Robots Threaten Survival of Modeling Industry

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by Faith Akiyama, Mar 17, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Faith Akiyama

No, the thread title isn't meant to be serious (Yet) :lol: But a recent development has certainly caught my attention:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hBPgw0VQbyc6TnS-Bdy23twH1iQg

Video:
    http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12510830&ch=4226715&src=news

Yes, the robot's walk is quite...subpar as of now -- but with the innovations of modern technology, who knows where it will be in another 10 or even 5 years? It just may blossom into something with Natasha Poly-esque skills. The manufacturer's promise of creating "any size/figure clients may request" is also something to take note of.

In all seriousness, I doubt that we will see robots substituting flesh and blood on the catwalks in our lifetime, but the mere idea of it does inspire some interesting questions: are models some of the most replaceable occupational figures in today's world? If fake, stationary mannequins populate our stores already, can fashion simply be showcased by those same mannequins -- now that they can be in motion?

For me, the answer is a simple no: even if technology creates the most perfect figure or the most extraordinary walk, the mannequin is just that: manifested humanization. Ultimately, the human psyche seeks to relate to something real/tangible, and an artificial spectacle may never reach such a depth.

(Not to mention the immense price tag that currently comes with one of these robots)

Would love to hear more thoughts on this from everyone here :flower:

#1 Faith Akiyama, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 17, 2009
  2. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

I just think that robot needs to get posted on "worst catwalkers" thread :lol:

But I think that is implausible in the near future, too distracting. And what if one goes haywire and smashes a couture dress into Susan Menkes front row, what a spectacle.

3. Faith Akiyama

:rofl:

But at least they might be able to program some that automatically beat up PETA protesters when they sense one in front of them? :innocent:

(Just kidding, not advocating violence here :eek:)

#3 Faith Akiyama, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Mar 17, 2009
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay New Member

..oooo I dunno... her walk is very distinctive and I quite like that!

I just hope most of her parts are made of aluminium because of *cough* (you know) ...matters we can only discuss in another thread...

5. wolfy

wolfy New Member

^Is that why there is so much detail put into the hands?
    Great, it can push like Nadine and walk like Sigrid
    But seriously, that was not what i was expecting when it began to walk:shock:
    I am surprised how little attention they gave the feet, considering the importance of shoes:innocent:
    Also, isn't the entire purpose of a runway show to see how clothes move, naturally on a human obviously? This is far from human and far from natural
    The results would probably be more moving on a stationary mannequin
    Interesting potential though...

6. AKing

AKing Member

Just imagine girls everywhere exchanging ideas about the robot they most want to be like, dress like or look like...
    Imagine the excited debate about the robot model with the most IT appeal; or the best signature walk..
    Imagine the witty interviews on the red carpet at opening events - or the enthralling and titlating details of the robots relationships on the front pages of People and US....

Oh, I can see it all -- can't you?