Rihanna Launches 'Fenty' with LVMH *Update February 2021* Now Closing the Luxury Brand

This could be interesting depending on how she plays it. LVMH needs something glamorous and edgy. Hopefully Arnault will give her free reign. We don't need another Clare or worse, MCG.

The only good thing about this is that it might create an opportunity for young designers.
If it’s in Kenzo’s price range, it might be interesting.

Other than that, tired of those celebrities lines. I’m against putting people in a box but what’s next? Fenty Architecture?

Am I really the only one who loved the logo? I think it's really cool

WWD answers some of your questions:

Rihanna and LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton have officially confirmed they are going into the fashion business together under the Fenty banner.

The pop star and the French luxury giant issued a brief statement saying the new luxury maison would be based in Paris.

It will be “centered on Rihanna, developed by her, and takes shape with her vision in terms of ready-to-wear, shoes and accessories, including commerciality and communication of the brand.”

The release mentioned the collection would debut for spring 2019, but did not detail the distribution strategy or precise timing.

It is understood the products will be released in the coming weeks, mainly via digital channels. The statement spelled out a web domain — fenty.com — and revealed the logo.

Rihanna pointed to a new Instagram account for the house on her @badgirlriri feed and it amassed more than 65,000 followers by 10 a.m. EST. It has no posts yet.

“Everybody knows Rihanna as a wonderful singer, but through our partnership at Fenty Beauty, I discovered a true entrepreneur, a real ceo and a terrific leader. She naturally finds her full place within LVMH. To support Rihanna to start up the Fenty Maison, we have built a talented and multicultural team supported by the group resources. I am proud that LVMH is leading this venture and wish it will be a great success,” said Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive officer of LVMH.

For her part, Rihanna said, “Designing a line like this with LVMH is an incredibly special moment for us. Mr. Arnault has given me a unique opportunity to develop a fashion house in the luxury sector, with no artistic limits. I couldn’t imagine a better partner both creatively and business-wise, and I’m ready for the world to see what we have built together.”

WWD broke the news on Jan. 17 that the high-profile project was in the works, as LVMH had already handpicked a clutch of employees from within, including some from Louis Vuitton and Celine, to work in tandem with Rihanna and some of her key associates. Among them are Veronique Gebel, previously rtw director at Louis Vuitton, according to market sources.

This marks the first time LVMH — whose forte is modernizing legacy brands like Dior, Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Bulgari and Dom Pérignon — has launched a fashion brand from scratch since it set up a couture house for Christian Lacroix in 1987.

Rihanna boasts more than 70 million followers on Instagram, and is expected to release new music some time this year.

Rihanna’s proximity to LVMH stretches back to at least 2015. After attending shows for Christian Dior, one of Arnault’s most treasured fashion properties, she appeared in “Secret Garden IV,” a campaign and short film shot by Steven Klein inside Versailles. It featured her in Dior sunglasses, carrying the brand’s bags and wearing looks from the Esprit Dior collection.

A year later, she created a range of futuristic sunglasses in collaboration with Dior as part of her brand ambassadorship. Earlier this year, she test drove a pair with her Fenty brand splashed across the temples, dropping a colossal hint about the upcoming project with LVMH.

Rihanna has demonstrated a serious interest in, and influence on, fashion — along with formidable design chops and acute instincts — with her tenure as the creative director of Puma, energizing the German activewear brand with her Fenty by Puma project, and following it up with successful forays into beauty and lingerie — the former with LVMH-controlled Kendo; the latter with California-based TechStyle Fashion Group.

Kendo, which functions as an incubator making products that end up being retailed by LVMH’s Sephora perfumery chain and other outposts, signed on Rihanna in 2016. Her Fenty Beauty products racked up sales north of $100 million in a matter of weeks, and was hailed as a transformative brand.

The brand generated revenues of about 500 million euros last year, LVMH said during a recent conference call.

For LVMH, the Rihanna line signals a further move outside its comfort zone as it continues to diversify its holdings, having recently invested $2.6 billion in luxury travel operator Belmond Ltd., owner of the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express train and hotels including the Copacabana Palace in Rio de Janeiro.

Rihanna’s talent, charisma and beauty have made her a favorite of fashion designers worldwide. The Barbados native has previously modeled for Gucci, Emporio Armani and Balmain.

