking at the twinsets in the archive up in Scotland,” he said. “But I’m using it more in the sense of matching pieces than cardigan and sweater sets.” He’s done that with double-layered knit shift dresses punctuated with sheer panels, as well as “matched” suits (jackets with skirts or skinny pants) made in geometric jacquard knit. The surface-grid pattern comes from “blown-up, digitized photos of the Fair Isles,” though there’s nothing literal about the visual results. There are one or two twinsets in the collection, but Carr has given them a twist—literally—with asymmetric cuts and modernized versions of the diamanté buttons he discovered on a fifties cardigan.

-vogue​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodopolfo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->