Quality vs. quantity?

mathiaskatz

Reaction score
So I looked up the girls that went with quantity, the top walkers of FW17 season and their work from the end of the season.

1. Jess PW - 49 (O: 2/C: 3)
Campaigns: N/A
Covers: Manifesto April 2017
Editorials: W Mag April, Vogue Italia April, Another Magazine SS17

2. Jessie Bloemendaal - 48 (O: 2/C: 2)
Covers: Zoo Magazine N. 55 Summer 2017
Editorials: Vogue Japan Sept, Vogue Netherlands June, Numero June, Zoo Magazine Summer, Vogue Italia May, W Magazine April, Vogue Germany April, Vogue Netherlands April, Self Service SS17, Document SS17, Another Magazine SS17, Interview March

3. Emm Arruda - 43 (O: 1/C: 1)
Covers: N/A
Editorials: British Vogue June, NYT Style Mag May, Manifesto April, Interview March, NYT Style Mag Feb

4. Camille Hurel - 42 (O: 2/C: 2)
Campaigns: Dior
Covers: Vogue Japan Feb. 2017
Editorials: Vogue Italia May, Interview March, Vogue Paris March

5. Cong He - 42 (O: 0/C: 0)
Campaigns: Valentino, Coach, Prada Resort
Covers: T Magazine China July 2017, Grazia China April 2017
Editorials: Vogue China July, Vogue Italia May, T Magazine China SS17

6. Lia Pavlova - 41 (O: 1/C: 1)
Editorials: Vogue Italia July

7. Léa Julian - 39 (O: 1/C: 0)
8. McKenna Hellam - 39 (O: 4/C: 1)
Campaigns: MSGM, Massimo Dutti
Covers:
Editorials; W Mag Sept, Interview August, Vogue Italia April, British Vogue April,

8. Odette Pavlova - 39 (O: 2/C: 3)
Covers: Vogue Japan Feb 2017
Editorials: Vogue Japan Sept, Vogue Italia July, Vogue Italia, March, Vogue Japan Feb

10. Lineisy Montero - 38 (O: 0/C: 0)
Campaigns: Alberta Ferretti, Gap, Elie Saab Fragrance, Giorgio Armani, Saks Fifth Avenue
Editorials; Dazed August, American Vogue June, American Vogue April, American Vogue March, Vogue Germany March, American Vogue Feb

After compiling this list, I just felt bad for these girls that worked their ***es off during fashion week and not having much work following. But rather, the girls that were a lot more selective (ie. Faretta) ended up killing it.

Just a thought before next season -- perhaps agencies should stop forcing girls to go to every single casting possible, and maybe develop focused group of shows that would showcase each girl's look? Cuz as of right now, so many of these girls are interchangable. You can replace either of the Jess's and I don't know who would notice.

Thoughts?

Quantity for the new girls. Faretta will soon fade, she's only getting booked because of Meisel novelty.

There's such a discrepancy between runway and print nowadays. Most girls on that list are boring, blank canvas runway fillers who wouldn't be getting much print work no matter what strategy their management tried.

Meanwhile, someone like Imaan Hammam or Vanessa Axente never had a massive runway season, yet to me they are the closest thing to modern day supers, the absolute standouts of their generation.

It's all so boring and predictable anyway... blah blah... Maybe it's just me getting old, but I think social media killed the last bit of mystery and intrigue surrounding this industry.

Why does everyone keep repeating that Faretta will fade? Meanwhile her career is similar to Vittoria's but everyone thinks Vitto will be the next big thing.

There's such a discrepancy between runway and print nowadays. Most girls on that list are boring, blank canvas runway fillers who wouldn't be getting much print work no matter what strategy their management tried.

I agree. I think these girls' agents know that they aren't unique enough to stay relevant for more than 2 years, so they try to book them in as many shows as possible, knowing that their window for a HF career is going to be short. The potential super stars are the ones that agencies nurture & are careful to not oversaturate them for more than 2 seasons. I think Vittoria & Faretta are both stars in the making. Vittoria's team has now started choosing only A-list shows for her now, & I think Faretta will have one more full season, then start being more selective.

So I looked up the girls that went with quantity, the top walkers of FW17 season and their work from the end of the season.

1. Jess PW - 49 (O: 2/C: 3)
Covers: Manifesto April 2017
Editorials: W Mag April, Vogue Italia April, Another Magazine SS17

2. Jessie Bloemendaal - 48 (O: 2/C: 2)
Covers: Zoo Magazine N. 55 Summer 2017
Editorials: Vogue Japan Sept, Vogue Netherlands June, Numero June, Zoo Magazine Summer, Vogue Italia May, W Magazine April, Vogue Germany April, Vogue Netherlands April, Self Service SS17, Document SS17, Another Magazine SS17, Interview March

3. Emm Arruda - 43 (O: 1/C: 1)
Editorials: British Vogue June, NYT Style Mag May, Manifesto April, Interview March, NYT Style Mag Feb

4. Camille Hurel - 42 (O: 2/C: 2)
Campaigns: Dior
Covers: Vogue Japan Feb. 2017
Editorials: Vogue Italia May, Interview March, Vogue Paris March

5. Cong He - 42 (O: 0/C: 0)
Campaigns: Valentino, Coach, Prada Resort
Covers: T Magazine China July 2017, Grazia China April 2017
Editorials: Vogue China July, Vogue Italia May, T Magazine China SS17

6. Lia Pavlova - 41 (O: 1/C: 1)
Editorials: Vogue Italia July

7. Léa Julian - 39 (O: 1/C: 0)
8. McKenna Hellam - 39 (O: 4/C: 1)
Campaigns: MSGM, Massimo Dutti
Covers:
Editorials; W Mag Sept, Interview August, Vogue Italia April, British Vogue April,

8. Odette Pavlova - 39 (O: 2/C: 3)
Covers: Vogue Japan Feb 2017
Editorials: Vogue Japan Sept, Vogue Italia July, Vogue Italia, March, Vogue Japan Feb

10. Lineisy Montero - 38 (O: 0/C: 0)
Campaigns: Alberta Ferretti, Gap, Elie Saab Fragrance, Giorgio Armani, Saks Fifth Avenue
Editorials; Dazed August, American Vogue June, American Vogue April, American Vogue March, Vogue Germany March, American Vogue Feb

After compiling this list, I just felt bad for these girls that worked their ***es off during fashion week and not having much work following. But rather, the girls that were a lot more selective (ie. Faretta) ended up killing it.

Just a thought before next season -- perhaps agencies should stop forcing girls to go to every single casting possible, and maybe develop focused group of shows that would showcase each girl's look? Cuz as of right now, so many of these girls are interchangable. You can replace either of the Jess's and I don't know who would notice.

Thoughts?

Wow, how does Jess PW possibly afford to live in NY with that work? I didn't realise she had such a small amount of work.

I find that the agencies that push more towards quality end up getting more success and notability in the longterm, so I can assume the same rule applies with models i.e. IMG as one of the more obvious examples, as well as The Society/Elite. However, for models who are more under the radar, and especially the girls on development boards trying to get their name out there, quantity is the best headstart. The more successful a model, the more selective they become with their work, but they always start their careers off trying to get as much work as possible. Models who, even after attaining success, lean more towards quantity than quality, are the ones that fade away (i.e. most girls from the Russian Invasion era, with Natalia, Sasha and Natasha being examples of how going with quality once successful can get you farther than quantity in the long term). (I might be misunderstanding the point of this thread, if I am I apologize!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->