Question about street fashion photography

Saccharine

Reaction score
I am admittedly not the most knowledgable person here, but bear with me, please.

As a member of the Vogue Australia forum, where Street Chic is relatively new invention, I'm finding myself increasingly interested by what people on the street are wearing. (Surprise, surprise.) I knew of its existence on Vogue UK, but was not aware of how widespread, grassroots, and democratic street fashion photography was until I came across this website a few days ago.

I have to say I'm intrigued, and the journalist within me is dying to write an article about it.

So I guess my question for you more experienced fashion experts is, how widespread is this interest in street fashion photography? Where and when did people start doing it? Who takes the photos? Why? Where can I find more information?

Not just lazy journalism, but also genuine curiousity and a need for a starting point. Any help would be most appreciated. :smile:

Hi Saccharine,
I am new to this forum too (although really I've been reading for months!)

Street fashion photography is really not new - high paid companies, ad agencies and design houses have been doing this as a way to follow street trends for years - because of course trends start on the streets, move to high end designers, then back down to the masses.

Saccharine said:
So I guess my question for you more experienced fashion experts is, how widespread is this interest in street fashion photography? Where and when did people start doing it? Who takes the photos? Why? Where can I find more information?
I'm not entirely sure if I'm qualified to answer this, but it seems to me that the interest in streetwear (while not new) is becoming increaingly heightened, at least judging from the number of sites dedicated to pictures of streetstyle, and magazines related to the topic, such as "Fruits" :flower: Also, if you think of how popular candids of celebrities in everyday attire are, it seems like a natural extension for individuals to want to see what 'everyday people' (so to speak) are wearing.

Hope that helped :flower:

welcome saccharine and urbanite...:flower:

i take lots of pics on the streets of new york...
it's inspiring and fun...
like a real life fashion show everyday...

several years ago vogue ran an ad campaign around the city...
billboards and sides of buses...
and it read..
"runways are everywhere"...

i think this is really true...'all the world is a stage'...
and WE are the players...
:heart:...

Last edited by a moderator:
saccharine & urbanite, welcome to tFS

streetstyle photography has been around for roughly more than ten/fifteen years now, it's a real business 'tool' for trendspotters who advice fashion companies of all areas (including make up, shoes, hairstyles, accessories etc) for stylists, product developers and even :roll eyes: fashion ..designers.
initially it was a way of 'discovering' and documenting original new ways of expression 'down the streets' recently is more like 'what's out there'
those photos we see are usually taken by young photographers who just find some looks interesting, they may approach you and ask for your picture to be taken.
after they have collected enough 'looks' they send their feedback back to a trendscout office (they are getting payed -not much but it is still money- for each and every shot they take) and from there trendscout 'centrals' are distributing the most interesting images all around the world.
best time/place to shoot streetstyle was typically during fashion weeks, wherever they happen.. now it can be anywhere in a big city, they are just bold enouh to approach people and ask for their picture.
goes without saying that almost anyone is flattered when asked to get photographed for a streetstyle project, doesnt take much to persuade those 'interesting' dressed people down the street, but then, one needs to think if they would people capitalising on a personal image.
to make a long story short, the industry has been always fascinated by what people wear down the street, just because at some point 'original style creativity' started appearing more often down the streets than in the designer's ateliers.
twenty years ago, people did not had the 'guts' to 'copy' individual styles by sticking a camera on someone's face.. by capitalising on vanity, it's now possible to document and make a living by taking pictures down the road, all one needs is to ask politely, with a big smile and pronto, the mass production company is getting feedback from your personal style

there are too many websites dedicated just to streetfashion, some are also acting as reps for streetstyle photographers

You really think there are too many sites dedicated to streetfashion Lena? (I have a toronto street fashion site!). I love looking at them and always look for more!

Personally I love seeing what people look like in other cities; what trends will be coming our way from Europe; and what to wear!

Tiffany made a good point about the "celebrity streetwear" - people are definitely more interested in celebrity everyday style...

softgrey said:
i take lots of pics on the streets of new york...
it's inspiring and fun...
like a real life fashion show everyday...

...almost forgot

I love your NY streetshots Softgrey:D

urbanite said:
You really think there are too many sites dedicated to streetfashion Lena? (I have a toronto street fashion site!). I love looking at them and always look for more!

unfortunately, i have lost my faves list links more than once, so i cannot really post links to streetstyle sites, but there is one which is also rep for streetstyle photographers, its real good..
hope you are making some money out of your streetfashion site urbanite :wink:
why dont you post a link? i'd love to have a look

My site is www.torontostreetfashion.com

Toronto is obviously not a global fashion capital or even very unique for that matter, but we do have a growing fashion industry and a pretty exciting city.

I'm not making money on the site YET but I hope to one day so I can work on it like a job. The other thing is that I'm trying to make it a site about Toronto's fashion industry in general.

tiffany said:
......it seems to me that the interest in streetwear (while not new) is becoming increaingly heightened, at least judging from the number of sites dedicated to pictures of streetstyle, and magazines related to the topic, such as "Fruits" :flower:

Could you post links to some of those sites ? I would so really appreciate it :wink: !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ just look at any of our streetstyle threads. links to sites devoted to streetstyle are everywhere. :flower:

If you want to take streetstyle pictures how do you approach people?
Also, what agencies can you contact to pay you for these photos?

I am thinking about making my own site, southafricastreetfashion.com

I'm not sure if this counts as on topic or off topic, but I want to ask those of you who photograph street style.... are there any general rules? Etiquette tips? Such as, do I always have to approach the subject before I shoot to ask permission... or is it ok to snap and post on my blog if it is a candid? (Etc...)

I ask because Australian Fashion Week is coming up in a month and this year, I want to take myself and my camera down there and see what happens (Preferably without offending anyone! :P)!

From what I can see in street style photos,

some are posed and some are action shots of people just walking by.

Timing is crucial!

But considering it will be FW, I think people will be used to photographers everywhere, and I think they will oblige to a photo op of their outfit. I suggest also bringing a pad and pen to write down what they are wearing if you plan on documenting it.

Have fun! :flower:

I'm not sure if this counts as on topic or off topic, but I want to ask those of you who photograph street style.... are there any general rules? Etiquette tips? Such as, do I always have to approach the subject before I shoot to ask permission... or is it ok to snap and post on my blog if it is a candid? (Etc...)

I ask because Australian Fashion Week is coming up in a month and this year, I want to take myself and my camera down there and see what happens (Preferably without offending anyone! :P)!

Hi there, I run a street style blog so am happy to give you some advice on this - to be honest, you have raised a really interesting point in your post - to ask, or not to ask.
I don't really see a problem with not asking permission if you are snapping away at a fashion event - after all, everyone going there knows it is highly likely to be heavily documented anyway, so snap away, as they are kind-of expecting to be snapped when they are there.
And if you want to get a great picture of an individual look, you will end up asking them anyway - you can't beat a good pose! :D

I always send the people I snap a copy of all the pictures for their own use. You won't offend anyone as long as you smile! Oh and good luck and enjoy the day! ^_^

I know for sure, if someone's under 18, you legally cannot take a photo of them and post it on the internet/in a book/whatever without their parent's written consent.
I think, also, if you did take a photo of someone without their written consent (whatever age they are) and they saw it, and didn't like it, they could sue you. Not likely but it could happen. Even with verbal consent, it can still happen as you can't prove anything.
At least this is what I've come across, I don't do street photography but I've done photography for Lottery funded projects and they issue guidelines on what photos you can publish.

^ I guess thats english legislation. It must vary from country to country, wouldnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->