Retailers Shuffle The Fashion Deck

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Apr 26, 2004.

1. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

good article...thx for the post... :flower:

lauren by ralph lauren and signature by jones ny look almost identical...they are both very cute though...very classic american sportwear and much better than liz...good news...

3. faust

faust New Member

No more Kors, please, please, please :cry:

4. classic1908

classic1908 Member

Lord and Taylor NEEDED to make itself over. I have shopped off and on there for about 15 years, and May Stores, which owns the chain and is one of the more banal chains, IMO, in this country, really drove it downscale. There's no way that you should get the same merch in L&T as in Robinson's-May.

I think there's room for diversification within the department store sector and too many aren't very different from each other.
    In Teri Agins' The End of Fashion, I remember reading that Federated (Bloomingdales, Macy's and others' parent) dropped designer and bridge merchandise from most of its stores. I'm a bridge buyer, as I'm sure many other career-type women are, so you drive a good customer away by cutting to the likes of Liz. :wacko:

5. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

Less homogeneous with these brands would be nice.. every mid-level department store you go into has racks and racks of apparel and accessories that are practically identical. That's how they keep costs down for the middle-class consumer; by copying other companies' designs and mass producing things in Taiwan. But, honestly, do they really need the "Jelly Kelly" bags and the like?