Rihanna Launches 'Fenty' with LVMH *Update February 2021* Now Closing the Luxury Brand

So basically what is happening here is that they've overestimated her reach? That just because she's universally liked, uber luxury shoppers will just hop on Fenty and buy? I just find it so mind-boggling that one of the largest fashion conglomerates in the world got themselves into such a rookie situation, and it actually speaks volumes because at the core it also means that they don't really know who the current luxury shopper is and what the deciding factors are.

This is what happens when marketing supersedes creativity. As for Rihanna, the fact that she got herself into this shows that it was never really about her creativity or allowing her brand to grow organically, it was just another side hustle. A way to cut corners and make a quick buck. Stick to music, love! Oh wait, wasn't the last album a flop?
High Fashion has a real cultural power and that alone is why, like Kanye, she decided to enter that world.
Celebrities doing fashion aren’t driven by creativity. It’s all ego, greed and influence...

To LVMH’s credit, they have managed to create a legit beauty mini-empire with Fenty while using all their ressources so I can understand, while in the heat of success, they decided to extend to fashion.

I think that in this case, the issue might be more from Rihanna. From what I know, Fenty is some people from LVMH working under the direction of Rihanna and her stylist. And Rihanna has total creative control...
Considering that it’s all based on clothes Rihanna loved from others designers, it’s kinda difficult to sell. I don’t know if you have seen the items some people bought on YouTube but it’s very difficult to wear and quite limited to both a certain age range and even social activities.
I really think that if LVMH is more hands-on the designs it can work.

That being said you’re right about overestimating things. There’s a huge gap between her lingerie and beauty that sells a certain idea of accessibility and this that feels exclusive in every kind of way!

Anyone that has done celebrity partnerships before can attest to the fact that they are a large expense & highly variable in terms of driving actual conversion for the brand. In this case, LVMH invested millions in a celebrity who does not have the fanbase that will actually buy (or likely wear) the overpriced & ill-fitting clothing she "designed." Again, it is an emperor's new clothes scenario of what are probably a bunch of business analysts attempting to build desirability around a celebrity that likely shows up to press events for fans under the age of 35 that do not have $1,000 to drop on a dress or pair of shoes but will buy her music or a $30 bra with her name attached to it. In reality, LVMH's actual customer is like... Sutton from Real Housewives who commented "Fenty who? You mean Fendi?"

It's a dead end.

Rihanna is, firstly, selling records to 16-22 year olds who mostly wouldn't be able to afford LVMH.

She is also selling records to her core fanbase who are now somewhere between 30 and 45. Yes, they are a more likely demographic to be able to purchase LVMH but this same demographic, unlike the younger audience, are now paying mortgages, insurance and sending children to school.

They're not hanging out for the next Rihanna album as much as they used to be. Most of them probably wouldn't even dream of buying a VIP ticket to one of her concert. If this fringe group really appreciates LVMH fashion and has the money for it, chances are they already own LVMH pieces without the need to be encouraged by some marketing gimmick. If there are fans of Rihanna who are in this latter tier I described, they should be utterly ashamed if they cannot see through this superficial farce.

It's pathetic.

Last edited:
High Fashion has a real cultural power and that alone is why, like Kanye, she decided to enter that world.
Celebrities doing fashion aren’t driven by creativity. It’s all ego, greed and influence...

To LVMH’s credit, they have managed to create a legit beauty mini-empire with Fenty while using all their ressources so I can understand, while in the heat of success, they decided to extend to fashion.

I think that in this case, the issue might be more from Rihanna. From what I know, Fenty is some people from LVMH working under the direction of Rihanna and her stylist. And Rihanna has total creative control...
Considering that it’s all based on clothes Rihanna loved from others designers, it’s kinda difficult to sell. I don’t know if you have seen the items some people bought on YouTube but it’s very difficult to wear and quite limited to both a certain age range and even social activities.
I really think that if LVMH is more hands-on the designs it can work.

That being said you’re right about overestimating things. There’s a huge gap between her lingerie and beauty that sells a certain idea of accessibility and this that feels exclusive in every kind of way!

So wait, do they have a stake in the beauty arm of Fenty as well? I didn't know that! Why not just focus on Fenty Beauty and add in a broader skincare range and maybe fragrances? They could do that with their eyes closed because she's already established herself in that market.

So wait, do they have a stake in the beauty arm of Fenty as well? I didn't know that! Why not just focus on Fenty Beauty and add in a broader skincare range and maybe fragrances? They could do that with their eyes closed because she's already established herself in that market.
Fenty Beauty & Skin are part of LVMH’s beauty incubator named Kendo. They also own Marc Jacobs and unlike all the flagships beauty brands of the group ( Dior, Givenchy...etc), they aren’t luxury focused. They are younger with a more digital friendly approach but they also cater to a younger demographic.

After the overwhelming success of Fenty Beauty, LVMH proposed to Rihanna to launch a clothing line using the same approach. Like Fenty Beauty/Skin, it is digital focused, build around the persona of Rihanna and sells a contemporary product with an aura of « modern luxury ». Fenty beauty is sold at the places as the LVMH brands with less budget and a less agressive marketing approach (The name Rihanna itself attracts the press).

They tried to do the same with Fenty by calling the simple brand « Maison Fenty », by having the pop-up at very prestigious places and with a slick packaging for a honest contemporary product.

