Proactiv

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by amy1022, Jan 2, 2004.

1. desertrose05

desertrose05 New Member

Does Proactiv work on blackheads? I have about a zillion of them on my nose and they won't go away no matter what I use. The rest of my face is pretty clear, except a bit oily. If Proactiv doesn't work on blackheads, would Accutane or birth control? My brother took Accutune a few years ago and still has lots of acne :ninja:

2. sugarjunkie

sugarjunkie New Member

I had some very mild, mild acne when I decided to go on Proactiv. I just wanted something that would make my face, while mostly clear, completely blemish-free. Boy, BIG MISTAKE. Proactiv made me break out worse than I have in my entire life. I have before, during, and after pictures if anybody wants to see them. I was on it for two months and my skin kept getting worse and worse. I finally went off it and it immediately improved 200%. It wasn't great, but getting better. Then I went on the pill, and holy moly, my skin cleared up completely. I still have some scars from my battle with Proactiv but there are no new blemishes, and all the stubborn little whiteheads I had on my forehead have completely disappeared.

3. thedoll

thedoll New Member

I have one question...for those of you that proactiv havn't worked for, have you guys been eating alot of sugar, chips and stuff like that?
    b/c that might be the problem why it's not working (?)

4. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

sugars.. refined carbohydrates... I told my sister about that (she's a pharmacist).. and I was telling her about all this stuff I was reading and how I was cutting down on unrefined carbs and sugar and she told me it was a load of bull...

well here's more info for anyone interested.

http://www.thiele.fptoday.com/ta/acnehome.htm

5. justinleaddict

justinleaddict Push it to pop it!

My dermatologist told me that proactive has only 1 real active acne fighter- benzoyl peroxide I think he said. Well, you can get that in one tube for a lot cheaper over the counter i think. So- i suppose it probably works, but if u are desperate, go to a dermatologist.:D

JUSTIN*

6. CelineChic

CelineChic New Member

There was a congressional hearing about accutane and its potential dangers. Turns out that the reported cases of depression with users were brought on by excessive alcohol consumption and accutane. Hoffman-LaRoche the company that makes accutane was also brought to court but the families had no case because the teens who had killed themselves due to the depression where under the influsnce of alcohol.

The accutane package now clearly states that you should not consume alcohol when using the drug.

If you want to be safe just don't drink any alcohol when taking accutane.

7. vix123

vix123 New Member

i just recently ordered Proactiv for the first time and i've been on it for about 4 days,morning and night. i've noticed that my skin is getting slightly better, my skin isn't feeling 'grainy' as much, the pimples are subsiding...but this morning i saw on the jawline i was getting little spots (like my pores are swollen a little) and they itch...do u think i'm getting an allergic reaction? coz its def. not pimples....

8. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

You might be using too much product.

9. fouroclock

fouroclock New Member

A Canadian show (Street Cents) did a test where five or something kids tried Proactiv, and it only worked for one of them.

I use Eucalyptus Oil for my zits, but putting too much might really hurt the eyes.

10. masquerade

masquerade God Save McQueen

i recently got proactiv and so far im loving it.

i have had really bad acne which the only thing that has been able to treat it in the past was expensive chemical peels. i have tried everything, including murad which did nothing.

everyone i know who has great skin uses proactiv, so i thought id try it and so far i love it. im not cured yet, but its working pretty well.

it really doesnt burn my skin (murad hurt like a b*tch and did nothing) and benzoyl peroxide is really the only stuff that is strong enough for my skin. salicytic acid is a joke.

11. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

proactiv was a disaster for me....
    made me breakout in places i wasnt normally...
    i'd stop using it and everything would calm down...
    then try again and it would flare up...

so its sitting at the back of my medicine cabinet now...
    that was a big no-no...!

but i hope you have better results...
    good luck!..
    :flower:...

12. Aziandoll

Aziandoll New Member

I have been using Proactiv for 4 years now, and it's better than anything I have ever tried. My skin is very clear, and I don't have to wear foundation anymore. It feels good not to wear any foundation or powder at all.

The only thing is that intead of using Proactive twice a day, I only use it at night, and just splash water on my face in the morning. I'm 31, and it has definitely cleared my skin up. I wish I had this when I was a teenager!

:D

13. Nader

Nader Active Member

Proactiv is ok, but i found this stuff on ebay (i know, its on ebay.. blah blah) http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29618&item=5598587854 by Carley's Clear and Smooth and it worked so much better for me. And the soap they give you with it is AMAZING. I'm actually going to order more of the soap because I fell in love with it. I can vouch or this stuff being the real thing. Anyone else use Carley's stuff?

14. Mk's Beauty Shop

Mk's Beauty Shop New Member

i got proactiv a while ago and it didnt help me - it just dried out my skin but apparently it only works on a certain type of acne anyway.... its hard on sensitive skin

15. thedoll

thedoll New Member

So you're saying that if you use Proactiv, you shouldn't drink alcohol? :shock:

16. Nader

Nader Active Member

no hun she's saying if you're taking accutane, which are pills your doctor prescribes you, that you shouldn't drink alcohol.

thankfully you're still allowed to get tanked if you're on proactiv :wink:

17. DK_Wilde

DK_Wilde New Member

I used Proactive for two years. In the beginning it worked, but I still had breakouts and it got worse. I realized later that I'm sensitive to glycolic acid (main ingredient) so it just made my acne worse. My advice would be to see a good dermatologist.

18. thedoll

thedoll New Member

haha okey..thanks! don't really know what's in the Proactiv stuff!^_^

19. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Member

Proactive

Do P Diddy and Jessica Sipmpson and the other famous people get paid to do the infomercials? I thought they said that they were not but does anybody know. the last time I saw Jessica Simpson on I had a feeling that they were all paid otherwise why would they do it.

20. angela xx

angela xx New Member

i highly doubt they would do it without any pay