Re-Imagining the Fashion Calendar

Fulton St Critique

Reaction score
The current fashion calendar has drawn unbelievable amounts of criticism lately from seemingly everyone in the industry. In an original essay, I delved into the issues surrounding the calendar which include sustainability, overconsumption, and the overall poor planning between the seasons and when the collection's are show. Below is an original take on what I believe the calendar could look like (scroll to the bottom of the post to see). The 2019 dates are provided by Women's Wear Daily and on the right is my take of what I believe the-2021 calendar should look like. In the May and November boxes, I also included a revised sell and delivery date schedule that would align better with the stores and houses selling the products.

Beginning with the Fall menswear collections, placing these in July rather than January would allow enough time for buyers to purchase their products while also giving houses several months to manufacture the goods before the fall season. In theory, having these collections shown just months before the fall season is much more practical than showing them in the middle of winter, just before Spring.

In the re-imagined calendar, the women’s Autumn-Winter ready-to-wear collections are moved a week prior in February to allow more time for manufacturers and buyers to compile their resources and have the products delivered in late July or August. The Spring-Summer women’s ready to wear collections would take place in the usual month’s ranging from September to October.

Showing the Spring-Summer menswear collections a week or so after the end of the women’s Autumn-Winter show would allow for a much smoother transition beginning with the first menswear week in Paris, and regressing to New York for the final week of the Spring-Summer menswear season.

Several weeks after the conclusion of the Spring Summer menswear collection, the resort and bridal collections would be shown together. By combining these two events, and having their selling and delivery schedules paired, a much simpler and more effective program could be reached.

After years of following the traditional fashion calendar, and the success and growth the industry has faced based on this system, the change will certainly not happen overnight. I would love to hear your thoughts, criticisms, and comments.

- Fulton St. Critique

2019 v. 2021 Fashion Calender.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"