RIP Oribe Canales

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by ivano, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

It's a devastating day for both the fashion and beauty worlds. Legendary hairstylist and brand creator, Oribe Canales, who was professionally known as just "Oribe," has passed away at the age of 62.

His longtime friend and makeup artist, Mary Greenwell, was one of the first people to speak out about Canales passing, which she did in a heartbreaking tribute post on her personal Instagram account early this morning, December 17. "ORIBE is one of the great ‘original’ hairdressers whose iconic status grew along side the supermodels of the 80’ and 90’," she wrote. "He was a brilliant hairdresser and simply adored by all." As the news spreads, more old friends and colleagues are taking to social media to express their love and appreciation for the icon.

When Allure reached out to the Oribe hair-care brand for comment, we were told: "Oribe was an amazing hairdresser and friend and will be missed. Out of respect for his partner, Zaki, and his family, we have no further comment at this time."

Canales was a true trailblazer in the fashion and beauty industry. Not only did he create hairstyles backstage for some of the biggest fashion shows in the '80s and '90s — many will remember that he was the mastermind behind the hair for Marc Jacob's famous grunge collection that turned the tide of fashion in the early '90s — but he also contributed his genius to nearly every major fashion and beauty magazine in the world (...) inspiring readers and burgeoning hairstylists alike.

Before founding his bespoke hair-care line, Oribe, in 2008, Canales, was also a highly revered editorial and celebrity hairstylist whose roster of clients included the likes of Jennifer Lopez — with whom he worked with for a decade — Lady Gaga, Cher, Kate Moss, Barbra Streisand, and myriad more.

Most recently, the Cuban-born American hairstylist was splitting his time between his homes in Miami, where his namesake salon is located, and New York City. He will be deeply missed by all. Members of the fashion and beauty industry are taking to their social media accounts to express their condolence, as well as their sadness over his passing, including nail artist Elle, and stylist Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele.

Kaleigh Fasanella for Allure

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

What a shock!
    It’s devastating...
    He was one of the figures who made me love fashion because of his creativity and his commitment to glamour.
    A genius!
    RIP

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Wow, tremendous loss! His contribution to CM magazines is immeasurable. And probably the last of the power hair stylists in fashion. I've always preferred his print work more than what he did with celebs. As great as the duo sounded, he really didn't do Jennifer Lopez any favours..

Anyway, saddened by this. R.I.P. and condolences to his family and loved once. Will truly be missed.

4. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I got goose bumps seeing this thread title!

WHAT!!

What a talent, I will never forget reading about his infamous incident with La Evangelista when he put petrol in her hair :rofl: and it was a whole scandal. He battled addiction back then, so I hope it's not what took him in the end. Doesn't matter either way, huge fan of his work, he will be missed.

RIP

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

An absolute legend, a total loss.

sixtdaily likes this.
  6. TheoG

TheoG Moderator

Such an influential figure, inspired so many. RIP.

7. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

His bath products at my local Barry's Boot Camp locker-room were the second-best..after the Kiehl's bath products at Equinox.