Revamping A Fashion House...

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by ebowleg, Jan 10, 2004.

1. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

I'm confused. Whenever I here that another designer comes to take over an old design house, after their first collection, I usually here that they are not doing what so and so would have done. Case in point: Julien McDonald at Givenchy. When he was called upon to give a new edge to the house, we all knew what he was about: rock and roll, sex, bright colors, extravagence (I know I spelled that wrong ;)), but after his first HC collection tanked, he decided to take a different approach and when he did, people still weren't satisfied. What does it really mean to revamp a fashion house? Does it mean taking a completely different approach, or does it mean doing what the previous designer did?

2. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

3. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

4. ebowleg

ebowleg New Member

5. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Maybe John Galliano just has the Midas touch :lol:

I think it takes a new take on the old houses styles...Tom Ford totally revamped Gucci.

6. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I actually like number three. If I was to take over Giverchy, I would work with their traditions while making it a bit more fun. For example, I would bring back some of the great outfits he designed for Audrey Hepburn and take advantage of the retroish feeling. I would make it a bit like Chanel, which takes the classic looks they are known for (like the tweed suit) and adds little details and a new cut to make it contemporary again. :p

7. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

this thing rules.

more from asethic perspectives though

8. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

Julien McDonald is a very good example of someone not doing a good job at revamping a fashion house, he's light years away from the Givenchy spirit and a very bad choice for this position.

Lagerfeld on the other hand is a perfect example of how revamp should be, his work for chanel is quite near to the spirit of Mlle Chanel. Ford also did a good job for Gucci. Clements Ribiero did a good job at Cacharel. E2 did a good job at leonard only to lose the post after three seasons :rolleyes:

I think revamping should stay close to the style of the 'revamped' house which is not the case lately. Its a hard job for a designer, needs real dicipline of artistic freedom and it seems some are not ready for this (see whats been happening at the house of Grès.. it is a pretty good example)