Riccardo Tisci Named Chief Creative Officer at Burberry

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by mistress_f, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I guess...but seriously, it’s maybe because i’m not a logo person but it’s very tacky. And in the stores, you got the feeling that it’s the only thing they are selling.
    But I think Riccardo has the authority to connect with a younger audience...

I saw it with people around me who wanted to buy the pieces from the B-Series.

As you said, he was the star du jour and he is more than that to me.
    He is the one who unfortunately gave birth to a lot of talentless designers: Jerry Lorenzo, Virgil Abloh...etc. He made some people believe that luxury can be a printed T-shirt and the luxury-streetwear thing is totally because of him. The magic is that his early Givenchy collections looks relevant today.

2. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

^I remember people getting worked up about his Helmut rip-offs now and then. We all were so innocent back then, had we known that Virgil and Demna were coming our way...

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

You couldn't have said it any better. Question is though, can he replicate the above for Burberry? Because I very much doubt they've hired him for his craft or skill. This is the problem when you polarise the hip scene. Money will be thrown at you to repeat it over and over like an automaton. It's like someone headhunting Alesssndo Michele in the hopes that he could deliver the same Gucci-type results. Delusional.

This type of fashion was never to my taste, but I can understand it because it in a cultural sense. The shift from literal luxury. Like I said I don't get it because I became of age and my perception of luxury started when production value formed a huge part of the final product. If you're going to sell a graffitied Gucci tshirt to me then the cotton better have been spun by emancipated Catholic Nuns. A logo isn't enough to warrant a purchase. That's not what fashion should be about.

4. YohjiAddict

He really was the whole package at one point, unattainable and ethereal couture for the magazines and an LVMH executive wet dream for the stores, all those tacky t-shirts selling like pancakes.

So succesful that I think he deserves the Cerulean Award for Worst Trickle Down of the Decade, that stars t-shirt he did is still mandatory uniform for many gangsta wannabes.

Let's see how far he gets at Burberry...

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Ahahahaha...That’s the same thing LVMH is trying to replicate with one of their old glory at what was, at one point, a cult brand...

If Riccardo went to Versace and did what he did for Givenchy, I would have said yes! He can replicate it and it’s going to be successful.

At Burberry, I find it weird. It’s very pragmatic, even too pragmatic in a way. The fact that he has to design what Bailey failed to do (believable streetwear) makes the whole thing a bit unstable.

But I think Burberry under Riccardo will be a success. Maybe not a smash hit, but a moderate, satisfying success. Something à la Nicolas for Vuitton: very pragmatic, product oriented and with a decent amount of fashion drama to feed the critics.
    Those are two designers who did magic for then-hopeless houses and who are now tested in their capacities to design for the masses.

Benn98 and YohjiAddict like this.
  6. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Active Member

is a moderate success enough to satisfy the shareholders? in a different company that would be ok but at burberry i think the shareholders are expecting more

Benn98 likes this.
  7. Creative

Creative Well-Known Member

I feel like his first collection for Burberry had zero hype, is it just me? :ermm:

Frida and Benn98 like this.
  8. YohjiAddict

^You're right! Hedi stole his thunder...maybe next time.

Frida and Benn98 like this.
  9. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

It was quite understated, maybe too much so. It was good, but far too safe. On one end of the spectrum you had a bloody horror show (Celine) and on the other you had a blink and miss debut (Burberry). Which one took all the thunder?

Benn98 and entten like this.
  10. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

That article almost feels like a smear. His collection hasn't arrived fully in stores yet and they are already publishing an article on a skeptical tone..What did Tisci do for such a harsh critic? It is the same in 2005-2006 when he just started his career in Givenchy.

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Maybe HM will help interim sales with her headscarf and knee blanket carried by her aide, lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Vogue.com

jeanclaude and Vitamine W like this.
  12. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

That's just the type of client everyone wants to sell to. :p

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

To be fair, these pics were taken from American Vogue. Sure it won't ever land up on Hypebeast, which is probably where Burberry want to be.

14. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I'll take your word about the blanket, I'd never have thought that was Burberry. Can it be that he's too subtle?! (OK, after seeing the new trenches, I don't really think that.)

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Burberry Pulls “Creepy” Chinese New Year Photos From WeChat Campaign After Online Backlash

Yiling Pan @SiennaPan
    January 10, 2019

[​IMG]

Here is how British high fashion has altered its Chinese Lunar New Year campaign message after its "creepy" family portrait photos met online backlash.

On Thursday, Burberry pushed out a WeChat post on its official channel, named “Burberry Modern New Year (摩登新禧).” It was the same ad campaign done by the American photographer Ethan James Green and released last week, only with two heatedly-discussed family portraits, which some Chinese users had likened to Asian horror movies, missing.

Actresses Vicky Zhao and Zhou Dongyu were now the main cast, donning Burberry’s signature items. Other Asian models posed to showcase some typical family relationships — “kinship,” “brotherhood” and “generations.” The brand also unveiled a specially designed “The Belt” handbag in red to welcome the festival. The end of the post links to Burberry’s mini-program WeChat store, encouraging readers to directly place orders.

In less than 24 hours since its release, the post has been viewed more than 40,000 times. It signals how much attention has been placed on Burberry by Chinese consumers, who keenly waited to see how the brand would react to the previous drama. On social media, some users had complained that Burberry misunderstood both the importance and nature of Chinese Lunar New Year.

Though the brand hasn’t, so far, released an official statement in response to Chinese netizens’ criticism, it seems apparent Burberry heard the online sentiment right and well. And out of fear of losing Chinese consumers, it decided to comply, making it the latest case to illustrate the huge reliance of luxury brands on this market.

Burberry’s business exposure to China and Chinese nationals have reached historical highs. According to a recent research note by Morgan Stanley, Chinese nationals contributed to around 40 percent of sales to Burberry, while 29 percent of sales were generated in the Greater China region.

Jingdaily.com

16. entten

entten Member

sorry but where is that creepy? am i blind?

kenndale and Nomar like this.
  17. Koibito

Koibito Active Member

Me too. I don't find it creepy at all. I guess it because in Chinese or any country that celebrate lunar new year, the atmosphere and the people should be happy, colorful, smile etc. But the ad campaign is too, well, edgy, pale, and lack of smiles.

18. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

As someone who celebrates Chinese New Year, I don't find it creepy but I don't find it joyous. It's more like a modern, edgy family portraits that doesn't bring any joy to the table. Burberry was never a cold brand, it always exudes warmth and friendliness. I want to see how his aesthetics will evolve because this doesn't cut it.

19. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

As someone who celebrates Chinese New Year, I don't find it creepy but I don't find it joyous. It's more like a modern, edgy family portraits that doesn't bring any joy to the table. Burberry was never a cold brand, it always exudes warmth and friendliness. I want to see how his aesthetics will evolve because this doesn't cut it.

20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Especially when you consider what they've done for the UK in the past. Now that I think of iit, the last holiday campaign was also very cold, still, and heavily styled. Can't say the same about the ones with the Beckham child, or that cinematic one with Sienna Miller and Lily James.