She made her debut in design in 2013 with British high-street brand River Island, creating a collection of clothing and accessories.

wwd.com

I could have sworn there was a shorter article on WWD before this one today where they said the brand would follow the marketing and sales strategy of luxury brands but be contemporary priced so Rihanna's fanbase can buy the merchandise, but I can't find it anymore. It also said the brand will mostly focus on digital sales.

If she said she was going to give up music, go away and work under other designers, try and develop her own vision etc, then I'd give her the benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous. It's one thing for a celebrity to put their name to a brand and do a collaboration - running a luxury house isn't even in the same universe. How does she have any concept of design or any concrete ideas of her own? Just because you take risks with fashion and have good style doesn't mean you can be a designer. Her fans are stupid if they think she'll be doing anything other than taking credit for other people's work.

I could have sworn there was a shorter article on WWD before this one today where they said the brand would follow the marketing and sales strategy of luxury brands but be contemporary priced so Rihanna's fanbase can buy the merchandise, but I can't find it anymore. It also said the brand will mostly focus on digital sales.

I'm positive this will be an "affordable" luxury brand. They're definitely banking on her mass and millennial appeal here, there's no point of making it an upper luxury price point when the clientele is not there.

we're in a really strange moment in culture and in fashion. It's kind of depressing to think a lot of the most high profile labels to emerge in the past decade have been connected to celebrities, most of whom lack any actual training. To be a designer today you don't have to train or even sketch or sew and can get massive capital injections and backing from conglomerates. There just seems to be a growing gap between the modern 'fashion designer' with the social media following and the famous friends, and the actual designer who still sketches, and sews and takes little more than a bow after their show.

To me, equating a celebrity with a clothing line with the artistry of an Alber or even a Hedi doesn't sit right.

I expect her brand to be like Karl Lagerfeld, a cash cow machine based on her image with maybe sometimes some fun products « conceived by her ».
She is obviously preparing her post-music career.
Unlike many celebrities, she will not have to tour or being committed to the stage (she is not really a stage person anyway).

I guess that in the future, Fenty beauty will be more than make-up...

I prefer laughing at this news than crying. Being talented has no place in this world all that matters is how to know to sell to people. Virgil Abloh is a perfect example.

LVMH could have put their money in so many talents but to choose Rihanna just prove they really care about money. I don't blame them, this is a business. I just wish the business of fashion was centred on talent and creativity.

I’m not sure juggling a full time music career and a luxury fashion label is going to work well. I just wish her the best and hope she proves me wrong. I am only a mere fashion design student in college and it’s already overwhelming enough. I can’t imagine also trying to be an entertainer.

I love how all the judgements are already out before we have seen a single thing! Gotta love the positivity around here sometimes. Ofcourse I understand the worries, we all know Rihanna as a singer so it is a different situation. However, this does not have to mean her line is going to be bad. Maybe we should just wait before we seen something? Besides that, it is fairly impressive to finally see a black woman launching her OWN label. Go Rihanna!

I love how all the judgements are already out before we have seen a single thing! Gotta love the positivity around here sometimes. Ofcourse I understand the worries, we all know Rihanna as a singer so it is a different situation. However, this does not have to mean her line is going to be bad. Maybe we should just wait before we seen something? Besides that, it is fairly impressive to finally see a black woman launching her OWN label. Go Rihanna!

In all fairness, most of the debate centre around what the move represents and say about the fashion industry. I'm also not sure why you're putting her on a pedestal when you say it's impressive to 'finally' see a black woman launch her own label. Because what about Carly Cushnie, Tracy Reese?
Besides, I doubt whether her race and gender was a motivation for greenlighting this. But you may have just provided them with a very strong marketing angle, which I'm sure will be very profitable in today's climate.

She literally f**ks everyone who are educated in fashion schools. With fame and millions of followers she can do what one fashion designer fight for a decade or more. Celebrity fashion designers for me is a major NO.

In all fairness, most of the debate centre around what the move represents and say about the fashion industry. I'm also not sure why you're putting her on a pedestal when you say it's impressive to 'finally' see a black woman launch her own label. Because what about Carly Cushnie, Tracy Reese?
Besides, I doubt whether her race and gender was a motivation for greenlighting this. But you may have just provided them with a very strong marketing angle, which I'm sure will be very profitable in today's climate.

