Richard And Eddy Chai

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score

Chai Tree
New York
The Sozzani and Sykes siblings are well-known fashion sister acts. This fall, brothers Richard and Eddy Chai are showing their own dynastic desires with two separate ventures.
With the industry working hard to define the next generation of American designers, Richard Chai is a label many have been expecting. After five years as Marc Jacobs' design director and two years at the helm of TSE, Chai finally felt ready to start his own womenswear line, which he debuts this weekend in the Bryant Park tents. Previewing his collection for JC Report in his sprawling Tribeca atelier, the signs show that Chai is entering the business with big plans and on "very personal terms," he explains. Buoyed by the success of his final TSE collection, which found his pieces on everyone from Kate Hudson to Oprah to the cast of Sex and the City, Chai's debut collection is a fusing of cool femininity and urban practicality that he hopes will have equally broad appeal. Look for a play with structure and fluidity, where dressmaker fabrics offset hard tailoring in pants and jackets, further softened by skirts and tops of silk georgette, satin, and cotton. Comparisons to his former employers will undoubtedly crop up, but what we can expect is a design language steeped in ideas the designer has been itching to show on his terms.
Brother Eddy's route into fashion via graphic design was decidedly less direct — but as co-owner of Odin New York, a two-week-old East Village menswear lifestyle store — he's making his own impression on the industry. "The East Village needs it, there only seems to be vintage clothes for men here," says Eddy. And his very clear designs on what he believes men of the East Village and New York need doesn't involve clobbering them over the head with fashion. The masculine lifestyle that Chai proposes is a fine line between the wearable and the fashionable, and the result is an eclectic mix of elite sportswear brands (Unis, Nice Collective, Salvage, Penguin}, hard to find colognes and skincare lines (Korres skin, Beth Terry, and Sharps) and lifestyle accessories (Ross Menuez animal shaped pillows, Hurley sunglasses, and Kenzo Mirami watches) among a host of other little surprises throughout the clubby store interior.
The Chai tree grows new branches this fall.
-Jason Campbell

odin-ny

Last edited by a moderator:
odin...

richard chai preview-s/s 05

The Odin store is very nice. A great mix of more casual and sporty styles (printed tees and hoodies by Umbro by Kim Jones, Y3) as well as the Greige line that's kind of a dressed up casual, with interesting men's jewelry tossed into the mix. Also a nice selection of scents & home furnishings (Comme des Garçcons, etc), with quirkly items like cute decanters and incense holders as well as items with anime-themed designs like skateboards and cookie jars. A very casual air to it, but with quality pieces and a very friendly staff. For the NYers out there, think Camouflage Downtown mixed with Mxyplzyk. Definitely keeping them in my list of things to keep checking out.

/\ That's it. They retail at Odin for $145, which is cheaper than buying it in London itself, ironically. It's cute - at $145, not too much to think about.

hmm...thanks for the report bakla...
that sweatshirt reminds me of some things from 1984...
except it wouldn't have a hood in the 80's...but a zip at the neckline...:lol:

should look cute on you...:flower:

softgrey said:
hmm...thanks for the report bakla...
that sweatshirt reminds me of some things from 1984...
except it wouldn't have a hood in the 80's...but a zip at the neckline...:lol:

should look cute on you...:flower:
It's VERY 1984, which is why I bought it - with the sleeves unhooked, it looks rather "Thriller!" :wink:

may I have the phone number to odin? yea i guess i would just buy it from there instead of browns. whats the sizing like on those kim jones sweaters?

baklanyc said:
It's VERY 1984, which is why I bought it - with the sleeves unhooked, it looks rather "Thriller!" :wink:
:lol: ... ^_^

Here's a link to their men.style.com article:Odin

But here it is in full: from men.style.com

00010h.jpg

Odin
A welcome addition to a neighborhood full of pawed-over vintage shops, Odin was opened last fall by two guys with a twenty-first century aesthetic: Eddy Chai, a freelance art director, and Paul Birardi, who previously worked for Coach and Barneys. Inside the store, which is named for the ruling god of Norse mythology, you'll find Comme des Garçons shoes, sportswear by Trovata, Kim Jones for Umbro, and Y-3, plus handcrafted fashions from Greige, and the under-the-radar Noah line. And coming soon, promises Chai, is a line of Odin T-shirts designed in collaboration with local artists. The back of the store is reserved for lifestyle products like the homeopathic Greek grooming line Korres, Dalek skate decks, and, of all things, anime-themed cookie jars.

328 East 11th St., New York, (212) 475-0666
Photo: Courtesy of Odin

thanks bakla...looks too nice to be the east village...:lol:

softgrey said:
thanks bakla...looks too nice to be the east village...:lol:
Well, at least the EV as it used to be! Would you believe, it's occupying the old Sandobe Sushi space? I thought that was really funny, because I loved Sandobe! I wonder though if this store deserves its own thread? It's certainly very much it's own thing - kind of like a European version of Barneys Co-Op, but with a "neo-American Arena magazine" point of view. I found it to be quite refreshing as a store concept, and quite accessible. Like the sportswear equivalent of Atelier. I would return to check on them again.

Is there any other place in NYC that carries Kim Jones? I keep seeing pics of these sheer sweatshirts KJ did in Wonderful Colours but no one seems to carry them anywhere, nowhere, i'm sad and depressed now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->