R.I.P. Anthony Minghella

magpie

Reaction score
I've just heard that Anthony Minghella died, but there doesn't seem to be much news feed on it yet. Is this for real or just a rumour? The one news item I could find on it was this:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/18/europe/EU-GEN-Britain-Minghella.php

So sad if it's true, The English Patient still makes me cry every time I see it. And I remember Ralph Fiennes talking about how Anthony Minghella just wanted to stay in the desert forever while filming it.

yes, the ap confirmed.
Oscar-Winning Director Minghella Dies

14 minutes ago
LONDON (AP) — Anthony Minghella, who won an Oscar for "The English Patient" and directed such hit movies as "The Talented Mr. Ripley," "Cold Mountain" and "Truly Madly Deeply," has died. He was 54.
Minghella's death was confirmed Tuesday by his agent, Judy Daish. No other details were not immediately available.
"The English Patient," the 1996 World War II movie that won nine Academy Awards, was one of a series of literary adaptations directed by Minghella. Others included "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (1999) and "Cold Mountain" (2003).
Minghella was recently in Botswana filming an adaptation of Alexander McCall Smith's novel "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency."
In addition to his best-director Oscar for "The English Patient," Minghella was nominated for best screenplay for that film, and for his screenplay for "The Talented Mr. Ripley."
Among his other acclaimed films were "Truly, Madly, Deeply" (1990), and last year's Oscar-nominated "Michael Clayton," on which he was executive producer.
"The English Patient," based on the acclaimed novel by Canadian writer Michael Ondaatje, tells of a burn victim's tortured recollections of his misdeeds in time of war.
It won nine Oscars in all, including best picture, best supporting actress for Juliette Binoche, and a raft of technical Oscars including best film editing, best costume design and cinematography.
Minghella also turned his talents to the opera stage. In 2006, he directed an acclaimed staging of Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" at New York's Metropolitan opera.

that's terrible! i loved the english patient too.

RIP

Very sad... :cry::heart:
May he rest in peace..

from imdb:

Director Anthony Minghella Dies at 54
VM._SY90_.jpg
Director Anthony Minghella, who won an Academy Award for directing the 1996 epic The English Patient, has died at age 54, his agent announced Tuesday. No other details, including the exact date or cause of death, were available at press time. A director who worked in theater and television (most notably for the series Inspector Morse) during the 80s, Minghella made his feature film directorial debut with the ghost story/romance Truly, Madly, Deeply, which starred Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman. The film won Minghella a BAFTA award for his screenplay and effectively launched his film career. The little-seen indie romance Mr. Wonderful followed in 1993, but it was three years later that Minghella had his biggest success with The English Patient, an adaptation of the novel by Michael Ondaatje. Aggressively marketed by Miramax and arriving near the height of the independent film movement (though the film, with its epic scope, pushed the definition of indie filmmaking), the film became a surprise success, ultimately taking in $78 million in the US and winning a whopping nine Academy Awards, including Best Picture as well as Director and Adapted Screenplay for Minghella. Three of the film's stars, Ralph Fiennes, Kristin Scott-Thomas and Juliette Binoche, were Oscar-nominated, with Binoche taking home the Best Supporting Actress award in a shocking upset over Hollywood legend Lauren Bacall.

Minghella followed up that success in 1999 with the moody thriller The Talented Mr, Ripley, another book-to-film adaptation based on the novel by Patricia Highsmith. Though the film starred high-profile actors Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow, it was the then little-known Jude Law who walked away with the film with his role as a callow, rich playboy. The film earned Law a Best Supporting Actor nomination and Minghella another Adapted Screenplay nod. Minghella tried to replicate his successful literary adaptation formula with Cold Mountain, a high-profile version of the bestselling Civil War novel that, ironically, was filmed partly in Romania. Despite another big (and some said, overly aggressive) push by Miramax and a cast that included Nicole Kidman, Jude Law, Renee Zellweger, Natalie Portman and Philip Seymour Hoffman, the movie was considered a major flop, though it did earn $95 million in the US alone and a Supporting Actress Oscar for Zellweger; however, major nominations for Best Picture or Director failed to materialize. Minghella worked on a smaller scale with the London-based drama Breaking and Entering, which reteamed him with both Law and Binoche, and had just completed filming on The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, the pilot for a TV series based on the novel by Alexander McCall Smith. Beginning in 2000, Minghella also became a producer, with credits including The Quiet American, The Interpreter, and the recent Oscar winner Michael Clayton. In 2005, Minghella also staged an acclaimed version of the opera Madame Butterfly, which played at the English National Opera and the Metropolitan Opera.

Minghella is survived by his wife, choreographer Carolyn Choa, and their daughter, Hannah. --Mark Englehart, IMDb staff

so shocking an upsetting:cry::cry::cry:
he was one of the directors that i looked up to while growing up. the fact that he could have been my lecturer upsets me. he will be sorely missed:cry:

RIP Anthony! :heart:
thanks for the memories and cinematic moments that you've written, created and captured! :flower:

RIP Anthony, he was such a brilliant and visionary director. He will be greatly missed.

totally shocking...I just saw The Talented Mr. Ripley too!

:shock:
I can't believe it. Talented Mr. Ripley is one of my favorite movies! And I generally love his directing style.
:( RIP

I was actually surprised how shocked I was when i read it, he was very young and real talent. He will be missed.:(

I was shock to read this aswell, i loved so many of his movies so may he RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iabsolvejordan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->