Proactiv

Hmmm, I was just wondering, those of you who use Proactiv, do you use it everyday? I was just curious because I have mild acne and whiteheads around my nose, chin, forehead, and have redness in my upper lip area. I'm 30, and I haven't had this much acne since I was a teenager! I am worried because I was wondering how it would react with my cosmetics and anti-aging nightcreams...

Do you have to completely switch over to this system and use it everyday? And, do you have to use a separate makeup remover before using the cleanser?

I personally love Proactiv. I have never been to pimply just bumps and the occasional whitehead on my forehead. The first day I used it at night, went to bed and when I woke up I noticed my skin was a lot clearer. The whole first week it cleared up most of my skin, then since then it's been more slow going. I have been using it for about a month, and I had only 1 reaction to it, about 2 weeks ago. I used it on a more sensitive spot on my cheeks, although I did not need it there, but my cheeks got a little redder and stung a tad, then went away.
I'd advise anyone with mild acne to use it, but if you have a lot of acne definatly find something stronger.

I think they tell you that you need the whole system so they can sell you more products. If you don't have acne on the cheeks or around the eye area you can keep using the anti aging creams in those areas while using pro-active on the greasier parts.

I've never used pro-active. I have a hard time believing that it is any better than most of the drugstore acne products. A combination of clean and clear cream cleanser and the pill have worked for me. :woot:

Originally posted by Shahna@Jan 18th, 2004 - 5:43 pm
I think they tell you that you need the whole system so they can sell you more products. If you don't have acne on the cheeks or around the eye area you can keep using the anti aging creams in those areas while using pro-active on the greasier parts.

I've never used pro-active. I have a hard time believing that it is any better than most of the drugstore acne products. A combination of clean and clear cream cleanser and the pill have worked for me. :woot:
That's a good idea, about using the proactiv in certain areas of the face. I think I'll try that first. You know, when I was on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for a year, it was great, my skin was perfect, but I gained 15 pounds! I am now on Yasmin 28, and have lost some weight, but have found that my skin is pimply again! Must be the lower dosage pill!. Even my hubby noticed the acne lately. Anyhow, I do have mild pimples, so I am going to try it on the acne-prone areas. Thanks!

I am trying Proactiv right now. I've had it for about a month and a half also. It doesn't work for me. I get black heads in my cheeks and white heads on my forehead. All of my zits leave scars that naturally take a long time to go away, so if I can just find something that stops the zits from coming i can wait on the scars to dissappear, but the zits keep comin'. Although it's great for smoother skin and smaller pores, the zits come and go all in the same day, but it's an every day thing. I just want them to stop coming!

how long dos it take to work, becuas I have been useing it for a few days and nothing major has happend.

I tried proactive , but it'nt work for me. But does any one know if acne complex works?

I know three people who have used accutane and it honestly did WONDERS for their skin.. they are all now complelty clear. sure they had dry skin and blood tests for a few months, but now they have clear skin FOREVER!!!
luckily my skin isnt that bad at all, so i won't bother, but i really suggest it on behalf of them!

Originally posted by kate@Jan 14th, 2004 - 2:21 pm
Proactiv works great. It dries your skin up a little at first, but after that is clears your face up and keeps it clear. :flower:
mhmm

I heard about pro active in this forum but I have no idea what is that, is it good?

ZITS if you will

sorry i'm really energetic right now

It's a skin care system that is suppose to clear up most problem skin. It has renewing cleanser, refreshing tone and repairing lotion plus a lot of other products. Many people swear by it and there is a TV infomercial where a lot of famous people give testimony for it. Some people say it is really harsh for your skin. Ali used it for awhile but has switched.

By the way I saw your pictures on the model thread,they're beautiful. :flower:

Originally posted by model_mom@Apr 29th, 2004 - 7:28 pm
It's a skin care system that is suppose to clear up most problem skin. It has renewing cleanser, refreshing tone and repairing lotion plus a lot of other products. Many people swear by it and there is a TV infomercial where a lot of famous people give testimony for it. Some people say it is really harsh for your skin. Ali used it for awhile but has switched.
What did Ali switch to? I've been using it for a few years and it was great but it just started to really irritate my skin... :( any suggestions?

I used it for about 4 months and it did nothing. I'm a big believer in bensoil peroxide and this is a great website w/ more info on it.
Acne

My skin totally cleared up when I was on Accutane. It was really dry, but nothing that a heavy-duty moisturizer couldn't handle. I think I used Philosophy Hope in a Jar for sensitive/dry skin and it was fine. And you need a good chapstick too. The dryness was actually a relief from the oiliness I was used to. But I've been off Accutane for a little less than a year now, and the zits are all back!!! BUT I suspect that may have to do with my irregular doses, due to my forgetfulness. I'd skip pills here and there and I think that's why it wasn't effective. I'm such a moron sometimes.

