Retailers Report S/S 05

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Tell Us What You REALLY Think

They've danced the global Fashion Week tango. Now, nine retailers reveal their Spring 05 faves.

NEW YORK: Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Joan Kaner, senior vice president, fashion director, Neiman Marcus:
“I was very pleased with Chloé. As a rounded collection, she seemed to get it right; it was enough volume without getting overly out there. Phoebe [Philo] seemed to hit a stride. She now knows who she is and has matured into the role. Watching that show was like a coming of age.”

Julie Gilhart, vice president and fashion director, Barneys New York:
“The single strongest collection by far was Lanvin. Alber [Elbaz] has been working toward this kind of a collection for some time now, and his collection for spring was so sophisticated but had such ease to it. It’s truly a design collection. I loved how he played with volume, and in the end, he presented a complete idea of what a woman would wear from day to evening.”

Barbara Atkin, fashion director, Holt Renfrew
“I really loved the prairie or gypsy skirts that were shown on the runways of Milan and Paris, especially at Roberto Cavalli and Jean Paul Gaultier, that were paired with that soft, ethnic romantic blouse. I think that the longer skirt that falls to the ankle or even longer hasn’t been around in awhile, but I think it will be very strong this upcoming season.”

Stefani Greenfield, co-owner, Scoop:
“I’m into this whole Bo Derek in Malibu feeling for spring. For me, the look is Bohemian but in a sense of being more effortless, as evidenced by Stella McCartney, Matthew Williamson, Michael Kors and Missoni, which were my favorite collections. Longer skirts, fuller pieces, and, of course, the jacket were all extremely important pieces. We’re also doing whole Morocco/Jaipur/Mediterranean prints, which translate into lots of beading and some kind of ornamentation. The vibe for spring is about soft feminine with a lot of drape, tons of espadrille shoes, skinnier pants and cropped, tons of embroidery. The new embellishment for us is embroidery. Everything has that sun-kissed feel.”

Sue Patneaude, executive vice president of designer apparel, Nordstrom:
“Our favorite piece item is a piece of crochet. Whether it was from Chloé, Chanel or Dior, almost everyone had fabulous crochet with a 70s peasant or hippie feeling.”

Kal Ruttenstein, senior vice president of fashion direction, Bloomingdale’s:
“I would say that the most important trend for Bloomingdale’s is the change in the silhouette of skirts. From the pencil skirts of seasons past, we’re seeing this new fullness and softness below the waist.”

Scott Tepper, fashion director, Henri Bendel:
“This Missoni look captured the season for us. Bohemian was such a strong trend for spring; however we wanted to bring it into the store in a wearable way. The off the shoulder top is fantastic with jeans, and the slightly fuller, flounced mini will be perfect with a white camisole from our new lingerie department.”

Sari Sloane and Khajak Keledjian, head buyer and CEO, Intermix:
“The single strongest collection was from Matthew Williamson...bohemian, ethnic, feminine. Amazing rainbow prints! The best trend is long, tiered skirts and white vintage-inspired tops.”
JIM SHI

Fashion Week Daily

what are some of these buyers on?! Seriously? Anyway, agreed on the lanvin and the new fullness of skirts but what was with the crochet business? Maybe I just need to see it but still.

all the mall stores are prolly gonna follow suit and turn all of last seasons crochet ponchos into clothing...

Bad choices... of course, they're thinking in terms of mainstream marketability...

Originally posted by Meg@Nov 3 2004, 10:33 PM
what are some of these buyers on?! Seriously? Anyway, agreed on the lanvin and the new fullness of skirts but what was with the crochet business? Maybe I just need to see it but still.
[snapback]417272[/snapback]​

Just think about who they are asking :lol: :rolleyes: . The title of this article is an oxymoron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->