R.I.P. Matt Irwin

Benn98

Reaction score
I dont know why they tout him as a celebrity photographer, he was a fashion photographer!!

Matt Irwin, Celebrity Photographer, Dies at 36
By Fabiana Repaci

LONDON — British photographer Matt Irwin —who worked for Dazed & Confused and shot Cara Delevingne, Lady Gaga, One Direction and Rita Ora— died on Thursday at age 36.

Thu Nguyen, a representative at Irwin’s photo agency, told WWD: “It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of British photographer Matt Irwin. Matt’s family and friends are heartbroken and have asked that their privacy be respected while they come to terms with their loss.”

The cause of death has not been disclosed. Born in Southport, U.K., Irwin demonstrated an interest in photography while still at school, at age 15, and his desire to become a fashion photographer brought him to London, where he later became in-house photographer at Dazed & Confused.

Jefferson Hack, founder of Dazed Media, said Irwin was an “inspirational individual and an iconic fashion and celebrity photographer. He was part of the first generation of digital natives who alongside his friend and fashion director Nicola Formichetti helped usher in a new bold new aesthetic and direction for Dazed and then pop culture in the late 00’s.”

Irwin shot for magazines such as Elle U.K., Vogue Russia, Vogue Japan, and American Glamour.

He became known as a celebrity photographer, having shot the likes of Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Kylie Minogue, Rihanna and others.

Celebrities and friends took it to social media to share their memories. House of Holland’s Henry Holland, Diesel’s Nicola Formichetti, Moschino’s Jeremy Scott were among those who paid tribute.

Lady Gaga wrote: “Matt Irwin you were such a talent. I am devastated. The world will miss u. I will never forget this shoot together it was magical.”

Ora posted two pictures with Irwin, and commented: “Matt Irwin, you were always smiling, I’m so lucky to off known you, and shooting so many fun things together. Rest in peace my friend, sending love and healing to the Irwin family.”

Georgia May Jagger recalled: “So much talent. You took my first ever picture. You were the first one to believe in me, I probably wouldn’t work in this industry if it wasn’t for the kindness you’ve shown me all these years. Made me laugh for hours. I always felt at home with you. My all time favourite.”

Minaj posted a picture on her Instagram account, with the words: “I just don’t want to believe he’s gone. He literally took my pics 3 months ago after I specifically REQUESTED him!!! Always made me so happy on set. Always so loving & sweet & optimistic. This is so surreal. He was just so unbelievably TALENTED!!!! God bless his family. Rest in peace my love.”

Alexa Chung wrote: “Sorry to hear you left so soon. Will break out the summer shorts in your honour.” One Direction’s Niall Horan said: “Rest well Matt . Can’t believe [I’m] writing this. Incredible person. X.”

Source: http://wwd.com/media-news/fashion-memopad/matt-irwin-celebrities-photographer-dies-tribute-lady-gaga-one-direction-rihanna-10426527/

I might never have been his biggest fan (liked mostly his work for American Glamour and British Elle), but this was a true loss. Especially at such a young age.

That's so sad.. I saw his work and path to success since pretty much the beginning, he was so young and had a lot of future in his profession.. none of my business but I wonder what happened..

RIP..: (

How terrible, he was really too young the news is beyond shocking.

i was so saddened and shocked by the news. does anyone know the cause?

I think the mere fact that the cause of death was not revealed does makes one wonder. It's human nature after all.

The condolences from all his clients (mostly celebrities) are also very heartwarming. Paints somewhat of a picture what he was all about. The personality of a photographer is mostly obscure.
Nothing yet from Elle UK, perhaps one of his biggest clients over the past few years.

Yeah i've wondered the cause since i heard too.

RIP, sad. Everyone seemed to really like him, even if they only shot with him once.

This is so unexpected and sad. He was still so young. May he rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->