Proactiv

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by amy1022, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Heroin_Chic

Heroin_Chic New Member

SAME HERE! Short improvement after 2 weeks and then the Acne came back as bad as before :cry:

The 3 month with Proactive were a total waste of time & money (180 Euro!)!

2. Mk's Beauty Shop

Mk's Beauty Shop New Member

yeah when i used it i found i could only use it once every 2nd day or my skin just went crazy so i figured it wasnt worth it
    - my skin has improved by me washing it less i only wash it once a day now - if i do it anymore than my skin gets drym produces more oil and i break out more

3. farico

farico New Member

I used Pro-active for a year or so...it was amazing! My skin was flawless for that time! No, pimples anymore and my scars had visibly dissapeared! But then after that period of time it just gradually stopped working and my acne came back and even worse than before now have terrible scarring in my face from this acne that has rearrived after and i don't know what triggered it? Maybe my skin just grew use to the proactive and started working around it? But anyways to sum it up for the time it worked for me it was amazing! just one thing...your skind grows dependant on it so stopping is hard as your skin uses it as a survival aid while on it! so yeah it grows attached...now i have stopped and only use it when i feel like it which is very rarely but never see much of a result anymore. Im on Doxycycline now and just using a neutrogena cleanser and benzoyle peroxide from the shelf (which in fact is pro-actives active ingredient and it is way overpriced...you can get similar products at your pharmacist). Hope that was some help.
    :flower:

4. heaven

heaven New Member

^exactly, i feel that your skin grows immune to it, but it depends on it, so if you stop using it, your skin goes crazy, and i could only use it every other night, it was so irritating, and here they charge $90....funny, i'm now using st. ives cleanser for blemish prone skin with salicylic acid, and my face is wonderful.. for $6.00.

5. baBidoLL

baBidoLL New Member

sooooooo overrated!

6. angeldreamz

angeldreamz New Member

Proactiv is really a waste of money!!!! I was on it a couple of months ago, and just like all of you have stated, my acne got a little better in the beginning,and alot worse as time passed! I really had high hopes for proactiv, since its always being advertised, and I guess the hype got to me. Not only did i waste time and hope, i wasted so much money too because instead of sending me one supply each month, they send me two.:unsure:

7. Aziandoll

Aziandoll New Member

I think you can adjust how often it is sent to you. In fact, I believe that online, you can even cancel your shipments of Proactiv.

I'm sorry it's not working for you. Medications work different on everyone. I personally only use the cleanser everyday once a day, and then I use the renewing lotion only when I have to because it can dry me out. I have been using it for 4 years now, and I swear by it. I don't even have to wear as much makeup on my face. In fact, I could leave the house without foundation if I wanted to. Anyhow, there are other medications, too. Murad has worked wonders for people I know. Either way, it does take time for it to work. Good luck!

#87 Aziandoll, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited by moderator girliegirl: Jan 18, 2006
  8. shyladieluv

shyladieluv New Member

I've used proactiv for a couple of weeks now. I havent had any new breakouts but my face isnt clearing up from the previous breakouts.

How long does it take for it to start to work?

Also it dries out my skin A LOT, the face lotion doesnt work at all :yuk:

9. whrlwnd

whrlwnd New Member

I've tried all sorts of stuff, like Proactiv, tetracyline antibiotics, benzaclin, retin-a, clindamycin, everything... and nothing worked long term (yeah, maybe it helped for 1-2 weeks but...) if anything, the retin-a and glycolic acid make my whole face red, flaky, and soooo irritated. even water hurt!

but then i got the Pill, and all my pimples have completely gone away. its definitely an alternative for some girls who dont want to wreak havoc on their skin, playing musical chairs with products.

--> oh and I used Yasmin, which is a newer pill and has a hormone that acts as a diuretic (so no water weight gain)!

10. eunhe

eunhe New Member

oops. just ordered proactiv before reading all these comments. i used it once YEARS before and it didn't work - but i decided to give it another shot after seeing the billionth infomercial on it. i'm such a sucker

11. whiteshells

whiteshells New Member

When I first started using Proactiv I virtually stopped breaking out. When I did, they were just tiny little white heads, which really didn't bother me. It's sick, but, I kinda thought they were cute. haha Easy to get rid of, anyway. It took about a week or two for my previous pimples to go away. Then I was pretty clear and happy with it.

Then I got lazy and didn't use it twice a day and I started breaking out again. I stopped using it for a long while because frankly I didn't really care. But lately I've been breaking out a lot. :( So I decided to start using it again a couple weeks ago. I don't know what the deal is, but it didn't stop my break-outs until these past couple of days. My theory is that if you're stressed or something, the product isn't just gonna stop everything.

About irritation, at first the toner stung and made me feel dry. But putting on the lotion felt like a moisturizer so it didn't bother me much. Now I'm totally not irritated by any of it. I know that my brother wouldn't use it though, because it gave him a rash or something.

What had been bothing me for a while though is how the cleanser just doesn't feel like it cleans you very deeply. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the fact that it is gentle is best of all. It has very gentle exfoliating beads, which I think is good. It just gently exfoliates you day-by-day, so you don't have to do it harshly once a week with some other product.

It may not be the greatest thing for everyone, but it's worked the best for me out of anything else I've used. I've had acne since I was like 10 or 11. The biggest problem I had at first was making it a habit. I wasn't used to doing the whole thing twice a day, but now I wouldn't live without it.

12. laRenta__x0

laRenta__x0 Member

I stopped using Proactiv about 6 months ago and had been using it up to then for about 1-2 years. It worked wonders at first but every so often I would break out really bad. At one point the product stopped working entirely and my skin just got worse.

13. Bonchic

Bonchic New Member

so I think the verdict on Proactiv is that for some it works great all the time but most the time it works for a period of time and then stops workig.

14. nextnewface

nextnewface New Member

^ yep, that's what I think too. Worked for a period of time for me, and then I turned to other products and got on the pill so I don't use it anymore :flower:

15. Tatika

Tatika Member

:angry: Damn proactive!!!:angry: it did nothing for me, except dry my skin, make my acne worse, and make my red marks more visible:angry: :angry: :angry:
    but I :heart: :heart: :heart: this product on www.skintactix.com
    its the best stuff in the world, and know cuz i had :smile:cry: just remembering) bad cystic acne!!
    for those of us plagued by acne that have found no help, check it out

16. Tatika

Tatika Member

oh, and im so not like a spokesperson for them or anything, i know i sound like it tho, lol

17. vintageprincess

vintageprincess New Member

proactive is AWESOME! i use it and it really does work..hah like Jessica Simpson says: What do you have to lose besides blemishes? hahah

18. fashionista16

fashionista16 New Member

To shyladieluv i have been using proactiv for 3 months now and in the beginning it made my skin realy dry too, abnormaly dry since my skin is naturally oily, but eventually my skin got used to it and now its fine, some spots still get a little dry, but i just out vaseline in them. So dont worry the dryness is normal. :smile:

19. fashionista16

fashionista16 New Member

hey i have a question for you guys who have used it... did it clear up your scars at all? if it did how long did it take? because i have quite a few since ive had acne since i was 12 so its been a while...

20. huda914

huda914 New Member

I love PROACTIVE i have been using it for 5 years now! if i dont use it for 3 days i have a bad breakout. IT WORKS GUYS!!!! but if you are sensitive to benz peroxide its no good for you : (