Riccardo Tisci Named Chief Creative Officer at Burberry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by mistress_f, Mar 1, 2018.

1. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Looks like Hermes tie motif.....

Well I do not hate it...

2. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

I'm so tired of big, over-hyped rebranding efforts. A new monogram - fine. A new logo? Not so much. It's silly, IMO. The logo was distinctive and memorable and recognizable. And as others have said, make sure the clothes are fresh and interesting first...the old logo would look great in any gorgeous garment...a new logo isn't going to save a poor garment. Plus, with creative directors lasting but two or three years now, full blown rebrands always feel very precarious and presumptious....it's like....oh.....you really want to invest in all new stores? Packaging? Labels? Leather goods debossing? Stationary? And all for a company that huge? OK.....good luck!

Plus, the redesign is quite limp, anyway...Saint Laurent? Balenciaga? These all now look the same.

jeanclaude, entten, orchidee and 5 others like this.
  3. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    All this brands spending MILLIONS to rebrand themselves to the end look like the same. Its literally the SAME font every damn time. I would be surprise if this is not a strategy to fool the consumer.

The monogram is good tho, it have energy. Lets see.

entten likes this.
  4. RedSmokeRise

RedSmokeRise Well-Known Member

Agree. What's going to happen when he inevitably leaves? Another 'iconic' rebranding. :ermm:

I actually really loved the knight logo - at least it was distinctive.

5. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

I just feel like after the Phoebe Philo's Celine, All the big brand are recreating their logo to a more subtle, minimalist typography logo.

jeanclaude and Frida like this.
  6. happycanadian

happycanadian Well-Known Member

I like the new logo, but honestly I couldn't care less until I see the actual CLOTHES. That's the thing that we need to see

7. disco54

disco54 Well-Known Member

I like the old logo, this seems very down market tbh.

jeanclaude likes this.
  8. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Yeah, this feels very department-store fodder. The type for the logo is just a slightly altered take of a well-known typeface that I’ve been using myself for some time LOOOL Oh Peter, a tad lazy, aren’t we????

Christopher’s rebranding initially was absolutely beautiful; from the stately campaigns to the regal logo. And the Prorsum knight logo embroidered tone-on-tone inside of certain pieces were that special touch of exclusivity that brings in a bit of extra luxury.

But all this department-store banality will be a non-issue if Riccardo's designs are strong. And going by the preview, it looks decent so far…

9. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

BTW, the monogram that's posted here is actually a 2-page spread (teaser?) ad that's running in the Sept issue of British Vogue LOL

10. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ Wait ... there was an apostrophe S?!

Can you really get rid of the old Burberry logo? (Or plaid?) I have it burned into the wood handles of multiple umbrellas, so it still lives in my world ;) I find the new pattern quite Gucci-esque and predict a short life for it. Burberry have never been horsey, have they? The logo's all right.

Benn98 likes this.
  11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The Business Times

12. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Judging by the relative success of their B-Series, i’m quite surprise to learn that the suits are skeptics...
    But I would rather see that than the arrogance from LVMH & Celine.

The price range will be very instrumental in the success of this new Burberry. If they maintained what it has been for years, great. If they goes into the extremes that was sometimes the Prorsum line...it will be more complicated.

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Also find their skepticism a bit odd, but I'm not sold on Tisci's entry. There was the palate cleansing collection which relied heavily on basics, the logo, his debut which looked solid to be honest, a lengthy strretch (in fashion terms) of nothing after that, Cara's campaign by Teller, and now the Westwood collab. That's a decent amount of opportunities for the publicity machine. My problem with all these moves though is that it's not hyped enough for Burberry by Tisci to remain on the forefront of fashion consumers, and that's problematic. Each and every time I read something about the brand, I only then realise Tisci is in fact in charge now. In an era where all the moneybag brands inhabit cult pockets in pop culture, the question is, is there space for the new Burberry? I think with time, yes. His direction could be fine tuned more into something unique. But not with a bunch of suits breathing down your neck. And the situation at Calvin Klein will magnify the scenario and pressure at Burberry for Tisci. He needs more time. Two years! Same amount of time it takes to perfect Parmesan.

entten and Lola701 like this.
  14. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

What is the point of this article? If the suits wants that this works so shut up! He just started for gods sake!

15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I think that they expected that the news of Riccardo at Burberry would have an impact on sales...
    It’s kinda stupid and pointless. The last few Bailey’s collections weren’t great. The products are not desirable at all...
    If it didn’t sell before, it’s not going to happen now.

As you asked Ghostwriter10549, what’s the point of making those statements when his debut collection will only hit the stores in 2 months?

entten and ghostwriter10549 like this.
  16. donyan

donyan Active Member

"At this stage, our strategic focus is on igniting brand heat -- starting with influencers and key opinion leaders, which will cascade to all consumers --
    this sentence embodies everything that is wrong with Fashion today , and which might eventually be the downfall of all these brands .

Bahiyya, jeanclaude, Frida and 4 others like this.
  17. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

^ Right?! Instead of focusing on desirable products that will resonate with customers, their sole strategy is getting influencers and key opinion leaders to flaunt the products in order to make customers think they're desirable. It's abominable.

18. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

The fact that brands like Burberry has lots of costumers (especially Chinese...) which look for the items from the pictures of the Influencers and KOL... They know the brands because of them and they only buy items with Logo or the same as those celebrities, KOL... I know it's sad, but that's how they work for Burberry and they don't think about long terms sales.

19. donyan

donyan Active Member

DOES it work though? I mean if it did, would they have to re-launch/re-boot/re-logo everything? Do people really prefer a desperate brand over a desirable or just effortlessly cool one?

20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I think this may have been part of the deal. That his name and following would carry the hype until the clothes hit the stores. Not to rile anyone up, but before Virgil, Tisci was the star designer du jour with his streetsyle sensibilities.