Roisin Murphy : Lady Gaga stole my look!

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
“It” girl Lady Gaga is famous for two things: her chart topping dance songs and her wacky fashion sense.

Fashionistas have labeled the pop star a style icon and innovator in the fashion world, but Irish singer Roisin Murphy claims the only thing original about Gaga is that she doesn’t wear pants.

Murphy called Gaga a fraud, and says she stole her look.

The former British band Moloko frontwoman and successful solo artist recently told the Daily Mail: "She's copied my style. I met her about a year ago before she got really big and I had no clue that this was all going to happen. She wasn't wearing shoulder pads at the time, and I was."

The Arklow, County Wicklow born singer is furious that the American songstress claims her oversized hats, thigh-high boots and hooded cloaks are all part of her original style.

"Lady Gaga is just a poor imitation of me," Murphy said. "She has copied my style, she took my shoulder pads and all that. Mind you she doesn't wear the bottom half!"

*irishcentral.com

and here's a block comparison that supports roisin's claim. i agree with roisin personally. who else has been donning such flamboyant and esoteric garb other than bjork? and i've always said lady gaga is nothing but a poseur anyway. music,style...and sadly no substance.

Lady Gaga Vs. Roisin Murphy - Spot The Difference
Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42am PDT by Luke Lewis in The NME Blog
It's the pop scandal of the century. Or, more accurately, it's the Twitter-trending topic of the past 20 minutes: Did Lady Gaga steal her look from Irish electro ice-maiden Roisin Murphy?

Yes she did, according to Murphy herself, who told Irish Central: "Lady Gaga is just a poor imitation of me. She has copied my style."

And the pictures, courtesy of Idolator, would seem to bear her claims out:

Thing is, Lady Gaga is far from the only musician to take visual clues from someone else. Manic Street Preachers started out aping the Clash, with their slogan T-shirts. Coldplay nicked their French revolutionary jackets from the Sgt. Pepper sleeve (via Arcade Fire). Elvis Presley pinched his "jumpsuit-era" look from comic book hero Captain Marvel Jr.

Neither is Gaga the first musician to come over all stalkerish in her commitment to aping another artist. Kasabian's Tom Meighan would clearly kill to be Liam Gallagher. Brandon Flowers flits between wanting to be Bruce Springsteen and wanting to be the Pet Shop Boys' Neil Tennant. In La Roux's head, she's a cross between Annie Lennox and Adam Ant.

What other musical wannabes are there...?

09812_155546_gagblog2.jpg

09812_154548_ladygagblog.jpg

*http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/newmusicalexpress

Roisin was wearing all of that before I ever started hearing mention of this Lady Gaga, whose music I have to admit to being completely unaware of since I haven't really had interest in seeking it out. I also haven't actually paid much attention to her look, even though I've noticed enough to know this is a definitely case of someone getting credit for someone else's look. Mostly all I notice is the mention of the constant lack of pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, Gaga has no fashion sense, they just need to stop saying she has fashion sense or is a fashion icon, because she's not, everybody could go & pick extravagant pieces of clothing from good designers and wear them and look just like her, but I don't think anybody likes to look like a hooker all the time.

Well it does seems Gaga copied her, Murphy looks way better than Gaga and well Murphy actually is pretty, same doesn't happen to Gaga. Gaga needs to seriously get lost, I'm sick and tired of her!

I think trannies should be free to counterpart their idols however they please.

I think making it sound like Roisin originated any of this is unfair. None of this is original, and really the both of them owe much of their looks to Mugler.

This crap always goes on though, and I always feel that, were the accuser secure enough in the fact that they're truly original, they wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to it because the majority of people would already be aware.

And another thing, those comparisons (save for the second one) only focus on the head/headgear which is not enough to prove that one copied the other. Focus on the entire outfits and see how similar they are.

not sure Gaga has 'stole' Murphy's look ...
But it's for sure an inspiration ...

anyway, I'm really suprised Murphy goes into these kind of teen-ish games ...
It's disappointing from her !

Lady gag Gag didn't steal her look. People need to undertsand that she is a mere object not the brains. her marketing have fiercely worked to make her happen and she only does what she is told to do.

