Riccardo Tisci Named Chief Creative Officer at Burberry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by mistress_f, Mar 1, 2018.

1. perhydrol

perhydrol Active Member

This decision is so weird. With Phoebe and Kris available they went for Tisci who will destroy the brand with his heavy-handed streetwear and castings. I'm quite disappointed, that's it.

2. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Yeah, this will not be an easy role for Tisci, that much is clear. It seems like such a weird pair up, too. I think Ricardo is business savvy, so that is why this shocks me, that he would take up Burberry with so much at stake. Because if he doesn't perform for them, he will be out, very quickly! Gimmicks will NOT sell at Burberry.

3. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Who is kris?
    No, technically, Phoebe is not available. She can't work for any fashion house for 1 year. Remember the non-compete agreement...

4. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

Meh. This is not good.

First, Hedi goes to Céline. Then is very real the chance of Kim Jones going to Versace (a new brand dead if that's true). And now Riccardo is wasting his talent for an english house. It doesn't make any sense. He is perfect for Versace.

All those surprising movements are giving me headaches.

Oh, and THANKS PHOEBE FOR NOT COMING BACK SOON. That would have pissed me off.

#44 helmutnotdead, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Mariano: Mar 1, 2018
  5. Growl

Growl Member

I read he last year that negotiations with him at Versace fell apart sometime around June, so that's been done for a while.

6. squilliam

squilliam Member

That photo says "yea, I'm doing burberry now, deal with it b***hs"
    I really did not see this coming, and his style doesn't really suit burberry imo, but I'll take it considering the mess this brand has become

7. vetements

vetements Member

British fashion houses feel so dowdy and needs lots of dusting, Burberry included. So whilst I am somewhat disappointed with his appointment, i am also excited with the perceived mismatch and anticipate a brand new, dark and gothic Burberry.

Tisci has charm, and clout, so this should help.

8. fluxxx

fluxxx Well-Known Member

Expect Bella Hadid or Lily Aldridge to fronting Burberry's campaign LOL

9. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

How long before Kim Kardashian is fronting the Burberry campaign?

Yuk. What a nightmare.

10. guimon

guimon Well-Known Member

Not a good fit for the brand, at all.

But I'm curious to see what the brand is going to look like under tisci.
    I think Burberry will limite him. He's so creative and capable of so much. I love his couture designs.

Also, why leave Givenchy to join Burberry? Makes no sense to me, at all.

#50 guimon, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited by moderator aristobrat: Mar 1, 2018
  11. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Givenchy might appear like more prestigious but Burberry is a bigger brand. Riccardo made Givenchy into the powerhouse it is today but let's not forget that between the last collection of Mr De Givenchy and the first collection of Riccardo, it was really a struggling sleeping beauty.

And Burberry has plans to go really into the luxury market. I wonder how it will translate IRL.

12. guimon

guimon Well-Known Member

I think he was just fine @ Givenchy. I don't get the point of the transition. That's all.

He would be better @ Celine or Lanvin, imo.

But I'm happy to see him back and pretty excited.

13. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

Now that you say it, I do agree that Hedi @ Burberry and Tisci @ Celine would be a better fit.

Tisci can do minimal-chic easily (although he sure would have to tone down a bit on the gothic witch) and Hedi's "rock-punk" vibe would fit the "too-British-to-care" aesthetic of Burberry like a glove (now that Westwood lost it).

14. perhydrol

perhydrol Active Member

I meant Kim Jones :angel:

15. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

How random! It's just like Heidi at Céline, I didn't expect it and I don't agree with it either. However unlike Céline, we all know of Burberry is a struggling brand and this almost feels like a desperate plea to save them. Tisci has the right connections and this move will definitely shake up the brand.

I really don't know what to expect. My only concern is that I hope he doesn't destroy the iconic British image and heritage of the house.

16. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

I liked the idea of Phoebe at Celine better.

17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Bailey's been feeding Burberry with a British sensibility for so long that it's impossible for me to imagine any other direction. And this is where I really question whether Tisci is up to the task. What does he know about the brand or the audience which he just inherited? The British posh set don't run around in gothic gowns and streetwear. They already have the cream of the crop to choose from during LFW. I'd have much rather preferred Phoebe!

And Lola, I will add that many may not associate Burberry with luxury but Bailey have tried to introduce his consumers with niche demi-couture pieces over the years. It wasn't successful because it got derided (prime example was the peacock feather trench.) This won't work if Tisci will to go at it full-on because the British are not purveyors of luxury in the literal sense. It's considered vulgar. Besides, those who prefer that kind of thing can go to Paris or Italy.

18. IndigoHomme

IndigoHomme Well-Known Member

Im crying, and not for happiness

19. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

This is exciting news, Tisci made Givenchy dark and glamorous, Burberry still doesn't have anything particularly interesting about it apart from trench coats and those feather dresses from a decade ago, let's hope he gives it some new life.

20. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

What the heck, what are they thinking?! Can't imagine any good coming out of this. He wasn't very interesting anymore at Givenchy, I expect the same here.