They saw FENTY as an opportunity to expand the success of the beauty line to build a 360 product that covers the whole spectrum of the industry ( you saw, they launched the accessories with the clothes). For me the problem is purely creative anyway.

And I’m sure they will launch a perfume line soon. I can see them going for the CK One approach: versatile, inclusive, unisex...You know, all the usual marketing words used everywhere right now!

So basically what is happening here is that they've overestimated her reach? That just because she's universally liked, uber luxury shoppers will just hop on Fenty and buy? I just find it so mind-boggling that one of the largest fashion conglomerates in the world got themselves into such a rookie situation, and it actually speaks volumes because at the core it also means that they don't really know who the current luxury shopper is and what the deciding factors are.

This is what happens when marketing supersedes creativity. As for Rihanna, the fact that she got herself into this shows that it was never really about her creativity or allowing her brand to grow organically, it was just another side hustle. A way to cut corners and make a quick buck. Stick to music, love! Oh wait, wasn't the last album a flop?

Not a Rihanna stan but let's not rewrite history. Her last album was wildly successful, spending 200 weeks on the billboard 200. It had 5 Grammy nominations and broke a record as having the most no. 1 singles on the Dance Club Songs chart in history.

As for the clothing, the pricing and marketing is waaaay off.

I just saw the clothes and accessories in the web page, expecting some sort of Banana Republic, GAP even Calvin Klein's mall price range but I left very confused, I saw jackets over 1,000, denim shorts for over 200, shoes over 600 USD... who is supposed to be the target for this? Rihanna fans? Hummm... ok.

I just saw the clothes and accessories in the web page, expecting some sort of Banana Republic, GAP even Calvin Klein's mall price range but I left very confused, I saw jackets over 1,000, denim shorts for over 200, shoes over 600 USD... who is supposed to be the target for this? Rihanna fans? Hummm... ok.
The target wasn't her fans as her influence seemed broader but ultimately, the people who might get into this before anyone else are the fans...And they can't afford it.
To have seen the items up-clothes, they do not deserve CK, GAP or Banana Republic prices. It's really well made and contemporary....I would say Jacquemus, T by Alexander Wang prices.

Anyone that understands luxury fashion even from an outsider's point of view saw this coming. Rihanna is a red carpet favorite and looks good in high fashion but the people they are trying to attract wih those cuts and prices doesn't really care about pop stars however popular. Many luxury clients want value for their money which includes longevity which unfortunately doesn't apply to celebrity or even the styles they are carrying which are more hype based. This was a missed opportunity for a talented female designer of colour to break a glass ceiling but they blew it. Now anyone that comes after will be viewed in the eyes of the Fenty aftermath. Thet should have just done a limited edition capsule collection with staples that people would clamour for just because of the exclusivity, Beyonce played it better with her Ivy Park / Adidas collabo which sold out due to some really good marketing.

I wonder why LVMH decided to place the brand in a luxury segment. The success of Savage x Fenty lingerie comes from being quite affordable, well designed and pretty diverse in a way that everyone might find a good piece in their size.

true, Rihanna is known as the queen of inclusivity and good quality at a good price all 3 which don't exactly work in luxury.

true, Rihanna is known as the queen of inclusivity and good quality at a good price all 3 which don't exactly work in luxury.
But the twist is that Luxury for Fenty fashion is more used as a marketing tool. LVMH does not sell Fast Fashion (even if sometimes they used their practices).

I think the problem is that in the US, luxury is associated with certain things and in some way those kind of prices means « luxury » in some communities, including the black one.

From an European POV, you wouldn’t place Fenty near Stella Jean, Oswald Boateng or even Imane Ayissi...Who are Black and doing luxury.

But your comment made me think...Maybe she can use Fenty as a hub of talents. We all know she can’t design but she can use the platform and ressources of Fenty to give a opportunity to some talents. It’s not a flop yet ( the see now buy now, season-less approach is clever in terms of logistics).

I must add that her lingerie line is not handle by LVMH.

LVMH finally figured out that her fan base couldn't afford her "luxury" crap,
and that people with real money, prefer to spend it on real luxury, from real designers.
The fact that they tried to create a "House of Fenty", in the same category as Dior, and Chanel, was always gonna end in tears, and laughter.

Not sad that another celebrity brand selling bad ill fitted clothes with no proper DNA and with high prices is closing. Much more the opposite.

It will be nice to have a big cleanse because there are too many brands useless in the industry which contribute to nothing but polluting the Earth and my eyes.

Always lovely to see people slagging off a talented and incredible woman, but what's new on this forum.

I am a bit surprised to see this, as it seemed to be doing well, but at the same time my first reaction was 'omg, more time for music'. And she will surely be busy enough with all her other business ventures.

I am a bit surprised to see this, as it seemed to be doing well, but at the same time my first reaction was 'omg, more time for music'. And she will surely be busy enough with all her other business ventures.

Actually, Fenty had been cursed since its inception two years ago to the day of closing. I believe the sales were relatively low due to the price point and the overall aesthetic of the brand. Hence, I'm not surprised at all that LVMH wanted to end this disaster as soon as possible. What's more, I feel like Patou will be the next brand to close.

Always lovely to see people slagging off a talented and incredible woman, but what's new on this forum.

The fact that she is talented as a singer does not mean she could also be talented as a fashion designer.

As for the brand, well it was dead from the very beginning of it all. Still wondering why they used the name "FENTY" when it sounds like a cheap Fendi imitation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kancuk24
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->