As for the side effects I think it's a load of crap that it causes depression. People with acne are depressed anyway because they have acne! Hahahaha. I don't know, that's just my opinion though. It is bad for your liver and I got some mild headaches, but that's about it. Sometimes I think these side effects are all in my mind.

I use the Proactiv repairing lotion now and I like it, but doesn't take care of ALL my zits. It's so freaking expensive too. God I hate acne so much, I'm almost done with my adolescent years when is it gonna end?!?!?!?!

I'm on Accutane for the second time- i first took it when i was a junior in high school (6 years ago). someone on here said they had friends who were on it for four years, which is a load of crap-- you take accutane in 3-6 month cycles, then you stop.

anyway, it DOES have some icky side effects. my face is all dry and i have to apply lip balm every 20 minutes because my lips are starting to dry out like crazy. after i was on it the last time, i went on anti-depressants. and now, i've only been on it about two weeks, but i've suddenly got all these weird moods-- yesterday i was talking to my mom and just started crying- i said, "nothing's wrong.. i think it's my medicine <sob, sob>"

but already my skin is starting to clear up! i had clogged pores all over my forehead and after a horrible day of being dry and peely yesterday, i'm already clearer!

you SHOULD NOT get pregnant on accutane, no no no no no, but there are a bunch of other drugs you should take while pregnant either. you have monthly blood tests NOT to check for weird things happening, but to make sure your HDL and cholesterol is staying low. Accutane is pretty much a really high dose of Vitamin A stuff, so it's hard on your liver. but that's why you get the blood tests-- to make sure it's not doing any damage.

dry skin, chapped lips, sun sensitivity, no drinking/unprotected sex, possible depression for six months. if you ask me, having perfect skin is totally worth the six months of pain in the ***.

PLUS you dont get the greasies! i can go a few days without shampooing my hair and it looks great! i dont get shiny!

accutane isn't for everyone, but it's for people who have tried other things that haven't worked. try retin-A. try benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. as my dermatologist said, "accutane is pretty much a cure for acne." you might have to use it two or three times if your skin comes back, but it will never be as bad as it was when you started.

having clear skin isn't something you think about unless you don't have it-- then it's ALL you think about.

the end :smile:

I'm on Accutane for the second time- i first took it when i was a junior in high school (6 years ago). someone on here said they had friends who were on it for four years, which is a load of crap-- you take accutane in 3-6 month cycles, then you stop.

I only started getting acne when I was almost out of high-school and my derm put me on Accutane. When she told me I had cystic acne, I was surprised because I would only get a big zit every once in a while. My derm was one of the developers of the drug and I think she was putting almost everyone who went to her with any kind of acne problems on it to use in her trial group. It did clear up my acne, but the side-effects were not worth it for how mild my acne was in the first place. My lips were peeling off because they were so dry(I was putting steroid cream on them :wacko: ) and the rest of my face was crazily dry, too. I was spending so much time exfoliating and moisturizing and going to get blood/pregnancy tests and to the derm every month. I had to sign a waiver that I would be on birthcontrol, too. Those little "no pregnancy" drawings were pretty creepy AND mine had pictures of deformed fetuses drawn on the box :blink: .

So I went off of it after a few months and my skin was clear for awhile, but its not as great as I'd like it anymore. I just ordered it some Proactive, I guess I give it a try.

I would say that Accutane should only be considered in very severe cases. I owuldn't go on it again. Depression was not one of the known side-effects when I was on it, so I know if it affected me in that way or not. It is very time-consuming and has some pretty uncomfortable"side-effects"- it's far from an acne miracle and I'd suggest trying other things first, especially if your acne is not severe. :flower:

Originally posted by MayaPapaya9@Aug 9 2004, 01:13 AM

As for the side effects I think it's a load of crap that it causes depression. People with acne are depressed anyway because they have acne! Hahahaha. I don't know, that's just my opinion though. It is bad for your liver and I got some mild headaches, but that's about it. Sometimes I think these side effects are all in my mind.

[snapback]325701[/snapback]​

That is such a horrible thing to say.

I went on on Accutane, and so did my best friend ( not at the same time). We both became depressed, and had to get off the meds. The horrible mood swings just were not worth it. Comprising your mental and emotional help for physical beauty is just not worth it. I'm not saying EVERYONE is going to get bad side affects, but you should really take it seriously, and deeply think your decision for going on that kind of med. It should really be used as a last resort.

Going on birth control really helped clear up my skin, along with a regular skin cleansing routine, drinking lots of water, and not wearing tons of foundation everyday. Trying to cover up the acne with make up often backfires, and makes you breakout even more, especially if you forget to wash your face before bed.

Wether or not Jessica Simpson takes Accutane, I don't know. But I do know she uses Proactive. She endorses their product. Their's like a mini biography thing on the Proactive webpage. On her Newlyweds show, she almost never wears make up and her skin is still really clear and pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->