RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by jexxica, Jun 8, 2018.

1. jexxica

jexxica Moderator

cnn

So sad! Also for Asia Argento.

2. KateTheGreatest

KateTheGreatest Well-Known Member

This is so sad.

3. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

:cry::heart:

I'm so bummed that he took this (probably not sober) decision. It always sounds so insincere to say someone famous was an inspiration but I really felt inspired and encouraged to explore just watching his shows and watching the way he approached cultures and food, never in this disrespectful way, entering like a colonizer into "odd" and not entirely safe territory or even with insufferable cheesiness like walking into a rainbow and it's all so extraordinary and ethereal and therefore not ordinary life... the way many shows about travel before him (and after) did.. he just made you appreciate the trace of humans and how it's all magnified in the food they cook and the way they gather around it and get to know each other and how we're never really foreigners...

It was that way of humanizing others, listening to their experience in complex regions and showing how, no matter what their struggles are, they're still regular people trying to make their best out of life and hardly losing the ability to enjoy it what as a younger person gave me maaaajor wanderlust.. I'd always watch his shows and think 'man I want to do that one day'.. and when I first just wandered off to the end of the world on my own (and fyi got lost..), I realised it was infinitely better than what he showed because you cannot capture that in television. I still find out about places I never even thought of visiting through him (Kurdistan) and his show is still part of basic research when visiting a new place for me and everyone I know. My favorite 'Anthony Bourdain effect' memory is riding this bumpy af cab in the middle of a dust storm in Bukhara last year, with an Italian guy, and we were both in silence.. just staring at a bunch of little stands along the road that had ceremonial (wedding?) stuff and I was like 'did you see...' and he immediately said 'that anthony bourdain episode? YEAH!'. :lol:

Hope he has a good journey :heart::heart:, the least understood of them all.

4. crosidan

crosidan New Member

beyond devastating, No Reservations helped me overcome my depression and anxiety during the summer of 2008 and i'll always be grateful to Anthony Bourdain for that. in loving memory, goodnight Anthony.

5. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

This was truly sad news to wake up to this morning. I've loved his shows both No Reservations and Parts Unknown. I learned a lot on his shows! He will be missed. Rest in peace.

6. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Well-Known Member

So sad... Such an interesting person. I hope he's found the peace he was after. :heart: