Rodarte F/W 09.10 New York

vxf288.jpg
fe2poj.jpg

339hkqp.jpg
2wmge10.jpg

nymag.com

Thanks, helmut!

I think this is wonderful and the textures are just mind blowing!...Kinga's dress is INCREDIBLE.

Thanks for the full collection! There is only one word to describe it....Genius! Everything is so beautiful. Not neccessarily original but perfectly executed. The footwear is so badas$ I love it.
Rodarte is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

NEW YORK -- They may not be couturiers in name, but sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy from Pasadena might as well be, considering the extraordinary handiwork that goes into each and every piece in their Rodarte collections. Their fall show, ostensibly inspired by the work of photographer Ari Marcopoulos (copies of his moody black-and-whites were included with the show notes), was even more complex and textural than what they have done before.

source: latimesblogs

Thanks for posting!

I really do love it. It's entirely too limited in terms of the actual clothes, but as a progression of their work it's fantastic. They really took the heart of last season, the slightly post-apocalyptic hard edge and brought it further, doing something tougher, more linear and more aggressive than they've ever done before.

To think that in the course of one year they've gone from watercolored sugar-plum fairy dresses to armored little tunics and still managed to make it all look like them, I actually think that's pretty impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love this a lot, the detailing and the textures are amazing, but it's a little too repetitve - at first sight - wich annoys me a little

Their influences are always so fascinating, no? They really do draw upon the most dynamic inspirations out of all the fashion designers in New York!

The economy implodes. Society disintegrates. Buildings crumble. We eke out a meager existence amidst the ruins. Daunting, yes—but what to wear? The Rodarte gals—sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy—answer with a line of patchwork mini dresses of luxe fabric scraps. Lace, netting, leather, Lurex, all loosely top-stitched and swaddling the body.

A cropped leather jacket is reinforced with umpteen buckled snakeskin straps. A linebacker sweater vest with gobs of wool offsets cellophane sleeves. Gloves sprout sprigs of fluff and boots are strapped round and round, up, up, up to the thigh. (Pity the poor model whose strap came undone and tripped...and tripped...and tripped as it swung round her leg like a maypole.)

Eager to share their thought process, the Mulleavys offered an inspirational lookbook in addition to the program. They included aerial photos of city streets, the lines of pavement, painted lane dividers, curbs and sidewalk stones looking, well, much like a patchwork of textures and shades. Other photos revealed a parched desert landscape of scrub brush, and a desolate warehouse or the underside of an overpass, all desolate with debris and scattered drifts of snow. In one image, a young masked boy stands proudly wearing wings. Icarus, perhaps, who flew too high and paid the price.

The dresses were of a type—"Mad Max" chic—but the color palette slowly changed from grays and bisque to hits of azure, aqua, then full-on green. Signs of a rebirth? In these dresses, you’ll look sexy either way. Where you'll wear them BEFORE civilization plunges off the abyss, we're not so sure. But if you're one of their young, edgy customers who still has some cash burning a hole in your pocket, we're confident you'll think of something, surely....
source: weblogs.amny.com

Ari Marcopoulos as an inspiration? omg i would've NEVER guessed it but i love him so it makes me happy even if i dont really see it :smile:

It bothers me that the overall mood is so close to Balenciaga's spring collection, but really, that mood is exactly right for this moment. The bleak greys, the almost garbage-like collages, and the tiny bursts of color all seem to work really well together.

And I agree with Spike, it's really great to see the Mulleavys grow their aesthetic and move it away from all of their little airy dresses and into something with a harder edge.

In my opinion, this is the first collection this season to really hit the mark, and I have a feeling it'll be the only one for the next couple of weeks. (Or more, depending on Prada...)

really interesting, thoughtful collection. I really like it and can appreciate all the effort and ideas that went into it. however, their f/w 08.09 collection is still my favourite of their's.

Wow, the sisters are really evolving. Now that I've seen the whole collection I really like it. There has to be some mineral, Mother Earth inspiration thing going on.

Here we go again, proving muccia prada's one of the most influencial designer now. I'm talking about the crispy thing going on here.

But the aesthetics of the Mulleavy sisters are still firmly grounded into the collection, which is something I really admire. The crossing of the fabrics will always be there, but this time, with metallic and different kinds of fabrics. Very interesting.

The shoes would certainly be the hot topic again.

The fabrics are amazing!:heart: Love this collection. But I hate the boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->