She is not some sort of avant garde genius, not even origanal to come up with her own ideas. Merely a tool to entertain the gullible. That's why i will never get into her.

Lady gag Gag didn't steal her look. People need to that she is a mere object not the brains. her marketing have fiercely worked to make her happen and she only does what she is told to do.

She is not some sort of avant garde genius, not even origanal to come up with her own ideas. Merely a tool to entertain the gullible. That's why i will never get into her.
You could not be more wrong........her clothes are made by Haus of Gaga which she personally oversees.You may not like her,you may think she's unoriginal,you may think her music is terrible,but Lady Gaga is not a mindless automaton who aks "what do you want me to do now??? How high should I jump???" For better or worse Lady Gaga is doing it exactly how she wants to do it

bleh.

i don't care how original or unoriginal Lady Gag is. Either way she looks atrocious and is responsible for a heck of alot of burnt retinas what with the shockers she comes up with.

You could not be more wrong........her clothes are made by Haus of Gaga which she personally oversees.You may not like her,you may think she's unoriginal,you may think her music is terrible,but Lady Gaga is not a mindless automaton who aks "what do you want me to do now??? How high should I jump???" For better or worse Lady Gaga is doing it exactly how she wants to do it

:lol: no my dear, it's not actually House of Gaga is house of Gag :ninja:

and of course she writes her own lyrics, produces her own songs, and doesn't have a stylist or bulldog PR team. How foolish of me.

:lol: no my dear, it's not actually House of Gaga is house of Gag :ninja:

and of course she writes her own lyrics, produces her own songs, and doesn't have a stylist or bulldog PR team. How foolish of me.
I undestand what you are saying she does have "The Machine" behind her but in your original statement you said "she is only doing what she is told to do" which is simply not true and this is TFS and this thread is about the way she dreeses as opposed to Roisin Murphy.....No one is telling Lady Gaga "this is how you should dress" that's all coming from her,and how could it not,it's to outrageous to not be.

You have no proof that she decides what she wears; just like I know she doesn't.

and I can talk about what i like to (and yes my point does relate to this thread).
She is not copying Rosin Murphy, the responsibility isn't hers but rather her PR team who have obviously studied others.
Nothing is remotely organic about her. such a waste and her fans can hate me if they want to. she is as manufactured as Brtiney. At least with Rosin there has been a certain style evolution and I don't eblieve she has the means/team being her like GAg do.

Fake, $2 fashion icon.

I honestly didn't know who was Roisin Murphy before this article came out, if someone is stealing your look than deal with it it's not that serious, Lady Gaga maybe has a interesting style but NONE of them come close to Peaches in my eyes.

I can't remember but I think it was Vivienne Westwood who was asked once "Has anyone ever stole your ideas???" the designer stated "yes all the time" the interviewer asked "what do you do???" the designer stated "come up with more ideas" I absolutely loved it!!!! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right??? If Lady Gaga is siphoning her style and I was Roisin Murphy I'd be like "damn straight it's cuz I'm so badass!!!" But like you I really didn't know who Roisin Murphy actually was until tonight.I have several Moloko songs but never knew the name of the singer,but I was thinking maybe it was smart of her to bring it up cuz I downloaded a bunch of Roisin Murphy tonight.....

I seriously doubt Roisin cares. But er, if she does...well...I wouldn't want to take her on.

no it was a question posed to roisin regarding gaga and roisin responded,counting her dislike over her repetitiveness. and roisin isn't the one putting this out there like this the media is...nme took the article and emphasised roisin's quotes. that's all.

and who's to say a person can't call another so-called artist out like this? i feel as if you're being copied then you should be able to expose them. especially if those said artists go about thinking they're the high priestess of all things extraordinary and innovative. not. and yes,i do think roisin's manner of style IS highly original. again,who other than bjork has explored this more adventurous sense of expression without looking redundant? and anyone who's been a fan or knows of roisin reasonably well,know she has been doing such things since she was in moloko. so it's not like what she's saying has no substance.

and give me a break with the PR/puppet crap. gaga gets on her little pretentious bandwagon all the time thinking what she does is some serious form of art when in fact all it is britney-style pop/dance. and wasn't it gaga who claimed xtina was stealing her style? it goes both ways dearies. i mean you cannot claim originality when you aren't really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->