Purple Fashion

thanks cerfas for this thread. unfortunately i have never seen an actual issue of Purple, but i like what they have on their website.. I also really like your reasoning for why you like it, and what you spoke about pretension. i don't even know what that means! i think i agree w/ your definition of it...is it the conscious effort to be 'different'? i agree w/ faust pretension isn't all about being too serious...but i think pretension isn't about taking something too seriously and going off on some rabid tangent..if that were the case what would fine art be?? i think if the motivation is truely about trying to connect and communicate it can't be pretentious..but it can still be unclear and uneffective..

metal-on-metal said:
I think that's a really great way to sum up Purple and a lot of the magazines like it.

I've also seen it at Universal News at Broadway and Broome. But I think they sell out of stock quite often. 212.965.9042

I guess they run out quick. I was looking for it there. That place is the bomb.

True, travolta. Sometimes I have a hard time calling something pretentious, unless it's very very obvious or I know a lot about it. I'm more likely to be assume that it's amateurish, or just unclear, ineffective, like you described. It is possible for something to have honesty and heart but still not work or get its message across.
I love Universal News, too! I could sit there all day looking at magazines. Can't wait to get back.

Covers from 1994
548vfa
548vaf

The one on the left is by Wolfgang Tillmans

Last edited by a moderator:
Just now saw those old covers. Love the Tillmans and Inez one. I think back then Purple was really something special.

faust said:
I guess they run out quick. I was looking for it there. That place is the bomb.

There's a magazine shop on Ave A and 5th or 6th street, they carry Purple Magazine. (And every other flippin' magazine. ^_^) I've spent close to an hour just looking. =P

metal-on-metal said:
No, you're thinking of RICHARDSON, which is a softcore p*rn/fashion magazine by stylist Andrew Richardson. No relation to Terry. He does a lot of work with Mario Sorrenti and David Sims. Great stylist. But RICHARDSON comes out very, very seldomly. In fact, I haven't seen it in about a year.

http://www.richardsonmag.com

Terry does shoot for it. I rather like the magazine. Too bad its like $50. :angry:

yeah, there's a shop on 12th street around 2nd ave that has old issues of purple...FOR $50 APIECE. no thanks.

purple magazine

Hi evryone,

i have seen in the french vogue an article about this mag.
I am looking for the scans of the carine roitfeld wardrobe article...
I know it's the mag with the chloe sevigny nude pix...

Thanx

^merged this into a general discussion about purple fashion.
might be an interesting read for our newer members, as you'll see there's a lot of love and hate for purple:P

Just to clear some stuff Purple (Prose) was first an art magazine... it became with time a fashion magazine... but first it esp. focus on urban culture (and esp. art) it got out by the same years than BlocNotes (founded by Leturcq and Perrin who then founded Crash) and Documents sur l'art (by Nicolas Bourriaud - ex-co-director of Palais de Tokyo, Eric Troncy - co-director of Le Consortium, art critic etc.)
these were underground art magazines...because in France only Art Press was about contemporary art, and these magazines were founded in the early 1990s - I think 1992...
and they were really really good art magazines... they also gave their Art Direction to artists (as A mag. ) and cross the different arty disciplines (like fashion, music, architecture... and even politics)

I would love to go further this art magazines discussion... but unfortunately my english is not able to give me the "intelligent side"...

^yes Purple Prose...
and i'm excited because actually we can still buy them...

when will the new issue of Purple Fashion be out???

Hello all !

Just wanted to let you know that we just put the remainder of our personal stock of back issues for sale on the Purple website :

http://www.purple.fr/fashion.php?b=fs

We just found a bunch at the office and don't have the proper place to stock them here (Purple Fashion #4 through #9).

Tell your friends!

love,
purple fashion

received on my mailbox, today

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me,
I am looking for an editorial, mainly the name of the models.

In the purple anthology book, on page 165 or 166.? it has pictures from Purple no.8 and 9.

The photographer's where Terry Richardson, Juergen Teller, and Adners Edstrom.

Does anybody know who these people are..?

Best Regards..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->