Thank you. I was lazy to answer and you managed to express perfectly my thought :mohawk:

To say that I was pissed to know this is nothing. First things first - I have never seen Rihanna as a celeb style icon. She has a following and a good personal stylist, but I see her nowhere near celebs, who are REALLY committed to fashion. Asap Rocky - rap about fashion with nowhere near being basic, has style and was in fashion campaigns. Don’t even get me started on people like Gaga - she has a stylist, but you can tell she really cares about fashion, she at least has one song in each album dedicated to it. Rihanna? Hello, what?
Secondly, if this means more of her on covers - just kill me right now, please. I get it - Anna loves her, brands love her, millennials love her, but it’s her PR team’s talent, not her personal.
I did not intend to offend her fans here by any means, but I’d rather see Gigi Hadid launch her brand, than Rihanna.
And that logo? Let me not even talk about that as a person, who does branding and graphic design.

It’s not a question of positivity or the line being good or not.
To tell you, i love Rihanna but I don’t think it’s fair...But, fair is not a word suited for the fashion industry. For any industry for that matter.

Kudos to her because she took advantage of the system and managed to create something as big as her music in a short amount of time.

And to be honest, she did good by using her privilege to do this kind of project. It’s not like her white colleagues Mary Kate and Ashley or Victoria Beckham didn’t used it before...

And, i hate the « Black woman » thing
because black women didn’t wait for the validation of LVMH or whoever to launch their brand.
It’s like Virgil, he is not the first black man to be at the helm of a Parisian house. Oswald Boateng was.

It’s better when aknowledging this kind of news, to go beyond the « American bubble ».

That being said, I wish her the best as it will make Bernard Arnault richer and hopefully he will pay his taxes rightfully and I also hope that it will create opportunities for minorities in France who doesn’t necessarly have access to the top big brands.

I was not sure if I should reply again or not, as I don't want this to turn into a big discussion, and I DO see your point of views. I read them and recognize them. At the same time, this is the fashion industry we are talking about. When has this ever been a fair industry? How many people got their chances because of their name, family or connections. We are not talking about a Nobel prize or researches who are saying lives.

At the end of the day, Rihanna came from nothing. No famous family, no money, she is completely self-made. She has always had a passion for fashion and is not the first person who was famous for something else and build a big fashion house later (see: Victoria, Mary-Kate and Ashley) and in this industry, that is still dominated by (white) men, seeing a young woman start her own line, the first new line in like 30 years for LVHM, is inspiring to see and makes me hopeful that the industry will chance and become a place that is more fair.

I honestly hope I do not come off as a crazy stan, which I am very certain not, it just bothers me that people have such views without seeing anything or are talking as if this woman got handled everything on a plate. She has been working her *** off for over 12 years now and is showing the industry that you can be a singer, actress and business woman at the same time.

Fendi and Fenty under the same conglomerate? Hilarious misunderstandings will ensue. :lol:

Apparently it's her name but I said from the beginning it sounded like some sort of brand of counterfeit goods. :lol: Like Cuggi.

Is there really anything to say about this? I already gave up on fashion as an industry with any sort significant creative and artistic output (an idea i used to defend in quite some heated discussions ) we are at bottom of the barrel stuff.

I don't think most of us are trying to discredit Rihanna or discourage her ambitions as a designer. There is just a lot of uncertainty when it comes to celebrities launching fashion projects because most of them haven't done the proper education or training in design. A lot of them haven't even learned the business aspect sufficiently enough, which is a basic requirement for designers and design students. Does Rihanna seem genuine in her efforts with LVMH? So far she does but execution is different than words. We will see.

I guess also that it can feel like a slap in the face to people who work half their lives to make a break in fashion. I am personally not upset but I understand the resentment or frustration. Fashion is one of the most difficult industries to break into and celebrities really just have to use their connections and finances to get any corporation's attention. Not only that, the exposure that a celebrity brings is irresistible to any corporate entity. It's unfair but it's the way the system.

It also sounds crass or politically incorrect to say but I have to believe a lot of this has to do with token diversity and conglomerates capitalizing off of socio-political outrage in recent times. I myself am a minority but I want to be hired at a fashion house only if someone thinks it's appropriate for me - not because I am Asian or part of the LGBT community. However, I think businesses are doing exactly just that.

Sorry if my answer is confusing or longwinded. I'm trying to explain the best I can from my own perspective as a fashion designer and student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->