Richard Quinn F/W 2022.23 London

Still hasn't evolved, seasons later. It's still very reminiscent of Demna's Balenciaga Spring Summer 2017. Also in the mix is Pierpaolo's Valentino with the volumes and colour palette and that silk-tafetta which he is so obsessed with.

What is with the one random gimp suit? It's so annoying and pretentious. Either commit to that theme and work on it through the collection in an interesting and convincing way, or don't put it in at all.

I think we are finally reaching the point where these "brands" will slowly start disappointing. It looks so intensely like Balenciaga that I really wonder what the actual hell he was thinking. Again, no different than any other seasons.

His granny floral prints, now mixed with some fetichism Thierry Mugler touches (the hats with holes for the eyes, the SDM vinyl pieces...); and some looks straight from Viktor & Rolf last couture collection (with some volumes from Valentino by Piccioli).

Ok...but who is Richard Quinn? The only thing I know about him as a designer is that he loves granny floral prints...

9a901da607b82c75e9bbce566cdc9e0b.jpg

pinterest

Quinn, alongside many other London designers and a fair few from New York, have a knack for designing themselves into a corner. I partly blame the praise they seem to get from those around them, but also social media and the current slew of fashion-philes demanding for MOMENTS. So many stunts and gimmicks yet it lacks originality. Of course the likes of Alex Fury are fawning over this...

Everything he does uses so. Much. Fabric. He needs to look at a design and ask himself "is this necessary?" considering he also does so many exact replications. Sometimes having one or two variations of the same design with slight alterations (length, fabric, fit, collars, sleeves etc.) shows more versatility than say five or six exact copies. It shows a narrow-mindedness and Quinn's shortcomings when there's so many of the same.

Matronly, awkward and gimmicky. The idea of the hoods should have been discarded the moment it was put on a fit model…doesn’t he realize that all the models wearing said garments look absolutely miserable?

“He doesn’t dress women, he upholsters them!”

To be honest, I would feel so ashamed sending out this collection if I was him simply because it looks like a Demna for Balenciaga tribute collection and has done so for the last several of seasons. He’s now thrown in some Mugler for some good measure. He’s not even particularly shy about copying other designers and collections.

Like so many designers of recent, they are remixers … not composers. The thing is, the current fashion industry does not even seem to really call out the copying or laziness or push these new designers and houses to grow/evolve with a bit of harsh critique so why would Richard Quinn or any other designer grow if not only their bubble is telling them they are great, but the professionals as well ?

Wow, he wasn't kidding when he started imitating Balenciaga!

Agree with everyone here. This is pretty lazy at this point.

Even Irina S. looks less than thrilled to be wearing that ugly outfit.

Wonder if the show’s stylist was Lota something from Balenciaga?!

Let's be honest. The only reason why this brand is allowed to exist is because Dior and McQueen are tomboy × activist × old lady galore and John Galliano, the modern-day master of dramatic feminine eveningwear, is trapped designing CSM graduate collections for Margiela.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->