Riccardo Tisci Named Chief Creative Officer at Burberry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by mistress_f, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

From the last collection, that I refused it is all creatively under Bailey, I can see why he chose Tisci. However, I feel like this brand stands for British. It was, at least for me, represents the British heritage from design to models. Now it's all going to be #BurberryFamily with all this clique and campaigns shot by M&M.

I think Tisci is capable of doing great things I can't just picture anything in my head at all. But I hope he surprised me wrong. Good luck to him and the brand. It's not going to be smooth ride from current financial state.

2. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

If he pushes himself to start from scratch...it could work (think Galliano at Margiela).

If it ends up looking like late-Givenchy, but in Burberry plaid...it's going to be a mess.

3. KKnardi

KKnardi Active Member

I can already see the face-jewelery & beads, jungle & animal prints etc. He's not going to change for Burberry, it's going to be Burbenchy

4. Ed..

Ed.. cape cod kwassa kwassa!

I saw some male models with more muscular body are in Burberry HQ the past few days. I'm excited to see what Tisci will do for menswear.

5. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

He should bring Rob Evans back to high fashion, god knows he was the most exciting thing from his menswear...

It's kind of funny to see how Virgil's recent appointment has lessened the hype for Riccardo. He's been out-instagrammed this time.

#85 YohjiAddict, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited by moderator magnes: Mar 28, 2018
  6. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

At least Burberry dodged a bullet by not appointing Virgil.
    [​IMG]

Ricardo's appointment might seem random but he'll obviously do wonders with Burberry.

7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Which means he'll pull out all the cheap stunts to garner all the hype. Still shocked at this appointment because it literally makes no sense.

8. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Makes solid sense to me, Benn. He’s evolved into as much of a desperate SM-whorehound as its reigning royalties… What are the chances that those people will be this brand’s new identity??? And tragically, this is where high fashion is right now: Basics are the new high fashion.

Before everyone either crucifies or glorifies him, just remember that Burberry is a publicly-traded brand now. Whatever newish direction he will conjure up, it’s got to appeal and sell to the times— which sadly, means instaBait for the masses and the basic tastes of the kidz. And kidz are so basic these days. When Virgil’s brand of basic— and it doesn’t get anymore basic than what Virgil does, makes him the coolest name in fashiondom, it’s an all-new low. Riccardo is more or less bound by those guidelines. I’m sure he’s going to scatter in his couture-y skills here and there to keep some of us hopeful, but ultimately, the basic house signatures and logo staples will be the backbone of this brand.

(At least, he’s possessed of some talent to reinvent that wretched Nova plaid— of which BTW, that you couldn’t pay me to wear…)

9. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

so weird...
    will it be goth burberry?
    it was always good when there was a little punk twist added...
    maybe that's the thinking here...

i'll be happy if we finally are rid of all the religious iconography, i'll tell you that much...
    :judge:

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Full article source: UK.Investing.com

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: WWD.com

12. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

A collaboration from the start? I wonder what effect that will have on shaping his tenure at Burberry.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

He's probably thinking since Bailey did that little line with Gosha, it's all go. Maybe this was even part of his contract, running collabs., that is. Collabs are proving very popular (ask Supreme), and in this case Burberry looks set to benefit far more that Viv. But we'll see.

I'm not sure what to make of it because I've not seen his first collection yet. This is like putting the cart before he horse.

14. maxlinden

maxlinden Active Member

Anything to move away from that preppy uptown girl Burberry's so fond of pushing.

15. dodencebt

Yeah, I get the need for collaborations and a Westwood collab would be a breath of fresh air for Burberry, but announcing it before he has even presented his first collection? So odd.

16. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

That's quite outside the box. Clever decision imo. Also set him a bit more time to develop his vision if he's not ready yet.

17. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I like it already.
    I have high hopes for Riccardo. I hope that he will bring back the glamour that we miss in fashion right now.
    He is in a way the one who started the streetwear trend that i'm totally tired of and choosing Vivienne instead of a Hypebeast friendly designer as a collaborator is totally fresh.

People in London seems to be so unamoured with their young designers that sometimes i feel like they don't have the same respect for the ones who actually changed the landscape of fashion AND culture.

I wonder if Burberry will, like they did with Bailey, continue with "See now Buy now" or "September-February" strategy. If so, then it's really a great strategy to announce it right now and even better to release it in December.

It could fill the gap between the two shows and can be a part of their Resort collection.

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

But we haven't even seen a stitch of clothing yet....anyway I reckon it's not wise to start with such fanfares. Play it cool.

Viv is a bona fide stalwart in the British fashion constellation. She's still very much revered, can't speak for the failed athlete, I'm afraid.
    I happen to think her brand is stuck in a rut at the moment. That in the process of streamlining her business in order to align more with her very much touted ethical outlook, she lost appeal in the process. But perhaps this collab will rejuvenate interest in her creativity, which is still in top form.

See now, buy now has actually worked well for Burberry. Better than it did for TF, for instance. I doubt whether the brand will ditch that structure now.

19. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Totally. It didn't made sense for a brand like TF that is still very much niche and today speaks to a much more restrained audience than during his Gucci days.
    His collections which are very Hits/Misses takes time to digest when Burberry can sell Trench-coats and separates pretty much anytime in a year...

I think he has understood the lesson and also his place in fashion right now. Despite being a 1billion business, he is much more of an Alaia right now in his place in the industry.

I'm very suprised by how the last few designers appointments has been discreet. Hedi at Celine or Riccardo at Burberry are done with much less fanfare than Demna at Balenciaga or Hedi at Saint Laurent.

No real big news, no logo redesign, no introduction campaign...

20. dodencebt

And here is our answer, fresh from this morning.

wwd.com